PDA

View Full Version : Tuna and Spinach Bake.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rosebud
Sun, May-19-02, 20:40
This is an LC adaptation of an "Australian Women's Weekly" recipe.

30g (1oz)butter
1 medium onion, chopped
6 large silverbeet leaves, chopped (I use appropriate amount of frozen spinach, instead)
425g (14oz) can tuna, drained, flaked
¾ cup cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten
120g (4oz) grated tasty cheese

Melt butter in medium frying pan, add onion, stir over heat for about 2 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add spinach to pan, cook until wilted. If using frozen spinach, stir over heat until all liquid evaporated.
Spread spinach mixture into ovenproof dish (6 cup capacity). Top with tuna, then combined cream and eggs. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Bake in moderate oven for about 40 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.
Serves 4.

DWRolfe
Sun, May-19-02, 20:57
I'll give this one a try for sure...

...Thanks Rosebud!

Donald :wave:

Iowagirl
Mon, Jan-22-07, 09:30
Tried this, this morning. I like all of the ingredients in this recipe but still it was....well.....BAD. I only used one can of tuna which is good since that was all I tasted. I like the rest of the recipe - I think next time I will substitute ham or bacon for the tuna.

Rosebud
Mon, Jan-22-07, 15:44
Sorry 'bout that, Iowagirl. :( I haven't made this for a long time, but the last time I did, I used salmon rather than tuna, and I think I prefer that to the tuna.
But ham, bacon or even cooked chicken should be a tasty substitute.

Roz

rubydubbs
Mon, Jan-22-07, 16:27
rosebud,

I recently cooked that meal for my husband and I and we both thought it was fantastic. I recently had extra salmon this week and thought I would try it a salmon bake this time. I found this site which gave me great a lot of results from many different recipe sites.

http://www.familyoven.com/search.jsp?search_name=bake&search_ings=salmon%2C+spinach&site_id=100&site_id=103&site_id=105&site_id=107&site_id=102&site_id=101&site_id=107&site_id=106

let me know what you think
-ruby

Iowagirl
Mon, Jan-22-07, 21:31
No need to apologize! I did like the quiche quality of it and it was a cinch to prepare. Next time I'll just use a different meat.