PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No to Soy!?!?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Blackstone
Tue, Apr-16-13, 18:06
I'm researching soy and finding that a lot of sources recommend staying away from it. That is bad for you...promoting certain types of cancer etc etc. Except for fermented soy. I am trying to stay away from dairy so there are a lot of soy subs that are working well for me IE vegan mayo and cream cheese. Does anyone have any thoughts on soy?

Deciduous
Tue, Apr-16-13, 20:09
I eat soy sparingly, the worry is that the plant estrogens are able to act on our estrogen receptors, which could lead to higher risk of certain cancers (breast) in women, but there are health risks associated with most everything (mercury in fish) and benefits. I don't base my meals around soy, but do enjoy tofu, miso paste, edamame, tamari, and black soy beans... That said, why avoiding mayo? If you google paleo mayo 2.0 it is super easy to make your own, and I believe most brands are dairy free?

Blackstone
Tue, Apr-16-13, 20:43
That's a good way to look at it. Moderation might be the key. :) Oh, I'm off eggs because I have some issues with them so just dropping them from my diet for a while.

JEY100
Wed, Apr-17-13, 06:19
NO.

Without reading an entire book about soy, listen to this podcast instead: http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/2012/08/22-the-truth-about-soy-dr-kaayla-daniel/. She does discuss the least harmful forms and when small amounts may be OK.

As a breast cancer survivor, I was advised to avoid any and all forms of soy. It drives me crazy to read popular health articles that suggest soy may be protective. That just makes no sense, no matter how many convoluted justifications for that contradiction I have read over the years. The problems with soy in the US are compounded by it being a GMO crop that absorbs herbicides and the toxic chemicals used to process it.

The good news it is easy to avoid once you stop using processed foods, and for the most part, avoid cheap restaurants that use cheap oils for frying.
Make your own mayo, here's a super easy recipe with a food processor. I make a half recipe using light tasting olive oil and lemon juice, many other tips in the comment section:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/

I've never tried it without the egg, but there are many vegan egg substitutes.

WereBear
Wed, Apr-17-13, 06:20
As the saying goes, "the dose makes the poison."

Robin120
Wed, Apr-17-13, 11:00
I am another one for moderation, BUT i also look at type!

so i think things like edamame or tempeh or tofu are fine, but avoid boca burgers, soycheese, etc........

i love shirataki noodles once every week or 2. :)

JoreyTK
Wed, Apr-17-13, 11:21
I mostly stay away from it but if i'm in a pinch and I get a salad that has soy oil in it I go ahead. Plus I use maybe 1-2 teaspoons of soy sauce a month.

I'm sure high quantities of soy aren't good but small doses probably aren't too bad.

Blackstone
Wed, Apr-17-13, 12:04
Thanks all. I am thinking I'll just use up the stuff I have and then try to stay away from it as a rule...but not worry about the once in a while. :)

Deciduous
Wed, Apr-17-13, 12:14
Thanks all. I am thinking I'll just use up the stuff I have and then try to stay away from it as a rule...but not worry about the once in a while. :)

I think that sounds totally reasonable :thup:

JordanS
Wed, Apr-17-13, 12:28
Its useless at best. No reason to specifically eat soy.

Sugar snap peas instead of edemame

Whey instead of soy powder

Real meat instead of "tofu"

Any other nut, instead of soy "nuts"

I mean, what would you really miss about it?

TigerLily1
Wed, Apr-17-13, 15:16
I take soya milk in my decaf coffee, I tried all other milks and hated them, I used to take cream before, but in the last 2-3 years I started to have dairy sensitivity issues, so soya is the only thing I can take with my decaf.

Neanderpam
Wed, Apr-17-13, 16:07
Google/look up 'effects of soy on thyroid function'. That's quite a deterrant.

puppetlady
Thu, Apr-18-13, 07:05
For me it's an absolute NO

I have had chronic pain for 27 years and I have figured out that at least part of the problem is the soy oil in Mayonnaise.

I was eating a lettuce leaf with grilled home raised chicken and added some mayo. Within a few minutes I had pain in my feet and the weakness in my legs and pain in my lower back that lasted for hours. Once it wore off I didn't have it for days until I ate a grilled chicken salad out at a restaurant yesterday and the same thing happened

I am guessing it is the soy oil for sure so I am going to say no to it and start making my own mayo and dressings.

Merpig
Tue, Apr-23-13, 17:10
I am going to say no to it and start making my own mayo and dressings. Yeah, I gave up commercial mayo years ago because of the soybean oil. It was a huge struggle since I was a mayo-aholic and loved it with just about everything. and I found that *making* my own mayo was so finicky and messy that I hated doing it, so I sort of went cold turkey, but never got over my mayo longing. Then I discovered making mayo with a stick blender! Fast, easy, and perfect mayo every single time! I make my own all the time now and am so happy mayo is back in my life, but with *decent* ingredients. Or fairly decent at least. I make mine with light olive oil. Ive tried extra virgin oil but just cant handle the taste. I've tried half-and-half with olive oil and coconut oil and can't handle the texture.

dlynnRN
Tue, Apr-23-13, 18:13
I am just going to give my opinion... and that is NO! I stay away from soy. I run fast from it. Soy has caused me health issues.

kathi b
Wed, May-08-13, 13:24
I'm allergic. Soy makes me barf & gag. But you'd know already if it gave you that reaction.

Namaste!
Wed, May-08-13, 15:59
Soy is a big fat negative for me. I have PCOS so I avoid soy products as much as possible. I have read a lot of info about the bad effects it can have on our bodies though so I wouldn't eat it even if I didn't have the PCOS to contend with.