PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb and Xanthomas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

grandmatob
Mon, Mar-18-13, 20:59
Hi. Over the last few years I have tried low carb diets. The weight started to come off just fine, however, each time I did the diet I would get an xanthomas around my eyes. I did it three times and now have 3 xanthomas. I think they are caused by the higher fat consumed on a low carb diet. Has anyone else experienced this? (Xanthomas are yellowy fat deposits under eyes or on eyelids). My weight is the highest I've ever had it and I want to return to eating low carb...this time also trying low fat with it. Will this work?
Thanks for any help.

cnmLisa
Mon, Mar-18-13, 23:01
What I know of xanthomas is that they are usually an indication of hyperlipidemia in older adults. Depending on how long you have been LCing and if you are in major fat burning mode, it could be that as you mobilize your fat stores, you may see an increase in your lipids thus causing you to be more npredisposed for xanthomas. Have you had your lipids evaluated recently?
Just something to think about.
Progress not perfection.
Lisa

grandmatob
Tue, Mar-19-13, 08:47
I have an appointment this week to get checked out.

Nancy LC
Tue, Mar-19-13, 10:35
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthoma

Interesting. I'd never heard of this before.

You can certainly do something like a lower fat, low carb diet. I'd concentrate on low carb veggies and chicken and fish and so on. I wouldn't try to go too low with the fat because it does help keep you full. Maybe cut back on dairy.

grandmatob
Wed, Mar-20-13, 08:16
The last three times I did not worry about fat. The swarzbein Principle diet said to eat lots of healthy fats. Now I am doing egg whites and lean meats and skimpy on oils for salads. I find that at lunch and supper I am not hungry. last night I ate a small amount of the allowed veggies and a small piece of steak and had a hard time finishing it. The proteins must curb the appetite.