PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes: Vegetables or Fruits?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy LC
Sat, May-11-13, 08:13
This is interesting! I always figured we called them vegetables because in culinary applications they are used that way, with savory applications.

Botanically, they're called fruits because that is how they function. They have seeds.

However, tomatoes have a little more interesting history than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden

This is the 120th anniversary of the tomato being a vegetable because of the above ruling.

:lol:

WereBear
Sat, May-11-13, 11:27
Botanically, they are fruits! But for that matter, so are avocados, which are similarly seen as savory.

teaser
Sat, May-11-13, 11:27
Sort of off-topic, but apparently superhero mutants and mutates are legally non-human. The way for a real-world Mutant Registration Act is cleared.

Toy Biz v. United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toy Biz v. United States [1] was a 2003 decision in the United States Court of International Trade that determined that for purposes of tariffs, Toy Biz's action figures were toys, not dolls, because they represented "nonhuman creatures." This decision effectively reduced the tariff rate by a factor of two.

[edit]Background

U.S. law distinguishes between two types of action figures for determining tariffs: dolls, which are defined to include human figures, and toys, which include "nonhuman creatures". Because duties on dolls were higher than on toys, Marvel Comics subsidiary Toy Biz argued before the U.S. Court of International Trade, that their action figures (including the X-Men and Fantastic Four) represented "nonhuman creatures" and were subject to the lower tariff rates for toys instead of the higher ones for dolls. On January 3, 2003, after examining more than 60 action figures, Judge Judith Barzilay ruled in their favor, granting Toy Biz reimbursement for import taxes on previous toys.

Katfishy
Sat, May-11-13, 13:09
I have to ask because I don't follow a specific plan... do plans like Atkins consider tomatoes fruits or vegetables? Is it a controversial issue? :P

~teaser
Thanks for sharing! That cracked me up. I think as fellow humans we should all be concerned about legal discrimination against mutants. :(

Elizellen
Sat, May-11-13, 14:36
Atkins includes tomatoes, as well as peppers, aubergines (eggplants) courgettes (zucchini) [which are also really fruits], as being vegetables and they are allowed on the induction veg lists.

RobLL
Sun, May-12-13, 09:15
Dr B counts tomatoes, yellow peppers (nor others), and onions as higher carb, on basis that they raise BGs. I am able to consume all three but not in high quantities.