PDA

View Full Version : Not enough food??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

menew
Thu, Feb-28-13, 15:34
Today I was at the lunch buffet behind a woman who was probably 5'6" and 250-260 lbs. I watched her fill her tray with a very small piece of tilapia and two brocolli spears (not the whole head mind you - just two little spears). Then she squirted some olive oil on top of it all and paid for her lunch. Clearly she was low carbing and trying to up the fat content with the olive oil. But I couldnt' help but think that for a woman of her size that was simply not enough food - even though she is clearly trying to lose weight. Isn't it true that too drastic a cut of food can cause your body to hold onto pounds? That certainly would not have been enough food for me. Now of course I know I have no idea what she ate this morning or what she plans to eat tonight. But I felt really bad for her. I wanted to tell her that I understand her journey and support her methods but beg her not to starve herself. Am I all wrong here?

CallmeAnn
Thu, Feb-28-13, 15:52
Was it the kind of cafeteria where it's all you can eat? Could money have been the issue? Maybe she doesn't actually like broccoli so she could only stomach a little bit. I'm assuming there was more to choose from since you found enough to eat, but maybe she is beginning and doesn't know what is okay. Maybe she had a huge brekky and wasn't hungry?

lterry913
Thu, Feb-28-13, 15:57
Just keep it to yourself...it's like asking someone when they are due when they are not pregnant...it will just cause hard feelings. If she wants help she will get it or see your progress and ask.
I'm sure there are times when someone who is low fat/high fiber thinks I am overweight and sees me putting full fat dressing and or oil on my salad with meat, eggs, and bacon would like to say if I were you I'd skip that and eat some fat free dressing and more veggies. I would hope they would keep that to themselves...because I wouldn't want to hear it.

ojoj
Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:00
I sometimes have tiny amounts of food, in fact yesterday I hardly ate a thing - I went out to lunch with friends and didnt have anything at all. I made up for it today tho lol. I find that being in ketosis often makes me not want very much. You cant really judge what others do

Jo xxx

menew
Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:13
It was definitely not all you can eat. You are charged by weight. Of course it is possible that her decisions were financially based but it didn't seem that way to me. It seemed very deliberate. Of course you are right. There could be any number of reasons for what she did and I really don't have any idea what they might be. Just being a busy body I guess. :)

menew
Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:15
Just keep it to yourself... I would hope they would keep that to themselves...because I wouldn't want to hear it.

Of course I didn't say anything to her!

CallmeAnn
Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:16
If you think you might see her again, in the future, you might make a friendly remark in hopes of having a brief conversation. Then, you might find out what is really her reasoning. She might just really like olive oil and not be dieting at all. Even though I don't really think it would be smart to make a remark based on an assumption that she's lc, I would love for someone to dare remark to me that I need less fat and more veggies. I wouldn't be rude to them but they would have some new info to go look up online.

Leeny
Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:40
Depending on how much olive oil she used, she could have actually been doing a low-fat low-calorie diet. I bet Dr. Oz would totally approve of that meal ;) .

Elihnig
Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:50
It almost was a P2 meal for the HCG diet. Some people do use broccoli even though it is not on protocol.

Beth

lterry913
Thu, Feb-28-13, 18:27
Of course I didn't say anything to her!

Oh I didn't think you did...I was just saying people can be pretty sensitive about what they eat especially when overweight and someone slimmer inquires about what they are eating.

quietone
Fri, Mar-01-13, 10:22
Not only that, when I'm doin what I'm supposed to be doing, my appetite is completely under control and I don't eat much at all. I don't even want it.

Firefly428
Fri, Mar-01-13, 16:13
that could be me but I am taller :)

no telling what my plate will look like

in fact today I ate a good breakfast, hubby had nothing.

at 11 he wanted a burger. he ordered. I got unsweet tea.

his food came and the server dude looked at me and said, oh mam yours will be out in a minute. I said don't bother looking cause I didn't order anything.

So I sat and drank while everyone and hubby around me were woofing down food.

I doubt anyone thought twice about it :)

no telling the person's circumstances. don't worry about it cause you can't guess. not enough info to even try.