PDA

View Full Version : not enough carbs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bbmedic413
Tue, Feb-26-13, 18:10
Has anybody experienced trouble eating too FEW carbs? After about 6 weeks low carbing, I've noticed that the lower I go, mainly under about 20-30g carbs per day, the more anxiety and lack of energy and just not feeling right I feel. However when I'm in the 50g-100g range I feel great and lose weight. Is it possible that I'm just meant to low carb at a little bit higher of a daily carb intake?

CallmeAnn
Tue, Feb-26-13, 18:15
How's your salt intake?

Mrs. Skip
Tue, Feb-26-13, 18:17
IMHO, it seems that males (especially younger ones) need more carbs to function properly, just as you have observed in yourself. I think you should stay in the range where you feel best and are losing weight. Just make sure the carbs you do eat are healthy choices. :)

Judynyc
Tue, Feb-26-13, 18:18
Has anybody experienced trouble eating too FEW carbs? After about 6 weeks low carbing, I've noticed that the lower I go, mainly under about 20-30g carbs per day, the more anxiety and lack of energy and just not feeling right I feel. However when I'm in the 50g-100g range I feel great and lose weight. Is it possible that I'm just meant to low carb at a little bit higher of a daily carb intake?
In my experience, yes, it is very possible as I feel the same way. ;)

Liz53
Tue, Feb-26-13, 18:20
The daily minimum requirement for carbs is zero. After a period of adaptation, your muscles are happy to run on fat and your brain can run on glucose converted from protein or on ketones, a byproduct of fat burning.

That said, if you feel better and lose weight on 50-100 grams of carbs, assuming they are "healthy carbs", why not? I began eating low carb with South Beach and was certainly eating >50 grams per day in carbs and losing well. With age, I've had to cut back somewhat, but am constantly trying to find that sweet spot where I lose weight and still have variety in what I eat. In my experience, that sweet spot can shift and lower is not always better.

Firefly428
Wed, Feb-27-13, 05:32
I've had days where I ate very low carb. like 6-7 net carbs for a good while. I don't notice a difference. I can eat 25 net or 4 net and feel the same for the day.

I eat tho. when my carbs are low it is because I headed toward protein and fat that day mostly.

but I do think some people do require more carbs to feel in balance.

everyone does have to find their personal sweet spot.

bbmedic413
Wed, Feb-27-13, 07:17
I think you're right Firefly. For the last week I was in a stall and felt physically horrible with a touch of anxiety. I was also only eating 20-30g net carbs per day. Well, the last few days I brought myself back into the 75g net carb area, stall broken and I feel back to normal. I guess this is my "sweet spot."

I've had days where I ate very low carb. like 6-7 net carbs for a good while. I don't notice a difference. I can eat 25 net or 4 net and feel the same for the day.

I eat tho. when my carbs are low it is because I headed toward protein and fat that day mostly.

but I do think some people do require more carbs to feel in balance.

everyone does have to find their personal sweet spot.

FREE2BEME
Wed, Feb-27-13, 09:57
WOW! I was just mentioning in my journal about how I feel that when I focus on my eating and lower my carbs (usually seem to be eating right at maintenance levels), then I feel low and experience anxiety! I guess it's not just my imagination. Maybe we were just meant to eat a bit more carbs. I've also heard that lowering your carbs too much can slow down the thyroid function, which sometimes results in anxiety symptoms. Something to think about. Yay for being able to lose weight AND eat a bit more healthy carbs. :)

bbmedic413
Wed, Feb-27-13, 10:04
I think my thyroid function was being lowered with the relatively low carbs. Aside from the symptoms described above, my neck (right where my thyroid is!) actually felt a bit swollen. No panic, not to the point of difficulty breathing or swallowing, but I was just very aware of it. I do know that the body has no physiologic necessity for carbohydrates, but after a lifetime of eating them, I suppose weaning them out of the diet can be done by some in 6 days, others 6 weeks, and others may take even longer! I guess we just have to remember that we don't need instant results. This is a lifestyle change, not a crash diet, with the overall goal being good health.

WOW! I was just mentioning in my journal about how I feel that when I focus on my eating and lower my carbs (usually seem to be eating right at maintenance levels), then I feel low and experience anxiety! I guess it's not just my imagination. Maybe we were just meant to eat a bit more carbs. I've also heard that lowering your carbs too much can slow down the thyroid function, which sometimes results in anxiety symptoms. Something to think about. Yay for being able to lose weight AND eat a bit more healthy carbs. :)

Blenders
Wed, Feb-27-13, 10:18
Yes! I definitely have anxiety if I go too low in carbs (I always thought I was just a hypochondriac, lol). I think finding your "sweet spot" is a moving target. What used to be your sweet spot in your 20s, may not be the same in your 30s, 40s, etc.

Exercise plays a big role too. Sure, your body can adjust to exercise while on low carb but I never had the same strength or endurance as I do when I up my carbs.

I'm doing a version of CAD so I generally eat between 100-150g/day. I feel great!

Blenders
Wed, Feb-27-13, 10:32
I think my thyroid function was being lowered with the relatively low carbs. Aside from the symptoms described above, my neck (right where my thyroid is!) actually felt a bit swollen.

YES! This happened to me too. I've been doing Atkins for most of my adult life and weight loss was getting harder and harder. Even with fat fasts, zero carb dieting, and intense exercise, the weight wasn't budging. Atkins even admits in one of his books that long term low carb dieting can negatively affect the thyroid (sorry, I don't have the reference, I will try to find it).
I was also beginning to notice a weird "full" sensation in my throat, like I had a pill stuck and would repeatedly try to swallow but it didn't help. This symptom has disappeared completely now.
There is no recommended daily allowance for carbohydrates because the body can make it's own glucose (gluconeogenesis). IMHO, for optimal body functioning, some carbs are necessary.

Liz53
Wed, Feb-27-13, 10:37
There is no recommended daily allowance for carbohydrates because the body can make it's own glucose (gluconeogenesis). IMHO, for optimal body functioning, some carbs are necessary.

I would be willing to allow that that might be true for you, but I would not say that it extends to everyone.

Firefly428
Wed, Feb-27-13, 13:14
I think you're right Firefly. For the last week I was in a stall and felt physically horrible with a touch of anxiety. I was also only eating 20-30g net carbs per day. Well, the last few days I brought myself back into the 75g net carb area, stall broken and I feel back to normal. I guess this is my "sweet spot."

It is good to know yourself. See, you are finding that you do require a bit more carbs. just make great carb choices and you will do fine. Glad you are feeling more normal!

no 'diet for life' is worth feeling bad. So if you found your area than you are lucky. Many don't ever recognize that they might be the type of people that do require a bit more carbs to balance themselves and feel great. they just abandon the way of eating. which is sad cause this way of eating really is a great way to live. low carb, medium carb...find what is right for you and have at it :)