PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chubz
Mon, Mar-25-13, 12:42
So will very low carb be ok for very intense exercise for an hour and 45 minutes 3 days a week? 45 min lifting weights and then I am joining a Boot Camp where they do a full hour of fat blasting exercises, well 5 min warm-up, then endurance and cardio, then some strength, then stretching and whatever else for a total of an hour. It's really going to kick my butt! Would lifting weights for tone and mass be ok to do the same day as the Boot Camp do you think? I really hate to go out almost every day of the week and it seems like a days rest would be good, just hard workout days though! Mon-Wed-Fri 9am-9:45am and 6pm - 7pm

Ilikemice
Mon, Mar-25-13, 14:06
It probably depends on how long you've been LC'ing and if you are fat-adapted. If you're fat-adapted you can probably power through. Is the boot camp strength part like high-intensity bodyweight stuff? Those exercises really are intense and I wouldn't bother with the additional weight training.

Chubz
Mon, Mar-25-13, 15:15
I'm not really sure what it is yet. I know I have to bring two dumbbells, one light, one heavier. So I was thinking my muscles would be spent using them but not as good as at the gym doing heavy sets.

Ilikemice
Mon, Mar-25-13, 18:33
Hmm. After a week or so you could gauge how taxing the class will be, plus you could always do heavy sets if you don't feel "worked out" enough -- even with my tough program that happens!

Navyguy
Tue, Mar-26-13, 08:14
I would think you should space out those workouts alittle. I do spin class twice a week, aerobics once a week along with some running and other exercise(about 5 90 minute workouts a week. I feel as if I can go all out during the classes if i have a day off prior. When i don't take a day off I feel like I'm not giving it my full effort. That is how it is for my physically. As for diet, i have been at about 20 carbs a day since Feb 1st and this does not affect my workouts at all. I believe in the beginning it did slightly.

Chubz
Tue, Mar-26-13, 08:37
I would think you should space out those workouts alittle. I do spin class twice a week, aerobics once a week along with some running and other exercise(about 5 90 minute workouts a week. I feel as if I can go all out during the classes if i have a day off prior. When i don't take a day off I feel like I'm not giving it my full effort. That is how it is for my physically. As for diet, i have been at about 20 carbs a day since Feb 1st and this does not affect my workouts at all. I believe in the beginning it did slightly.

Hi,
Thanks for your input. How do you suggest I space them? The classes are Mon-Wed-Fri 6pm-7pm the rest of the time I can work in gym time.

Navyguy
Tue, Mar-26-13, 09:33
I am by no means an expert. Boot Camp Class is pretty intense and fun. Each instructor is slightly different. I've read alot about performance increasing in a class setting. The workout is about form and repetition. Even using the lightest weight I felt it the next day. I've felt intimidated a few times in these group setting but I've learned not to let it affect me. I do what i can and work as hard as I can. If the instructor says 10 squats and I'm breathing like a maniac i do 8 and move to the next exercise.(This morning I did this). My alltime favorite trick is pretending to get water,HA HA.

One thing I've done when i do aerobics and/or spin class is add walking or light cycling to the end of a workout. If my Spin class is 55 minutes when it's over I get on the treadmill and walk another 25 minutes afterwards. I do it as a gradual cooldown and it helped my recovery the next day. You can add a weight training workout to the front end too.

As for your question, It looks like you have M/W/F covered. I'd pick saturday or sunday and do a physical activity you enjoy. Weight Training on the weekend would be a good fit. I like weight training but you have to be careful with intensity. When i train with heavy weights I tend to take about 2 minutes between sets because I feel I need to recover. This makes my intensity to low. Now I use moderate weights and set up my next exercise during the last set of my previous exercise and take no more then 1 min between sets.

From your profile, i see that you've been LC for awhile so that shouldn't affect your performance. That being said I always get hungry after a workout so I space my meals so they are after exercise. And I make sure my meals don't waste my workout. I never eat carbs after a workout. I drink alot of water too.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Chubz
Tue, Mar-26-13, 12:26
Was helpful, thank you. I'm thinking maybe I don't need the gym anymore?