PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally quit smoking

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

henbane
Tue, May-14-02, 17:02
Oops! I quit smoking!

Started low-carbing just one week ago and by day three, I "forgot" to smoke. I had no intention of quitting, mind you. Who in their right mind tries to give up cigarettes, sugar and carbs all in one week?! But my cravings have magically disappeared. I'm not kidding. No one told me this would happen and I couldn't be more thrilled. I haven't smoked in almost a week and I have zero cravings. After years of being an addict, this is nothing short of a miracle to me.

:D henbane

dizzyd
Wed, May-15-02, 13:18
I can't imagine a more fortunate thing! What a blessing!

henbane
Fri, May-17-02, 14:22
I'm STILL not smoking! Yup! It's been 9 days now! I think my diet took away my physical cravings, but I've had a few mental ones this week, but I stayed committed to quitting. After 15 years, I feel pretty good about this.

TeriDoodle
Fri, May-17-02, 17:00
Wow, that IS amazing!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

henbane
Mon, May-20-02, 15:13
Friday night I almost smoked because I did get a craving. It was purely psychological. Usually whenever I stay home on a Friday night I like to stay up all night on a caffiene and cigarette binge. I managed not to smoke, in some respects by eating. However, I only at allowable induction foods and still stayed below 20 g of carbs. So I feel pretty proud of myself. I'm determined to be a shining exception to the rule that you can't quit smoking and not gain weight. I'm going to quit smoking and LOSE weight!

henbane

Linnea
Wed, May-22-02, 11:04
Congratulations! Not many people can say they accidently stopped smoking!

I read about this in the Atkins book. People just 'stop' having the nicotine cravings once the carb cravings get out of their system. When I first started this way of life, I felt that effect. For some reason it just didn't feel important to smoke. When I lost my way I started smoking again....but trying again now!!!

Keep it up! We are here for you anytime!

Linnea

henbane
Wed, May-22-02, 11:34
Thank you, Linnea. Sadly, your post comes after a night of sin, on my part. An old friend came into town... well, see my journal for more details:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=44598

Suffice it to say, I blew it last night but I'm going to get right back on the wagon today, especially since I still don't have physical cravings. I just need to stay away from alcohol and peer pressure!

henbane

Linnea
Wed, May-22-02, 12:02
Hey don't worry about it! No point in beating yourself up...it happens!

Do exactly what you're doing...pick up right where you left off. That's the one thing that always get's me too. I went for lunch with a friend that I hadn't seen in a very long time....a fellow smoker....at a pub no less.

One thing you have to keep in mind is what your triggers are. I now know I cannot go dancing at the club or go play bingo at the local pub with my friends. The temptation is too great...like you said, especially when you throw in alcohol. I figure maybe after two more months of being smoke free I should be able to do those things again.

Friends are usually pretty understanding. I tell them straight out. I am sorry, I would love to go out with you, but I am just going to wait until my willpower is a little stronger...however if you'd like to meet for coffee at the local Starbucks....

Wow...listen to me blabber!

Linnea

henbane
Wed, May-22-02, 15:55
Thanks for the moral support. I agree that staying out of pubs is good. I also need to tell my smoking friends not to give me cigarettes!

henbane
Wed, Jun-12-02, 14:20
Just checking in to let everyone know I DID get back on the wagon like I said and haven't had a cigarette since. So it's been almost a MONTH since I quit, if I don't count that one night of sin. And HEY, if I have one night of sin a month, I'm still WAY better off than I was when I was smoking a couple packs a week!

Low carbing makes quitting so much easier. It's as if the metabolism changes take away the cravings. I've had a couple of psychological cravings since I quit. A particularly hard day at work or a drink with friends will usually spark that. But I just shrug it off like I do when I get a sugar craving. Same thing!

Lately I've added yoga to my routine and that has removed every last ounce of craving. It's so nice not to have to take breaks all the time for that smoke, not to have my clothes and car smell, and not having that helpless, addition feeling.

I will say one thing. I haven't been going out at night at all. It makes it easier. I worry about when I start going out again. That'll be my next challenge. To have a night life and STILL not smoke!

henbane

culliallen
Sun, Jul-21-02, 13:15
I've read all your posts and am hoping that you are still going strong. I've been Atkins-ing off and on for years....use it faithfully whenever I have to take off some weight...which is now....but, I've had to quit smoking, too. I'm on my fourth day, and don't want to gain weight, so I'm just sticking with low carb stuff...and lots and lots of water. Hope all is going well with you.

:spin: Life is good!