PDA

View Full Version : I think I need to give up dairy *sniff sniff*

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mnokat
Wed, May-15-13, 17:40
So I started back eating clean again on May 1st. Have been SUPER clean, as I'm going to take this as an opportunity to eliminate trigger and reaction foods. After 2 weeks of eating nothing but meat, eggs, mayo and coconut milk & oil, I decided to add cheese today and see what happens.

Know what happened? I had the hungry horrors! And bloated! Left work with my stomach growling for the first time in 2 weeks, ate 3/4 lb of steak tips and some cheese and still wanted to eat more. I ate >2400 calories today - when I've have been averaging between 1400-1700. have built a cup of herbal tea w/Coconut Oil into that number for this evening in the hopes that it will cut the cravings for bedtime.

I've been so excited to add dairy back as it's such a source of variety. :tears:

Going to eat clean again for a few days and then try my plain full fat mediterranean yogurt that I love. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction.

So very sad. *sniff* *sniff* :cry:

livinright
Wed, May-15-13, 18:13
Giving up dairy is a little hard at first. But after you realize how much better things are without it, it's an easier choices to make.
I know if I eat most types of dairy, I need to be prepared for a spike on the scale and possibly not losing for a week. I'm usually not willing to pay that price for a little cheese. But occasionally, I do.
I use mayo and avocado when I want something creamy. So I still get the same kind of mouth feel.
I am able to eat yogurt with no problems. Maybe you will be able to as well. But it's like most of the foods in my current diet, I could take it or leave it with no problem. If it's something I look forward to, it calls my name from the kitchen, or has any emotion attached to it, out it goes because it's likely a problem food.
When you get closer to maintenance, you may want to try each type of cheese individually. As your body may react differently to each type.

Nancy LC
Wed, May-15-13, 19:06
I occasionally add back cheese then kick myself. I do exactly like you do, overeat it.

Whofan
Wed, May-15-13, 19:23
I hear your pain. I've been losing weight again nicely by quitting cheese but like a fool I had a small piece of cheese yesterday for the first time in weeks. Before the night was out I'd finished the whole thing, at least 8oz. This evening I had a few tablespoons of greek yogurt. Prior to the cheese incident that used to be enough. It's 9PM now and I've just finished the entire tub of yogurt. At least it wasn't the largest 'family' size but pretty big anyway. I blame the cheese for triggering this sudden appetite for dairy. So, once again, I remind myself that I can't do little pieces of cheese any more than I used to be able to eat one potato chip, or 2 M&Ms, or a french fry. Frustrating, but it is what it is. Sigh.

mnokat
Thu, May-16-13, 06:21
I occasionally add back cheese then kick myself. I do exactly like you do, overeat it.
Giving up dairy is a little hard at first. But after you realize how much better things are without it, it's an easier choices to make.
I know if I eat most types of dairy, I need to be prepared for a spike on the scale and possibly not losing for a week. I'm usually not willing to pay that price for a little cheese. But occasionally, I do.

So, once again, I remind myself that I can't do little pieces of cheese any more than I used to be able to eat one potato chip, or 2 M&Ms, or a french fry. Frustrating, but it is what it is. Sigh.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I think its going to be the same for me. It's okay. I've done it for the past two weeks, I can keep going with it forward. Its good to know it's such a trigger though. I know last time around I wasn't very good at limiting the dairy, don't even think I tried to actually. Maybe this time I'll actually break the 215 mark that seems impossible for me to get under. :)

Think I may even wait on trying the yogurt and go straight to adding in some LC veggies. M&E is great to jumpstart me and get my cravings under control, but I need a little variety and a little crunch. :) I'm really glad I'm adding things back in slowly so that I can really see the reactions - I've never really done that before.

Kate

zeph317
Thu, May-16-13, 06:52
i was really sad when i had to give up cheese too but it was less painful than i thought it would be, fortunately. it is something i'll still have on occasion, but i always regret it. hopefully i'll just leave it alone from now on!

deelane
Thu, May-16-13, 07:23
While I'm able to have cheese in small amounts(maybe and ounce or two),I started losing weight again after cutting out cream in my coffee. I add a bit of coconut oil and some stevia. My doctor suggested using d-ribose instead of stevia,for the sweetness and the health benefits. I do use a whey protein powder in my smoothies along with almond or coconut milk. The transition from cream to black coffee was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Good luck!

Nancy LC
Thu, May-16-13, 08:16
I also agree with Zeph, it is easier to give up dairy than you think. It always seems so incredibly difficult, but when I actually do it I wonder what all the fuss was over. :)

Now, having said that, I'm not a super picky about it. If I'm served a salad with cheese, or something LC with dairy, I will eat it, but I don't buy it or bring it home.

On the other hand, I'm super strict about gluten because that impacts my health and brain so incredibly.

I've also been making a "paleo" creamer for my coffee I love.

1 Can of coconut cream
1 whole raw egg
non-caloric sweetener to taste (or SF syrup) [optional]

Whip with a beater or stick blender until it is almost like whipped cream.

I've tried it without the raw egg and it really doesn't do it for me. Some people just use the yolk, but my coconut cream from Trader Joe's is so thick I use a whole one.

WereBear
Fri, May-17-13, 05:20
Its good to know it's such a trigger though. I know last time around I wasn't very good at limiting the dairy, don't even think I tried to actually. Maybe this time I'll actually break the 215 mark that seems impossible for me to get under. :)

I think that's a great attitude. It's similar to my own realization that I need to ditch wheat for more reasons than the whopping carbs it has. I went for years, low carbing, with very minimal wheat, but only by cutting it out entirely did I notice the health (arthritis subsiding in a big way!) and weight (lost an inch or so off my waist without changing anything else) changes that came from it.

Now, you couldn't make me eat it! I make paleo goodies if I really want something like it.

I'm really glad I'm adding things back in slowly so that I can really see the reactions - I've never really done that before.

That has been my refinement over the last couple of years; it does wonders for maintenance, or, like now, ditching some extra pounds that crept in because of a health problem.

Deciduous
Fri, May-17-13, 07:03
Dairy has, historically, been my very favourite food and I couldn't imagine giving it up, and never tried! This year I did and for the first time since I was a kid my skin cleared up (ugh! I was so mad!) - still coming up with a plan of action to test the causal relationship ;)

teaser
Fri, May-17-13, 07:45
I've taken myself off cream in my coffee (mostly). One cup of coffee with cream a day, and if I want more, I drink it black. I was drinking at least half of my calories as cream in coffee--maybe seven or eight cups a day.

My coffee habit immediately divided in half or more. My weight's going down on what seems like a lot more food.

I'm fine with cheese as long as there's other people around. Once I'm alone in the house--I'm melting it in the microwave on tomatoes, onions, salami,olives, whatever's on hand. I'll go through a pound of the stuff, and still be hungry.

Butter and cream cheese don't seem to be a problem, and heavily buttering cheese--more butter than cheese--cuts consumption way down.

2thinchix
Fri, May-17-13, 10:31
I've taken myself off cream in my coffee (mostly). One cup of coffee with cream a day, and if I want more, I drink it black. I was drinking at least half of my calories as cream in coffee--maybe seven or eight cups a day.

I think I'm doing the same thing - I have a couple "extra large" cofees with double cream every day...and (secret revealed here) I also like to have an after-dinner "treat' of a glass of diet root beer with a bit of cream added. I KNOW I'm over my 3 tablespoons a day, and I know it is a ridiculous thing to be wasting calories on!! I'll have to remember what someone above said - that anything you "look forward to" might be a trigger food.

Nancy LC
Fri, May-17-13, 11:27
I think that paleo creamer I posted would taste awesome in root beer. I need to try it.

mnokat
Fri, May-17-13, 16:53
We need a 'like' button on here.

2 days after my cheese experiment, I'm feeling much better. Was still a little extra hungry yesterday, so had a cup of herbal tea with coconut oil before bed... I don't recommend doing that if you go work out at 5:30 am. .. Today's been fine otherwise.

I've decided the yogurt can wait. I want veggies back first. :)

mike_d
Fri, May-17-13, 20:07
I don't see why cream would be a problem if butter isn't? I think the problem with cheese is the protein and lactose in it, maybe I am incorrect.

"No one can eat just one." That truth makes me wonder how those 100 calorie snack packs were such a welcomed success for dieters -- or were they?

LOOPS
Sat, May-18-13, 07:39
some people do ok with cream and butter but not with cheese. It is the casein usually that is the problem. I can do some cream and am fine with butter but cheese really messes me up, both mentally and physically. Having said that, I didn't really lose much weight giving up diary completely and preferred having at least butter in there as a fat source - but that depends on what people like. The meat here is very lean grass fed so added fat is a must. I am not a fan of coconut oil.

costello22
Sat, May-18-13, 08:53
We need a 'like' button on here.

Yes, we do. Sometimes I just want to give a thumbs up without making a full comment.

For this thread I have a comment. :) I'd like to add my voice to those who are saying that giving up dairy is easier than you'd think. I gave up dairy as part of an experiment about 3 and a half months ago. For some reason, of all the foods/food groups I've given up over the years, this one caused me the most angst. I don't know if it was because I wasn't convinced it would help or because I'd given up so much already, but the thought of giving up dairy nearly threw me into a panic. A day or two in, I realized how easy it was. I seldom think about or crave dairy. I can't say the same about the carby foods I loved so much. :(

costello22
Sat, May-18-13, 08:57
I've also been making a "paleo" creamer for my coffee I love.

1 Can of coconut cream
1 whole raw egg
non-caloric sweetener to taste (or SF syrup) [optional]

I saw this in another thread and keep meaning to try it. I think I even have some coconut cream around here. It was your comment in the other thread not to add it to hot coffee or it would cook the egg that's made me hesitate. :)

ETA: What I have is not coconut cream. It's creamed coconut. I picked it up at the store a month or so ago, because it looked so good, but I don't know what to do with it.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/NF155002S.jpg

mnokat
Tue, May-21-13, 11:23
I do use coconut oil (in my tea or coffee), and will cook with it when I'm just cooking for myself. My DH hates anything to do with coconut, so if it even smells like it a little bit he won't eat it. So I tend to cook with butter, and definitely top off my steaks with some lovely pastured butter. So far, no problems on that front.

I couldn't find coconut cream but the Coconut Milk I found has the following PER TABLESPOON, so I think it's probably close to whatever 'coconut cream' is:
Energy 30 kcal
Carbohydrate, by difference 0.50 g
Sugars, total 0.25 g
Fiber, total dietary 0.00 g
Protein 0.20 g
Total lipid (fat) 3.00 g
Fatty acids, total trans 0.000 g
Fatty acids, total saturated 2.748 g
Additional Data
Lipids
Fatty acids, total saturated 2.748 g
Fatty acids, total trans 0.000 g

And I have the same question about the egg going into hot coffee...?

Costello, if you can eat nuts, Coconut Milk (or creamed coconut would probably work just fine), peanut butter and Sirhaccha (sp?) makes an awesome Thai-style peanut sauce! Or, mix it with curry spices for a coconut-curry - yum!

Kate

Nancy LC
Tue, May-21-13, 11:37
The coconut cream I get from Trader Joe's is so thick you can't even stir it. It has a lot of coconut solids in it and probably a lot of fat too. There's a bit of water as well, but it separates out.

You can find coconut cream in Asian markets too. I don't remember it being as solid as the stuff I get at TJ's.

2thinchix
Tue, May-21-13, 11:40
I can't find coconut cream where I live - I found creamed coconut but it was 26g of sugar per 2 TBS serving - first ingredient on the label was sugar - so it is clearly NOT the same thing as Nancy was talking about.

Nancy LC
Tue, May-21-13, 12:07
You can certainly buy it online. Do you have any Asian grocery stores in your area?

2thinchix
Tue, May-21-13, 14:17
Me? No, very rural area. I'll have to do the online route, if I can find a Canadian supplier :-) If I remember correctly Trader Joe's either doesn't ship to Canada, or charges exhorbitant shipping rates.

melibsmile
Tue, May-21-13, 17:30
Check Amazon. They have nearly everything and do ship to Canada I believe :)

--Melissa

deirdra
Tue, May-21-13, 19:27
There is a Canadian supplier of Tropical Traditions:http://tropicaltraditionscanada.com/coconutcreamconcentrate.html

Kristine
Wed, May-22-13, 06:00
I'm in the dairy-free club right now. Mainly experimental, I suppose. I know I was getting myself into trouble because of biking, increased appetite, eating much more produce (ie carbs), and too much cheese. I suddenly found unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze much more likeable in my coffee, and I'm motivated enough to put up with the hassle, so I figured, "what the heck." I'm very curious to see if I'm sensitive to it and which products specifically.

It's a hassle for me because it's hard to replace the dairy with something decent on a tight budget. My two big stumbling blocks: almond milk for my coffee is more expensive (and less enjoyable) than cream, and I hate vinegary dressings and sauces, so there go all of my salad dressings.

My current plan is to add back one thing at a time and see what it does to me. The salad dressings will be first. I think they might be the least offensive, because the only dairy ingredient is buttermilk powder and it's not like I'm drinking it by the cup.

What's getting me through right now is garlic mayo. I'm obsessed with it. I put that sh*t on EVERYTHING. I'm even going to bring my garlic powder to work so I can make a huge batch... and maybe even share it with my coworkers.

On my to-do list: get some tahini and try some dressing recipes, get some coconut milk and try the creamer recipe. I'm not near an Asian grocery store, so I'll have to try it with regular coconut milk and cross my fingers. I assume it'll just be more watery.

Nancy LC
Wed, May-22-13, 07:40
Try the paleo creamer. It might be cheaper. The challenge is finding a really, really dense coconut cream. I tried it with coconut milk and didn't like it so well. With coconut cream though, it is heavenly.

For salad dressing, what about one using avocado, EVOO, and lemon juice as a base? Oh yes, you might try seasoned rice vinegar too. It is very mild.

Can you share how you make garlic mayo? :) Sounds good!

Nancy LC
Wed, May-22-13, 07:43
Me? No, very rural area. I'll have to do the online route, if I can find a Canadian supplier :-) If I remember correctly Trader Joe's either doesn't ship to Canada, or charges exhorbitant shipping rates.
Ah, you're in Canada. Your location isn't set, so I couldn't tell.

There are places on the web, probably some of them even in Canada or ship to Canada.

I don't know if importfoods.com does or not, but I have used them.

Amazon is a good choice, but read the reviews. Some of the Asian coconut cream brands, like Savoy, are basically just coconut milk.

livinright
Wed, May-22-13, 09:49
Kristine,
I eat mayo on about everything too. Thin it out with a little water and add spices, garlic or mustard, and it makes a nice salad dressing.
My kids liked this better than store bought honey mustard:
2 parts mayo
1 part mustard
1 part water
little brown sugar twin to taste. ( Splenda would probably work too. I know I can't get brown sugar twin here anymore. When my last box is gone, I'll have to order it online.)

mnokat
Wed, May-22-13, 11:05
The Coconut Milk I get is thin-ish straight out of the can. However, when I put the remainder in the fridge, the next day its thicker thank whipped cream. Very tempting to just eat it by the spoonful!

teaser
Wed, May-22-13, 13:48
ETA: What I have is not coconut cream. It's creamed coconut. I picked it up at the store a month or so ago, because it looked so good, but I don't know what to do with it.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/NF155002S.jpg

I just eat it like a chocolate bar.

Kristine
Thu, May-23-13, 05:24
Nancy, I'll keep that in mind. Big 'duh' moment - my BF lives in the city with the largest Chinese population in Ontario and there's a giant Asian grocery store a stone's throw from him. I'll have to get him to take me there next time I'm there. I'm sure they'll have Savoy. I think it was you who said Savoy was thinner than what you have now, but hopefully, it'll work.

Christina, that's my other current obsession - honey mustard with the mayo! I just use a tad because I'm sure the sugar content is high, but I like the taste. I never used to. I'll have to find a sugar-free recipe.

Someone wanted my garlic mayo "recipe" - it's just mayo with garlic powder and Splenda (or sweetener) to taste. For about a cup of mayo, a couple of shakes of garlic powder and one packet of Splenda (or whatever other sweetener/sugar). Stir really well.

Here's something nice I used to do with coconut cream. It turns out remarkably like chocolate soft serve and doesn't taste overly coconutty. Empty a can into a large mixing bowl. Add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and sugar or sweetener to taste. Mix with an electric mixer, immersion blender, etc. The cocoa powder will thicken it more, and chilling it in the fridge will make it reeeeeally thick, yet somewhat fluffy. I think it would be *fantastic* with a few drops of mint extract and maybe some 80% chocolate broken into it.

Creamed coconut: I like to eat it straight up, like Teaser. It can be melted into curries, although I don't really like the texture. It's rather gritty. I think I've made some nice confections out of it by melting it together with chocolate and splenda/sweetener.