PDA

View Full Version : nausea remedy?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CindyMarie
Sat, Mar-23-13, 15:49
im feeling very nauseated from the high fat and salt ive increased and drinking enough water. im also in ketosis, but im exhausted and feel like total crap. its been 2 weeks now...

what do you do to remedy nausea?

aj_cohn
Sat, Mar-23-13, 19:19
There are a few possibilities that come to mind. It's not unusual during the first 2–3 weeks of the Atkins plan to get the "Atkins flu" — the withdrawal symptoms from a high-carb diet. You're depriving your body of it's traditional fuel, and your body hasn't yet making large amounts of the enzymes needed to metabolize fat.

Also, you need more of *all* the electrolyte minerals now, — sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium — not just sodium (from salt). In the absence of large amounts of insulin (from a high-carb diet), the kidneys flush out a large amount of water, and with that, these minerals. Cheese and yogurt can supply you with calcium, low-sodium V-8 can give you potassium, and spinach + supplements (chelated, please) can give you magnesium.

If adding those minerals doesn't work, you can alter your carb-fat balance to ease your transition to your new fuel source. Trade 1 oz. of fat for 1/4 of a baked sweet potato per day for 1 week. Then go back to the strict Atkins plan.

For more troubleshooting ideas, visit the newbies sub-forum of this site.

If by the end of 4 weeks, you don't feel better after doing the things above, it might be time to consider another food plan a slightly higher-carb food plan, e.g., paleo or the Perfect Health Diet. Everybody's different, and troubleshooting your diet takes time and patience. Hang in there.

WereBear
Sun, Mar-24-13, 01:16
Dill or ginger do wonders.

ojoj
Sun, Mar-24-13, 02:20
im feeling very nauseated from the high fat and salt ive increased and drinking enough water. im also in ketosis, but im exhausted and feel like total crap. its been 2 weeks now...

what do you do to remedy nausea?

I felt like that you a couple of days when I first started, but then I suddenly woke up one morning and felt great - better than I had done for years. Any nausea, was welcomed by me as it stopped me wanting to eat - in fact it wasnt so much nausea as lack of appetitie

I never consider the "high fat" side of the diet - I do eat fat, but then I ate fat when I wasnt low carbing. Not eating it and all this "fat is bad" nonsense never seemed right to me, afterall its natural.

Maybe stop thinking about it, maybe stop adding so much extra?? Just eat natural unprocessed and low carb foods? Remember that once you're in ketosis, the fat you eat will be used as your energy provider.

Jo xxx

Kirsteen
Sun, Mar-24-13, 07:13
I agree that you should cut down the fat. The induction lists are full of lower fat options, such as seafood and organ meats, lean cuts of meat, etc. and loads of veggies, so incorporate more of these into your diet. Try cutting out things like cream and nuts. Although some people state uncategorically that the Atkins diet is a high fat diet, low-carb diet, in truth, it is an insulin balancing diet, with potential to be tailored to fit the individual needs of the dieter. It could easily become a moderate carb, relatively low-fat diet, depending on the choices someone makes from the food lists.

Make sure that you are eating enough vegetables. Spinach would be a good choice, because it contains magnesium and potassium, which can become depleted due to water loss when you start the diet.
You can increase the amount of veggies if you're feeling that bad, as AJCohn has suggested, although I personally would select extra induction veggies rather than potatoes, as the extra fiber should help to bind the fat you're eating, plus the induction veggies are more nutrient dense.

People suggest bone broth for replacing minerals.. A magnesium/potassium supplement might be good. I use a high quality Himalayan salt which contains many minerals.

Good luck

aj_cohn
Sun, Mar-24-13, 16:02
I wasn't explicit, but I thought the OP should take a total of 3 weeks to tweak other parts of her diet before trying sweet potatoes. I didn't recommend bone broth, because it can be very difficult to get both gelatinous and marrow bones in many locales.

CindyMarie
Sun, Mar-24-13, 21:31
i heard of the Powerade Zero and tried that and seemed to help but i dont like the Red #40 and other chemicals so i found my electrolyte packets to add to my water.

i definitely agree the nausea is welcomed as its a transition from glucose to ketones as fuel... the fatigue part just aint that fun :P

but im definitely getting plenty of vegetables and leafy greens at least once a day so no issue there.

i'll be looking forward to the V8 when i can have that as i am still going to be very strict because ive had serious problems controlling my addiction to the chemical laden foods and sugar and carbs.

this time im seriously wanting to FREE myself of this more than just the weightloss itself. it is the OWL im really looking at so im not adding any potatoes in the near future.

the nausea seems to have passed... thanks again for all your support and help :wave: really appreciate this forum.. i was in here a few years ago and glad to be back and this time for good. im so sick of the yo-yo carbing!

Kirsteen
Mon, Mar-25-13, 05:39
I wasn't explicit, but I thought the OP should take a total of 3 weeks to tweak other parts of her diet before trying sweet potatoes. I didn't recommend bone broth, because it can be very difficult to get both gelatinous and marrow bones in many locales.

Yes, that explains it very well.

I usually make broth from chicken bones, because we often have a roast chicken. When I am sick, I drink it plain with a little curry powder added to it. When I feel better, I love to have different soups made from it, or to have it added to curries.

I recently discovered that I can buy ready-made broth from my local supermarket. I haven't bought any yet, but I might get some for the freezer. It's great to have stuff like that handy for soups and stews.

Kirsteen
Mon, Mar-25-13, 05:46
i heard of the Powerade Zero and tried that and seemed to help but i dont like the Red #40 and other chemicals so i found my electrolyte packets to add to my water.

i definitely agree the nausea is welcomed as its a transition from glucose to ketones as fuel... the fatigue part just aint that fun :P

but im definitely getting plenty of vegetables and leafy greens at least once a day so no issue there.

i'll be looking forward to the V8 when i can have that as i am still going to be very strict because ive had serious problems controlling my addiction to the chemical laden foods and sugar and carbs.

this time im seriously wanting to FREE myself of this more than just the weightloss itself. it is the OWL im really looking at so im not adding any potatoes in the near future.

the nausea seems to have passed... thanks again for all your support and help :wave: really appreciate this forum.. i was in here a few years ago and glad to be back and this time for good. im so sick of the yo-yo carbing!

I'm glad you're feeling better. There are plenty of regular posters on this forum who struggle with carb-addiction , so hopefully you'll find good support here.

Sarah1080
Fri, Mar-29-13, 11:54
Not sure if this applies to you, but I know I have a hard time with vitamins/supplements on any empty or even not totally full stomach. If you are taking these, maybe try switching around when you take them or spreading them out. With me it can even get so that if I take them too late at night I wake up in hte morning not feeling great about the way my coffee (which I love) hits my stomach.