PDA

View Full Version : Camping food ideas - that time is coming!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Yoga11
Fri, Apr-19-13, 18:34
Hello Low Carb Warriors!
The time is ALMOST here for camping, hiking and back packing...
I'd need ideas!
Lets have this place as a space to share recipe and food ideas

whether it's camping or road tripping I would like to have a plentiful amount of ideas to keep me/you from starving out on the road.

I heard of preping meats and veggies wrapped in foil and frozen over night and then stored in ice chest to take camping.

Macaroon recipes Cook them, then wait till the next day (put in fridge) and they harden
3/4 cup fine ground blanched almond flour (like Honeyville)
1 1/2 cup “Let’s Do Organic" unsweetened shredded coconut*
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon raw honey or vegan alternative
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of unrefined sea salt
take an ice cream scooper and pack in the "dough" tap them out on the cookie sheet.
they seem too loose, BUT THEY AREN"T! after you bake them they are so soft you will think u did it wrong
BUT YOU DIDN"T. wait for 3-4 hours tip firmer put in tupperware and store in fridge they get hard the next day.
I spray the inside with coconut oil spray (they now carry at my TJ's!!!!)
bake at 190 for 50 minutes on parchment paper.

anyone else have any yummy delicious recipes to share?
I heard people taking hard cheese, but that stays good??

yay summer is almost here! <3

Blackstone
Fri, Apr-19-13, 21:52
This sounds really good...but they honey isn't a part of my plan. Too many carbs and sugar. Any suggestion on what the alternative might be? I've been dying for some eggless macs!

Yoga11
Fri, Apr-19-13, 21:58
YES~ instead of honey... I'll use Xylitol...and it comes out the same!

or really any other sugar substitute you want to use :) (doesn't have to be a wet sweetener like honey)

when i used XYlitol to make these.. I thought, "oh my this "dough" isn't wet enough.." But I promise you it's right! pack it in the ice cream scooper tap it out on the parchment. it will feel "too lose" untill is hardens 4 hours AFTER they are done baking... I swear! :)

I'm surprised no one has creative sharings for LC-camping! hello! :)

Blackstone
Fri, Apr-19-13, 22:21
Thanks so much!!! I'm totally going to try these. And very good idea on the camping thread. I'm a total camper and am always looking for good ideas! :) Thanks.

melodyrose
Fri, Apr-19-13, 23:47
Well foil dinners (where you cook the meat and veggies in a foil pouch over the fire), kebabs, alder Plank fish, freeze dried veggies as a crunchy snack, gluten free jerky, natural hot dogs, and eggs cooked in a ziplock bag in a pot of boiling water (you can make "omelets" this way too) are what come to mind!!! :)

Blackstone
Sat, Apr-20-13, 12:45
Lime and cilantro chicken and shrimp skewers. We love these. use either chicken tenders or just cut breasts up into cubes.
Chop up cilantro 1/4 cup, 1/4 cup lime juice, olive oil 1/2 cup, chopped garlic 2 cloves or however much you like. fresh ground pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt. skewer the chicken/shrimp on water soaked skewers (if wood) and then put everything in Tupperware w/marinade. Let them marinade for a few hours. So maybe your first nights meal. Stick on skewers and bbq. These are good with a salsa made of avocado, tomato, onion and a squeeze of lemon.

jbmoore
Sat, Apr-20-13, 13:05
Or these. (I posted these some time back, can't remember where the recipe came from).

:

Turtles (induction)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=8114583&postcount=193

kayin
Sat, Apr-20-13, 15:38
Good idea Yoga11, I plan to camp many times this summer.

Pepperoni, cheese, and avocadoes are my staples so far, but I need more ideas too.

I don't bring a stove OR a cooler so my choices are a bit limited, but still doable.

Robin120
Sat, Apr-20-13, 15:55
car camping or backpacking?

for backpacking:
hard cheese
nuts
almond flour muffins
protein bars (normally i avoid them, but for backpacking they are convenient)
jerky
diet swiss miss if you have something to heat water at night

for car camping, you can do pretty much anything with a cooler.

Elizellen
Sun, Apr-21-13, 04:28
Cheese "crackers" keep well in an airtight container - easy to make.

Pile grated cheese in small heaps or cut little cubes of block cheese or cut a slice of cheese into small squares and space out on a baking sheet or microwave plate (I use a circle of baking parchment to make them easier to get off).
Then bake or microwave, till bubbled and spread out.

Stop cooking before they get too brown and then cool so they harden into a tasty cracker.

You can add spices and/or herbs to these to make flavoured ones.

Yoga11
Sun, Apr-21-13, 09:40
Good idea Yoga11, I plan to camp many times this summer.

Pepperoni, cheese, and avocadoes are my staples so far, but I need more ideas too.

I don't bring a stove OR a cooler so my choices are a bit limited, but still doable.

those things are really ok without cooler?? what kind of cheese>?

Yoga11
Sun, Apr-21-13, 09:42
almond flour muffins

i love my homemade almond flour muffins...however, if mine aren't in an airtight container in the fridge they don't stay good because there is no "perservative" like sugar keeping them good out of the cooler...
`i guess i'll have a cooler so I don't have to worry about that..

kayin
Sun, Apr-21-13, 18:49
those things are really ok without cooler?? what kind of cheese>?
old cheddar, but it does get a bit squishy. Fine to eat though. I've also successfully taken wax wrapped mini cheeses like babybel minis.

Most pepperoni is fine without a cooler for a FEW days (same as cheese, a FEW days) Best to buy the non refrigerated kind though.

Avocado - it comes at the grocery store non cooled and is fine but might get a bit overripe after several days. Might need to cut out a few dark spots after a few days but otherwise okay. Buy one ripe, and a few not ripe yet to ripen on the trip.

Yoga11
Mon, Apr-22-13, 09:04
Anyone have any breakfast recipes for camping...
If there IS a BBQ :)