PDA

View Full Version : Shall I buy the New edition of Dr A's book?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

juicyjacki
Fri, May-17-02, 14:15
I have been wondering if anyone out there has bought both the old editions of the new diet revolution (mines a year old, bright orange cover) and the new edition?

Is it worth splashing out on the new edition? Are there a lot of changes? Is it research, recipes or has the approached been tweaked? Will there be anything in the new version that I can not find on here or other low carb pages?

Im not a skinflint buy the way, just hate doing things twice!

tamarian
Fri, May-17-02, 14:26
I have the old, the new, and the latest version as well.

The new edition, December 2001, did change a lot. The changes in the Plan itself are not drastic, and a person following the DANDR version would be o.k. with the previous version. However, the most significant improvement, in my opinion, is the research part. Almost every page contain references to studies (listed in an appendix,) to confirm every significant statement or claim. This in itself made the purchase worth it for me.

Wa'il

LittleAnne
Tue, May-21-02, 07:28
Jacki

I don't think the new Dr Atkins book is available in the UK yet unless you order it from the US. Certainly on Amazon they still only have the orange coloured version which I believe was a special print for the UK. I suspect some of the text was modified. This was printed in January 1999 which I think is newer than the old US version. I have never seen reference to an orange version in the US. What I don't know is how much difference the new DANDR has compared to our version. For all I know ours could have been a halfway house before the US version as there are quite a lot of references in it.

Rather than get the new Dr A you might want to buy one of the other books to get a more rounded picture on low carbing and how your metabolism works. I found Diana Schwazbein's book very good, Amazon have this. I also have read Protein Power. I certainly have found the more different books I read the more I find out.

I'll leave it with you to decide your next step.

fiona
Tue, May-21-02, 15:44
I find there is so much to read here and other sites online that it leaves very little time for reading a book.

I'd go for a different book as I feel a fair amount of the new atkins book would be repetition. A different author's approach is bound to be slightly different and as Little Ann says you do learn more.

The decision and choice is yours to make Jacki.
Take care,