PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss Apps and Android

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TigerLily1
Wed, Apr-17-13, 15:40
Does anyone use any iphone Apps or htc Androids to track their diet/food.
Someone told me about this App (The Eatery) where all you had to do is take a snap picture of everything you eat and drink, and it keeps a kind of food dairy for you. You know how it is sometimes one eats or drinks something then completely forgets.

Well its like a picture food log, its supposed to also stop you from eating bad stuff as you'd have a photographic evidence ... I haven't used this app yet, but wonder if I should

I find the issue with food logs online that by the time you do it by end of day or next day, one can forget some items.

Please share if you use other apps/androids

JEY100
Wed, Apr-17-13, 16:31
I use the Calorie Counter by MyFitnessPal, currently the #1 Top Free App in the iTunes store. It syncs well with account on my computer, but the app is very easy to use on its own when away from home. Recent or frequent foods held in memory, saved meals, huge databse with so many users, can scan barcodes though not take food photos. Also can use with FitBit type apps and customize your nutrient % goals to low carb.

A_New_Life
Tue, Apr-23-13, 20:21
fitday.com and Lose it...they are both free

WereBear
Wed, Apr-24-13, 04:36
I think that could be a useful tool for when we are rushed; then we have a reminder to sit down and log all our food.

I use CarbsControl for my iTouch.

chuck41
Fri, Apr-26-13, 08:19
I use weight record to track progress, but don't record meals/count calories or carbs. Weight Record is a good app and is free'

JEY100
Mon, Apr-29-13, 05:53
Not for weight loss tracking, but another useful free app has just been released in Android version. LC Dining with nutrition info and user comments about the food.
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/04/28/low-carb-android-app/

coachjeff
Mon, Apr-29-13, 06:36
I've tried all the various calorie trackers I believe. My two favorites are CronoMeter and MyFitnessPal.

Cronometer gives MUCH more complete nutritional info in regards to vitamins,, minerals, and even omega 6 to 3 numbers. So you can see if your diet is coming up deficient in any nutrients. But the program "assumes" you are eating basically nothing but REAL FOOD, so if you eat some restaurant food it "does not compute" unless you manually enter the info.

MyFitnessPal is I think a more realistic option for most folks. It does not give you much in the way of nutrional info, but it is very easy to work with. I don't think I've ever "stumped" it...even pretty esoteric foods are in it's database, which saves you loads of hassle having to manually enter calorie and nutrition info.

Of course ALL these type of programs are based upon the assumption that we ALL should be obedient little followers of government eating recommendations, so by default puts you on a high carb diet low in arterycloggingsaturatedfat.

But you can override the default settings, and tweak your macros to whatever you require for YOUR body.

55Kevy
Mon, Apr-29-13, 14:46
I second (third, fourth?) MyFitnessPal. Pretty comprehensive database and easy to use.

Deciduous
Mon, Apr-29-13, 14:58
I have an iphone and currently use:
-fatwatch (tracks weight trends, take notes on what I ate, and lets me check off and record % of days I workout/have good skin/whatever)
-sparkpeople (I don't track calories anymore, but this lets me check carb content on "unknown" items I encounter in the world, or make sure that fat grams = the amount I want in a salad dressing, etc.)
-chains.cc (not technically food related, but I track how many days I "eat cleanly/on plan" or whatever other goals I have (drink water before eating, etc.)
-remember the milk (for grocery lists)
-seconds (workout app - for TABATA intervals, great for traveling!)

Chubz
Tue, Apr-30-13, 19:47
MyFitnessPal

DiscDiva
Tue, Apr-30-13, 19:58
Fatsecret.