PDA

View Full Version : Red Palm Oil - any experience????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tlawson
Sat, Mar-30-13, 21:10
My husband was doing some research and used the top of red palm oil. This is a traditional oil for him to use - he's from Africa. I was helping him and saw this on Dr. Oz and found out about the health benefits (lowering cholesterol, removing plaque from arteries, etc.). Apparently taking 2 tablespoons a day can lower your cholesterol up to 40%.

Has anyone tried this??

ScotiaGirl
Sun, Jul-28-13, 20:00
Hi, I see you posted this in March, I just bought a jar made by Nutiva, and plan on trying it tomorrow to fry up some chicken breasts. Did you ever end up trying it yourself?

tlawson
Sun, Jul-28-13, 20:44
We do use it - my husband has always used it in his traditional soups and stews. I will add a tablespoon to soup or something. I like it ;-)

ScotiaGirl
Mon, Jul-29-13, 04:22
Thanks Theresa, the brand I bought is Nutiva, they produce a coconut oil I use. They have just started producing this product this year, it is red in colour but does not have the strong taste and smell that other brands I have heard of have.

It says it is to be used on medium heat, do you think I could fry chicken in it, are you able to use it like butter, both to fry in and as an add on after cooking? I really had no idea it existed, I was looking at other products in the organic, virgin, ethically farmed section of the store and I decided to purchase it because of the brand name.

LosingMe16
Mon, Jul-29-13, 05:21
My husband was doing some research and used the top of red palm oil. This is a traditional oil for him to use - he's from Africa. I was helping him and saw this on Dr. Oz and found out about the health benefits (lowering cholesterol, removing plaque from arteries, etc.). Apparently taking 2 tablespoons a day can lower your cholesterol up to 40%.

Has anyone tried this??

Well, if someone is doing LC they probably don't need much of this :lol: Just think, with all of the oils and fats we consume, pretty much all of them are good for cholesterol levels, even animal fats. I'd just keep LC'ing and be happy (and save my money -- I know that red palm oil is expensive!). :)

ScotiaGirl
Mon, Jul-29-13, 05:32
Thanks LosingMe, I am trying to find new things, I am moving away from the bacon and dairy, which for me were my high fat favourites, so I don't mind paying a bit more for other things that are "fat". I think there are many things that are interesting in the market place today that other areas of the world use that are not high carb and part of their traditional eating, things like Coconut Oil which has flooded the market here. Even Costco sells Nutiva CO.

Here in Nova Scotia there is a real surge of foods available that are traditional in other countries, we have many universities and therefore a large population of people from other countries attend them. The market place is providing them with their traditional groceries, so I am amazed what is available, the red palm oil was about the same price as a a similar size bottle of a organic nut butter, so cost wasn't outrageous, Raw, Organic Macadamia nuts are another story, they should come in a pkg with a gold lining.LOL

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-29-13, 08:55
I tried RPO once and didn't care for the taste. Sounds like it is quite good for you however.

ScotiaGirl
Mon, Jul-29-13, 09:03
I heard that RPO tasted and smelled strong, in this one the taste is more buttery. Nutiva is a good name so I am going to assume it still has the same properties as the one that tastes and smells stronger, maybe it is like CO where you can get some that tastes like coconut and others don't. Honestly, I don't know.

LosingMe16
Mon, Jul-29-13, 13:56
Raw, Organic Macadamia nuts are another story, they should come in a pkg with a gold lining.LOL

I'm lucky we (still) sell them at work; we sell them in bulk and get 20% off all store purchases as employees. :)