PDA

View Full Version : I think I found my reason for failure

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lorreen
Thu, Apr-25-13, 12:30
I believe now that reason why I kept failing in my. Diet was the inclusion of sweetners. Anytime I put sweetner on my tea I would be fighting urges all day to not eat sweetened food. I have decided this time around to completely eliminate it and see what becomes of this low carb diet

Elizellen
Thu, Apr-25-13, 12:52
:thup: Good for you, Lorreen!! :thup:

Killing off that pesky sweet tooth is one key to making low carb eating work for many of us.

ojoj
Thu, Apr-25-13, 14:24
Yes, I'd agree with that - the sweet tooth is addictive!

Jo xxx

WereBear
Thu, Apr-25-13, 15:52
Good for you!

Staying away from "sweet" sharpens the tastebuds. Soon, other things will taste even better.

Blackstone
Thu, Apr-25-13, 16:10
Good for you!!! :) I find myself using them on occasion but as a rule. I stay far away from that stuff. Stevia is a much better sub for sweet. Not Truvia though...Stevia. :) Good luck to you!

mike_d
Thu, Apr-25-13, 20:24
Even plain tea can give me hunger pangs on an empty stomach. Something about it's supposed to mimic insulins effect? When I was following IF I could have some coffee while fasting, but not tea, not even unsweetened iced tea.

Lorreen
Thu, Apr-25-13, 20:46
:thup: Good for you, Lorreen!! :thup:

Killing off that pesky sweet tooth is one key to making low carb eating work for many of us.

Agreed. I feel like sweetener deceived my body into thinking it needs junk all the time even though you are trying to do the right thing by eating these. "Sweeteners" it's so sad! I noticed it most when I had the atkins bars. I would have cravings for days and days!

Lorreen
Thu, Apr-25-13, 20:47
Even plain tea can give me hunger pangs on an empty stomach. Something about it's supposed to mimic insulins effect? When I was following IF I could have some coffee while fasting, but not tea, not even unsweetened iced tea.
I have also noticed that with myself unless it's peppermint tea. Any other other tea and it leaves me with a sugar craving

Lorreen
Thu, Apr-25-13, 20:48
Good for you!!! :) I find myself using them on occasion but as a rule. I stay far away from that stuff. Stevia is a much better sub for sweet. Not Truvia though...Stevia. :) Good luck to you!
Where can I find stevia?

Blackstone
Thu, Apr-25-13, 22:20
Hi Lorreen - More and more stores carry it but I'm not sure where you're located. Fred Meyers carries it and so do a lot of health food stores. You can also order it online. This link is not the kind I use but it's just an example. But I've been told to stay away from the "Truvia" brand of stevia. Bad stuff in it.
http://www.stevia.com/

lausie
Fri, Apr-26-13, 03:31
I remember the first time I followed Atkins back in the early 2000's - I didn't touch ANYTHING sweet, artificial or otherwise. After about 6 months I had a can of diet coke - I couldn't believe how disgustingly sweet it was!!

Funny how your taste buds adapt, after falling off the wagon, diet coke tastes bland, unsweet & foul to me now!

WereBear
Fri, Apr-26-13, 04:59
I have also noticed that with myself unless it's peppermint tea. Any other other tea and it leaves me with a sugar craving

Peppermint tea and coconut oil is my dinner lately. (I am eating a BIG lunch a day.)

Daci
Fri, Apr-26-13, 05:45
I use Stevia in tea and coffee,but it does not make me crave sweet stuff.
I have a whole carton of strawberries in the fride i got from a farm stand and whipped cream (sweetened with Stevia) I've eaten 3 in two weeks!
Meanwhile,a friend,who got some at the same time I did,has eaten his whole carton and is working on his second one!

Lorreen
Fri, Apr-26-13, 06:44
I use Stevia in tea and coffee,but it does not make me crave sweet stuff.
I have a whole carton of strawberries in the fride i got from a farm stand and whipped cream (sweetened with Stevia) I've eaten 3 in two weeks!
Meanwhile,a friend,who got some at the same time I did,has eaten his whole carton and is working on his second one!

Well I will look into the stevia!

Lorreen
Fri, Apr-26-13, 06:45
I remember the first time I followed Atkins back in the early 2000's - I didn't touch ANYTHING sweet, artificial or otherwise. After about 6 months I had a can of diet coke - I couldn't believe how disgustingly sweet it was!!

Funny how your taste buds adapt, after falling off the wagon, diet coke tastes bland, unsweet & foul to me now!

I can't wait till this is me and candies!

chuck41
Fri, Apr-26-13, 08:00
I have always been a chocaholic and love sweet desserts. After starting on LC I ate Atkins bars until they started causing stalls. Loved those that are like a snickers bar. They helped me get over the huge desire to constantly eat sugary sweet desserts. Didn't feel so deprived when I could look forward to a sweet candy at night.
Can't stand coffee without sweetener. Use sweet n low/splenda along with non-dairy creamer with that. Been trying to switch to stevia, but so far it just tastes nasty or bitter to me. Four months since I ate stuff like ice cream, chocolate cake or banana pudding. When at a buffet I can now go and get one for my wife and no longer even feel tempted. She feels a little guilty eating stuff like that in front of me but it doesn't bother me any more. Thats great. Its good to have her feel a bit guilty. Then she feels compelled to do nice things for me. :)
We are going to Branson in a couple weeks ane the Golden Coral there has the most delicious chocolate cream pie. :yum: LC or not I am gonna enjoy a couple pieces of those! That's worth a day or so of renewed cravings! Even the cave man stumbled across a sweet fruit or a honey tree once in a while. :agree:

Daci
Sat, Apr-27-13, 10:34
Well I will look into the stevia!

I've read it does not spike your blood sugar. You can also cook with it and make chocolate with it.
Chuck , the Atkins bars have the cheap fake sugars that will spike your insulin.

Lorreen
Sat, Apr-27-13, 13:30
I have always been a chocaholic and love sweet desserts. After starting on LC I ate Atkins bars until they started causing stalls. Loved those that are like a snickers bar. They helped me get over the huge desire to constantly eat sugary sweet desserts. Didn't feel so deprived when I could look forward to a sweet candy at night.
Can't stand coffee without sweetener. Use sweet n low/splenda along with non-dairy creamer with that. Been trying to switch to stevia, but so far it just tastes nasty or bitter to me. Four months since I ate stuff like ice cream, chocolate cake or banana pudding. When at a buffet I can now go and get one for my wife and no longer even feel tempted. She feels a little guilty eating stuff like that in front of me but it doesn't bother me any more. Thats great. Its good to have her feel a bit guilty. Then she feels compelled to do nice things for me. :)
We are going to Branson in a couple weeks ane the Golden Coral there has the most delicious chocolate cream pie. :yum: LC or not I am gonna enjoy a couple pieces of those! That's worth a day or so of renewed cravings! Even the cave man stumbled across a sweet fruit or a honey tree once in a while. :agree:
Thanks for your inspiration

Whofan
Sat, Apr-27-13, 16:57

Yes, but he didn't stumble across a couple of pieces of chocolate cream pie. There are people on these forums who found even one piece of pie lead to years off the wagon and enormous weight gain. One of the most insightful things I read here, which helped get me to goal and stay there, was that until we stop thinking of those kinds on non-foods as "treats" there will always be occasions when we convince ourselves we want/deserve/must have them. So, for what it's worth, I'm passing it on. That said, I sincerely wish you to have a wonderful time in Branson, that the cravings are managable, and that you can climb back on the wagon after the pies.

JordanS
Sun, Apr-28-13, 17:03
I cant do aspartame without getting sweets cravings. And not normal cravings, theyre more like the craving for blood that vampires must feel...

Stevia and splenda have no cravings effect, but splenda does give be indigestion. Stevia is fine on things cold, but I think its super bitter and gross once heated.

ANY domino foods are likely bad for you. Eating cheese as a topping is fine for me, but if I just eat cheese by itself, I feel like Ive eaten nothing. Many of my clients report the same with nuts, whey powder, cheese, etc.

Stay away from domino foods!

HeatherG73
Mon, Apr-29-13, 10:09
The only "sweet" thing that I have a day is my one cup of coffee with heavy cream and a touch of stevia. I was addicted to crystal lite, but since being off of that, the inches lost is much faster. I like water again...I used to hate it!!! I had a sip of pop the other day and almost died because of the sweetness. I do not miss it at all!

Lorreen
Mon, Apr-29-13, 11:22
The only "sweet" thing that I have a day is my one cup of coffee with heavy cream and a touch of stevia. I was addicted to crystal lite, but since being off of that, the inches lost is much faster. I like water again...I used to hate it!!! I had a sip of pop the other day and almost died because of the sweetness. I do not miss it at all!

You are the only person in this post that I can actually relate to in the post. I felt like sweetner was still fueling the fire for the sugar i craved, and I hope to be like you!