PDA

View Full Version : Low carb vacation success

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Scroot
Wed, Apr-17-13, 21:49
I just spent a week in NYC and had pretty good success with managing my LC program. I am following a self designed low carb regime to help manage Type 2 Diabetes (I have read ALL the books) and estimate my typical carb count to be 45. On holiday, we stayed in hostel, more for location ad activites than anything else, and took advantage a few meals of the on site kitchen. I did exceed more than 45 carbs most days, but since we were walking anywhere from 4 to 6 miles a day, it all evened out.
The "trick" to this successful vacation was to remain flexible, to be judicious - deviate a little but don't panic eat and stuff in all kinds of crap, regular load), and keep moving - decide to forgo some of the bus and subway rides and walk instead. I went right back to 35-45 carbs upon return home, and the transition back was pretty smooth.

Elizellen
Thu, Apr-18-13, 03:09
Well done!! :thup: It is great to discover we can incorporate eating low carb into real life without it being too onerous!

chuck41
Thu, Apr-18-13, 06:04
LC is really not a "diet" in the strictest sense but a different way of life. It has to be integrated into everyday living to be successful. Glad to see you found a way to make it work on your vacation. That speaks volumes about the prospects of your long term success. :thup:

SabreCat50
Thu, Apr-18-13, 07:29
I am headed for NYC soon for a week's vacation (2 weeks for the entire trip). My worry is not the carbs so much, but the protein. Like you, I expect to do a lot of walking and bike riding (weather permitting :daizy: ).

Congrats on managing you WOE.

Glenn in Omaha

Whofan
Thu, Apr-18-13, 11:15
Congratulations! I work in midtown Manhattan every day so I know it was quite an achievement for you to vacation in NYC and not succumb to the mountains of high carb food everywhere you look. Manhattan has more than 3,500 restaurants and that does not include the sandwich shops, coffee shops, street vendors on every corner, etc., etc. And that's just in one borough. If you include all 5 boroughs of NYC it has been estimated that you could eat in a different restaurant every day for 12 years and still not have tried them all.

On the other hand, there is an abundance of fruit, vegetables, and protein too on every corner, you just have to go for it and ignore the other stuff. As for restaurants, there is cuisine from every nationality and ethnic group under the sun. Low carb is easy to achieve - just tell them to leave the starch off your plate as you would at home.

Walking. Yep, we walk everywhere because it's usually quicker. But for a tourist it is by far the best way to get a feeling for the city. If you go for a long hike in Manhattan (like from the top of the island to the bottom, or as far as you can manage) you won't be bored for a single second. Everything your eye rests on will be interesting. Enjoy your walking! (Wear comfortable old shoes).