PDA

View Full Version : How low carb IS low carb?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

2thinchix
Wed, Apr-17-13, 17:26
I'm on Atkins, so I'm very familiar with what HE says for carbs (20 on induction, moving up by increments of 5 ....) But I know other diets have different philosophies. So I'm wondering - when we say we are all low carb dieters, what do we really mean - what is a range that would still be considered low? And related to that - can anyone tell me how many carbs are in the AVERAGE North American daily diet?

Whofan
Wed, Apr-17-13, 17:57
From reading posts by people on various plans here, it seems the range is from 0 carb to 100g a day. Under 50g appears to be the most common. 100g might seem high to be considered low-carb, but I've read that the average American eats more than 300g of carbs a day. I'm sure I ingested far more than that back in my SAD days. When I think of all that bread and pastry, the french fries, the candy bars.... Shudder. Now I keep it as low as possible, certainly under 50g.

JEY100
Wed, Apr-17-13, 18:23
Prominent nutrition researchers have defined low carb, blog post about that paper: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/what-is-a-low-carb-diet-researchers-have-now-defined-it/6648

Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

WereBear
Thu, Apr-18-13, 04:53
For comparison, I calculated a typical day's carbs, pre-Atkins: 350

This is without desserts, or candy. Moderate portions. So I would say that is the low end.

chuck41
Thu, Apr-18-13, 05:52
For comparison, I calculated a typical day's carbs, pre-Atkins: 350

This is without desserts, or candy. Moderate portions. So I would say that is the low end.
I don't count carbs now, just concentrate on trying to avoid them as much as possible. I would guess my current woe is under 50 and most days in the 20 to 30 range. Before I started LC I would bet it was way above the 350 level. Probably more like 500 most days. Amazing I didn't weigh a lot more than I did! I was a true carb addict.

ojoj
Thu, Apr-18-13, 06:02
I don't count carbs now, just concentrate on trying to avoid them as much as possible. I would guess my current woe is under 50 and most days in the 20 to 30 range. Before I started LC I would bet it was way above the 350 level. Probably more like 500 most days. Amazing I didn't weigh a lot more than I did! I was a true carb addict. I'm the same! I certainly never eat anything that is over 6g carbs per 100g!!

Jo xxx

rwwff
Thu, Apr-18-13, 08:01
I'd go with the below 20% of total calorie intake definition. At that point, you are clearly doing something very intentional to reduce the ratio of carb to fat.

For myself, below 20% is sufficient to get reasonably normal looking bG curves after meals. When I go higher, I get that sustained elevated pattern that is typical of insulin resistance... Below 10% I don't do so well, I get really irritated, even if it might be technically healthier.

RobLL
Thu, Apr-18-13, 09:16
Looks like a concensus is emerging. I am generally less than 50 a day, often much less. If I go much over 50 fasting BGs become a problem. More insulin does not help, just tends to cause lows in the middle of the night.

ShelyBelly
Thu, Apr-18-13, 10:11
On the "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Taubes, he said to basicially stay on about 20 carbs per day- kinda strict but works for me to aim for. Some days I eat more, some less, but staying really low helps me stay honest...stay overall low...

rivesjct
Thu, Apr-18-13, 10:13
Looks like a concensus is emerging. I am generally less than 50 a day, often much less. If I go much over 50 fasting BGs become a problem. More insulin does not help, just tends to cause lows in the middle of the night.

I don't post much, but have to agree with this poster. Under 40g of carb for me has my fasting blood glucose in the a.m. and throughout the day in the non-diabetic range. I have been able to lose 20 lbs (in 10 weeks) and reduce my insulin from 120 u per day to 34 (I am insulin resistant). I have also been able to discontinue my lisinopril (20mg per day) as my blood pressure has dropped to about 112/59. Low carb is the only way I have been able to manage this. Over 50 grams of carb knocks me out of ketosis. Going to the doctor tomorrow for blood testing, anxious to see how my cholesterol is doing after 10 weeks on this woe.

Judynyc
Thu, Apr-18-13, 10:49
I think that its important to point out here that people with healthy body/metabolism do not need to stay on the very low end of low carb...for weight loss or maintenance. :idea:
Meaning, if you're not diabetic or don't have thyroid issues or other hormone related issues....then you'll find you can eat a bit on the higher end of the low carb spectrum.
I know that this was and still is true for me.
I average between 50-60 to 100-120 grams a day. I am not diabetic nor do I have thyroid issues. I'm menopausal and have been since 2004 when I started out. :)

Know your body...know what your issues are.

Ann_LC
Thu, Apr-18-13, 11:11
I think Judynyc is right. I do low carb - but for me, low carb is 50 - 100. sometimes probably a little more and sometimes a little less. I too don't have any thyroid or diabetic issues. I am in peri-menopause though

chuck41
Thu, Apr-18-13, 13:39
I am not diabetic and have no thyroid issues. I have to stay close to the 20 to 30 carb range to keep the weight on a downward path. Hope I will be able to increase a bit when I reach maintenance, but that is months away. Until then I am content in remaining in that range. I suspect the quantity of protein I eat causes my stalls. No matter. I am not changing anything as long as my weight continues on a downward trend.

RobLL
Fri, Apr-19-13, 10:31
And there are some people, even diabetic, most often women who have problems if they go much below 120 grams of carbs a day. When metabolism goes bonkers issues vary for all of us.

Judynyc
Fri, Apr-19-13, 11:03
And there are some people, even diabetic, most often women who have problems if they go much below 120 grams of carbs a day. When metabolism goes bonkers issues vary for all of us.
Exactly, Rob and thanks for adding that. :thup:

I've seen way to often, mostly women who get stalled out doing VCL or M&E. Adrenal fatigue happens to many who stay too low for too long. :idea:

Firefly428
Fri, Apr-19-13, 15:28
I always see 'under 100' per day is considered a lower carb diet.
it works for many to drop some weight

me, I need very low carb to drop weight and keep calories on the lower side also.

but it can vary for so many with so many different situations per person.

finding your net carb limit to lose well and to maintain etc. has to be worked out for yourself. no 2 will be alike most times

Cosmostar
Sun, Jul-28-13, 14:28
I think that its important to point out here that people with healthy body/metabolism do not need to stay on the very low end of low carb...for weight loss or maintenance. :idea:
Meaning, if you're not diabetic or don't have thyroid issues or other hormone related issues....then you'll find you can eat a bit on the higher end of the low carb spectrum.
I know that this was and still is true for me.
I average between 50-60 to 100-120 grams a day. I am not diabetic nor do I have thyroid issues. I'm menopausal and have been since 2004 when I started out. :)

Know your body...know what your issues are.

I love your thinking! Well done with what you have achieved, it's fantastic and inspiring. What you have said here resonates within me 100%. I do not have any health issues and I understand that low carbing helps me to be more aware of the types of food I have been eating that are not good for my body, meaning I would probably end up with diabetes if I carried on eating the types of food I was. When I was pregnant the Dr's thought I had it then, but it passed. I know that I can't eat so much processed sugary foods as these were the foods that made me gain weight when I hit high school. I won't go on, I just had an epiphany as I read this post.

mike_d
Sun, Jul-28-13, 17:40
I think it depends greatly where the 'carbs' come from. Even moderate amounts of grains or beans I can't do for very long without getting GI distress, heartburn and backache. Also I think the ratio of fat to carbs is important. To a point some types of carbs impact can be essentially drowned out when taken with enough fat or fiber -- processed bacon or sweet potato for example. Like calories in calories out, it's not all that simple.

Judynyc
Sun, Jul-28-13, 18:19
I love your thinking! Well done with what you have achieved, it's fantastic and inspiring. What you have said here resonates within me 100%. I do not have any health issues and I understand that low carbing helps me to be more aware of the types of food I have been eating that are not good for my body, meaning I would probably end up with diabetes if I carried on eating the types of food I was. When I was pregnant the Dr's thought I had it then, but it passed. I know that I can't eat so much processed sugary foods as these were the foods that made me gain weight when I hit high school. I won't go on, I just had an epiphany as I read this post.
I'm glad that my words had meaning for you! :wave:

Katfishy
Sun, Jul-28-13, 19:21
I agree with the general consensus of somewhere about 100 g/day, but I think it's more of a personal issue than a strict number. If someone makes a conscious effort to reduce carbs in their diet and notices improvement in appetite/weight/general well-being but they're eating 150 g/day, I'd still consider them low carb!

fitfuture
Sun, Jul-28-13, 20:55
I try to keep carbs under 40g. 50g at the max. On labels I'll make sure carbs are under 10g per 100g and sugar is under 5g per 100g. If it's any higher I won't eat it.

Cocoatime
Sun, Jul-28-13, 23:51
I vote for 150 g or less. I'm basing this on Mark Sisson's maintenance range, which is 100-150 g carbs/day. Also, it's still less than SAD, obviously.

I agree with what other people have said about ratios. For some, it doesn't matter the precise grams of carbs, but instead on the ratios of carbs/fat/protein and maybe also physical activity.

I'll give you an example: Last week I had a day where the total carb count was 103 g (19 g fiber), which comprised 22% of total calorie count. For fun, I tried a ketosis stick, and despite drinking copious amounts of water the stick turned DARK purple. It was a training day, so of course I was burning through carbs AND fat.

A more general definition of low carb could be, a diet that is low carb enough to cause fat burning or ketosis.

WereBear
Mon, Jul-29-13, 05:32
To a point some types of carbs impact can be essentially drowned out when taken with enough fat or fiber -- processed bacon or sweet potato for example. Like calories in calories out, it's not all that simple.

That has also been my experience. When I eat fruit as my "dessert" after a hearty meal, I'm fine; no blood sugar swings or hunger afterward.

If I eat fruit as a snack, it just makes me hungrier and can set off a rotten cycle where I have to eat another whole meal to shut my stomach up.

Same carb count, but a totally different effect.

Elfie
Mon, Jul-29-13, 07:46
As you can see from the comments here, 'low carb' varies all over the map. The ADA considers 140gm a day to be low carb but considering the average person eats over 300, they're technically right.

Some people think anything below 100 or below 50. Personally, while I can't eat over 25gm per day without it effecting my blood glucose, I think low carb is under 50...but it's a question without a definitive answer. :)