PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb AND No Gluten!?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

barrycudda
Fri, Apr-05-13, 14:28
:q:
I have had limited sucess with low carb in the past, as well as gluten free. I have never actually combined them.
I just finished reading 'Wheat Belly', and I think I am gluten sensitive in addition to being carbohydrate sensitive.
Now that there is gluten free bread available here -I HAVE to have a sandwhich or wrap because I eat while I drive 10 or more hours a day- I will try combining the two approaches for the first time.
My goal is to shrink my belly by an inch or two. Its not that its fat-it is just distended like a pregnant lady.
Hopefully this works.
Has this worked for anyone else?
Thanks for all the support. Hope you had a happy Easter-Spring is coming :D

JoreyTK
Fri, Apr-05-13, 15:03
I would hazard to guess the majority of current posters here are probably gluten free.

Have you considered just bringing some sort of sausage and/or dried meat, some sliced vegetables, nuts, seeds, cheese, etc as a lunch?

Also, for the Wheat Belly plan Dr Davis strongly suggests eating whole single ingredient foods, not replacing bad foods(wheat) with less bad(rice flour, etc).

Nancy LC
Fri, Apr-05-13, 15:16
How about wrapping meat and cheese in a sturdy lettuce leaf?

M Levac
Fri, Apr-05-13, 19:49
Suggestions for road snacks. Fried bacon. It's just awesome. You eat them like chips but it's a bit greasy so have a towel or something handy. Pork rinds are good too. Eat like chips. Cut up sausages, fry them up, put them in a tupperware, eat them like chips too. No mistake, those are actual honest real foods. They will feed you even if they sound like snacks. Low-carb means more fat, and more fat means you're full faster, so portions are smaller, so if you want to stop to eat more "complete" meals instead of those snacks above, you can do it faster than with other foods, less time spent eating, more time spent driving.

pinkclouds
Fri, Apr-05-13, 21:18
Actually, if you stay away from most frankenfoods (things that are marketed as "low carb" or "gluten-free" versions of foods that are typically high in carbs or gluten) then it's pretty easy to be gluten free. Just eat fresh whole natural foods. Most meats, veggies, fruits, dairy and fats like butter and oils are naturally gluten free.

Gypsybyrd
Fri, Apr-05-13, 21:29
I managed low carb and gluten free while driving a truck around the US. It worked out pretty well. I would buy a rotisserie chicken or tuna and mix it with mayo. I kept in the fridge in the truck and ate it as I drove.

WereBear
Sat, Apr-06-13, 07:15
Gluten free means 100%. I ate very little gluten for six years; but I didn't get the beneficial effects (losing my arthritis pain, lost inches from my waist, "healing feelings" for months from my entire digestive system) until I ditched it entirely.

And while I do have the occasional gluten free cookie when I'm going out with friends who I know will eat cake, I don't make a habit of it, because it's not low carb. So you would be missing those health benefits if you substitute so much.