PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be living in a hotel for a week...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

2thinchix
Wed, Apr-24-13, 11:47
with a fridge (tiny, I assume) and microwave. Trying to figure out what I'm going to eat! Any ideas? I haven't got much further than deli meat and veggies...

Ilikemice
Wed, Apr-24-13, 12:07
If you have a microwave there you can get one of those little plastic poached egg cookers (mine holds two eggs). I found it at the grocery store. And, you can cook bacon in the microwave.

anglgrl
Wed, Apr-24-13, 13:48
Canned tuna. Nuts (if you eat them).

keith v
Wed, Apr-24-13, 14:06
you can cook eggs with nothing more than a bowl and a fork.
Just whip up the eggs to a nice froth and micro for about 45 seconds each.
Comes out like a quiche ;)

HeatherG73
Wed, Apr-24-13, 16:32
I make bacon in the micro all the time. Turns out great. You can get the precook end roasted chickens from the grocery store and make a salad. Lots of stuff in the deli too.

indie
Wed, Apr-24-13, 19:04
Small containers of mayo and mustard so you can make egg and tuna salads.

Maybe try the rotisserie whole chicken from the deli at the grocery store.

Be sure to buy some small containers or Ziplocs that will fit in your small fridge!

Yoga11
Wed, Apr-24-13, 19:24
prepare a head of time... you don't want to just get so flustered you cheat of something...

here is a great recipe to make at home and take with you: (if you eat nuts)
Macaroon recipes Cook them, then wait till the next day (put in fridge) and they harden
3/4 cup fine ground blanched almond flour (like Honeyville)
1 1/2 cup “Let’s Do Organic" unsweetened shredded coconut*
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon raw honey or vegan alternative
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of unrefined sea salt
take an ice cream scooper and pack in the "dough" tap them out on the cookie sheet.
they seem too loose, BUT THEY AREN"T! after you bake them they are so soft you will think u did it wrong
BUT YOU DIDN"T. wait for 3-4 hours tip firmer put in tupperware and store in fridge they get hard the next day.
I spray the inside with coconut oil spray (they now carry at my TJ's!!!!)
bake at 190 for 50 minutes on parchment paper.

when u get to your hotel room see how much u can fit in the fridge... maybe u can ask for 2? I don't see why they wouldn't if they have extra. Go to the local grocery store and buy fruit (maybe just for this week since you don't have a kitchen and if it helps u not cheat this could be a good thing), veggies, sour cream mix with half a packet of onion mix (to dip veggies and stays well in a mini fridge), loads of water, bottled unsweetend tea, cucumber (maybe at the grocery store u can get a knife to cut up ur veggies or just ask the hotel!), sliced tomato and mozzarella w olive oil, all those u can buy when you get where you are and store at the hotel. maybe bring in your suitcase some tupperware to store things in your fridge (if u make egg salad or tuna salad) and at the store when u are there buy plastic wrap :) so things stay good in the minifridge. good luck!

Robin120
Wed, Apr-24-13, 19:43
great ideas above- make sure you have utensils (especially a knife that will cut anything like hard cheese, where plastic won't do).

JordanS
Wed, Apr-24-13, 20:06
Bring a crockpot. Prepare food in the morning and eat at night. Its not hard to chop a bunch of celery and carrots, salt and pepper, add a half stick of butter, a chunk of meat and bam, home cooked meal.

You can also add eggs into the water, and they will be hard boiled eventually too.

yarralea
Wed, Apr-24-13, 20:20
sardines in extra virgin olive oil. They are my purse pack food, my desk stash and a go to when at home.

and good butter. A sliver of the good stuff will see you get through a few hours in an emergency.

dcgoodin
Thu, Apr-25-13, 06:26
Salad fixings & dressing, - since there is a fridge, you could bring it with you pre-made possibly. Boil some eggs to bring along.... It would depend on the location of the hotel too, if there is a grocery store close by you could stop in and get your meal fixings and not have to stock up for the whole week.

sexym2
Thu, Apr-25-13, 09:42
Its been a long time, but we were on vacation and staying in a small cabin. I didn't want to clean much so I was careful about what we made. We made eggs and bacon in the microwave, went to the store every other day so bought meats and veggies. Brought a crock pot and a small stove burner, worked really well.

We saved alot of money buy cooking it all ourselves, and it was kinda fun thinking up what we wanted to eat and how to cook them. We went to a grocery store (mom and pop style) and shopped. For some reason, it was the highlight of our vacation.

chuck41
Thu, Apr-25-13, 09:54
We love the Caribbean. Stayed in a place on the shore there about three years ago. Bought food at local grocery and fixed most of our meals there. Had all kinds of delightful tropical delicacies. Just had to step outside to snorkle among the coral reef formations or eat on the patio overlooking the ocean.

samissa
Thu, Apr-25-13, 10:22
The crockpot ideas are gold. I had never thought about taking a crockpot to a hotel without a kitchen. So smart! I will definitely do that next time!!!!

2thinchix
Thu, Apr-25-13, 10:38
Thanks for all the great ideas! It is a business trip to a city, so I'll definitely be able to go to the grocery store and re-stock a bit.

zeph317
Thu, Apr-25-13, 10:43
i think the crockpot idea is great too! can't believe i never thought of that. how simple and perfect!

chuck41
Thu, Apr-25-13, 11:02
i think the crockpot idea is great too! can't believe i never thought of that. how simple and perfect!
I do hope God richly blessed the inventer of the crockpot.

Yoga11
Thu, Apr-25-13, 18:17
can you bring a crockpot on a plane? what if this person has to fly!?

Elizellen
Fri, Apr-26-13, 06:28
I don't see why not unless it exceeds the luggage allowance.

kitann
Fri, Apr-26-13, 09:17
I've had good luck with a pot type rice cooker too. They cook a bit faster than a crock pot but hold the food nice and warm for(almost)ever. They weigh a lot less, are smaller and pretty cheap.

sexym2
Sat, Apr-27-13, 07:46
If space is an issue, there are small crock pots. I have a big 7 quart and a much smaller one, I'd guess 2 quarts. I've fit a wholer rabbit in the small one (quartered) and it held it and cooked it just fine. you only need a big one for big families, and big chunks of meat.

2thinchix
Sat, Apr-27-13, 08:56
and, fortunately, I don't have to fly. I'm driving since I'm only going to be a couple or three hours away from home. I AM trying to picture myself doing dishes in a hotel bathroom sink, though. And I wonder if they have any fire regulations about bringing appliances to plug in?