PDA

View Full Version : Maureen's Ultra Exercise Log!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mmoranmic
Tue, May-14-02, 13:40
05/14/02
Time for an exercise log. I've been logging my workouts on my food diary so here goes.

Today's exercise-Hike 1 hour up/down Cowles Mtn.
Exercise sit ups (180) Weights arms only with lighter weights, stretching of back and legs, rolled out the ITB and calves on the 6" roller. Did foot circles 25 in each direction for each foot.

This is a rest week for my big race on Saturday! I'm getting excited and I hope all my hard work will pay off. My "core" feels stronger and I think that will propell me late in the day. My weight is at a point that I've raced at before, the extra seven pounds I was carrying is noticable. One pound at a time I'll feel lighter and the strength I've developed will help.

After this race and the recovery I'll start working on my legs. I was doing lunges for awhile but it bothered my knee. I'll try again and go really easy. Note to self *Order Dan's book for reference.

mmoranmic
Wed, May-15-02, 13:36
Slept in till 5a.m. Walked Lucy at the lake, she wanted to turn around early so I let her. Found out her colitis is acting up again.

I'm in rest mode so I'll only stetch out tonight and try to get to bed early.

It's been four weeks on Schwarzbein.

mmoranmic
Thu, May-16-02, 17:35
1 hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn. Lucy is feeling much better today, she dranks lots of water at the top and the finish. I went to my acupuncturist today, she said my pulse was good and I am very strong right now. That's good news from her, usually she says I'm worn out. I'm really getting excited about this weekend! Need to rest tonight and sleep in till 5am on Fri.

mmoranmic
Fri, May-17-02, 14:44
Slept in till 5:30 a.m. Walked Lucy at the Lake. Tapering/resting sucks! I have lots of nervous energy. I'm so excited about tomorrow I can hardly stand it!

mmoranmic
Tue, May-21-02, 16:28
100 miles in 33.5 hours! We did it! What an experience! I had a great time (for the most part) had a rough spell around mile 25 and then again from miles 52 to 68. After mile 68 I knew that I would make it. I tried to keep track of my food consumption but that didn't work! I ate about 200 calories an hour and drank plenty of fluids. I'll put a report on the list in the next day or two. The first 50 miles results can be found at www.lostboysultra.com (results 2002) Our second 50 miles was not connected to the race in any way, we where on our own. I will submit a report to the UltraList.

Today I walked Lucy (my dog) at the lake. She wanted to go short and that was fine by me! My feet are sore (blistered, toenails dead, etc) I'll walk her again tomorrow and try to get back to hiking this Thurs. I plan on putting my weight bench (some assembly required) together this weekend so I can start to work on my leg strength.

Take care,
Maureen

mmoranmic
Fri, May-24-02, 16:42
No exercise Wed or Thurs, I walked Lucy this morning at the lake. I WILL set up my weight bench this weekend and work on the upper body, no legs for another week.

Bad case of poison ivy from May 11th! Hod to go to the Doc for a shot and meds. That's nasty stuff!

Swelling in feet is almost gone, feet are still a little sore and blisters are starting to heal. Maybe a good soak tonight.

I'll walk Lucy in the a.m. and maye get on the treadmill, depending on how I feel.

mmoranmic
Mon, May-27-02, 12:50
I walked Lucy at the lake on Saturday. I finally got my weight bench set up yesterday! I'm sure it will help, especially with leg work.

I ran/hiked for 5 miles this morning at Cowles Mtn. Total time 1:19. I can't believe how good I felt. I didn't have "dead legs" so it must be THE FOOD! THis afternoon I'll stretch and do my floor exercises.

OH! Weight is now down to 165! Very exciting as 167 was a set point for me. The next hurdle will be 163. I'll have to work hard to push it past that. I'm very grateful that I've lost 8 pounds in the last two months. Slow and steady works for me.

mmoranmic
Mon, May-27-02, 12:51
Make that nine pounds in the last two months!

mmoranmic
Tue, May-28-02, 16:22
One hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy. She had ablast, good on the leash and she sure sleeps when we get home! All done on an empty stomach. Had a test early this morning so I didn't exercise (sit ups, etc) Will try again Wed morning!

mmoranmic
Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:03
May 29th, walked Lucy at the lake.

May 30th, Cowles Mtn again, 1 hour up and down.

May 31st, rest day. We traveled up to Fish Camp, it's over 400 miles from San Diego. Checked in and ate dinner.

mmoranmic
Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:12
June 1, 2002

Shadow of the Giants 50K. The race started at 7am, had a three hour cut-off for the first 22K. I think it was closer to 25K cuz I really had to hustle to make that. Did make the cutoff, stopped for a bathroom break and got one of my shakes from the cooler, drank that and headed back out. My legs were really tired for this race as I haven't totally recovered from Lost Boys. I'm glad I ran though because this race had the most beautiful course that I've ever run on!

I did catch up with a friend of mine and we ran together. We entered the one mile loop of giant sequoias and took a lot of pictures, they should turn out nice. We gutted it out for a finish time of 7:45-7:50, well under the eight hour cut off. I was pleased with the results as we took a lot of time to enjoy the scenery and my legs were just not back to their usual strength.

My food was good during the race, I ate nine Gu's, one protein shake, one Zone bar and I drank Coke and ate orange slices at each aid station.

My only problem was that my calves were cramping almost the whole time! They cramped at Lost Boys too so I'm not getting something in my minerals or they need strength training.

This week I plan on getting back to doing my sit ups, weight training and floor exercises. This is VERY IMPORTANT in my program and I don't want to get away from it.

Tonight I get a massage and I'll take it easy, tomorrow I'll hike and start exercising.

mmoranmic
Tue, Jun-11-02, 16:56
06/11/02 Finally, I'm back on track. Hiked up and down Cowles Mtn (one hour) and came home and did my exercises 180 sit ups, 60 lunges, exercise ball stuff and weight training. I started on my legs today on my new weight bench. It works pretty well, I did leg extensions and knee lifts (I think that's what they're called) I'll have to look up in my weight book. I'm now working on getting my hamstrings stronger as they are weak. I'm also stretching more as my left calf and entire leg has been tight since the 100 miler. I'm also noticing that I have been fatigued and that I need to get lots of rest! There's a fine line between getting rest and getting up early enough to do my training.

Tues & Thurs leg work. Mon, Wed, Fri sit ups and exercises.

Future goal, get under 160 pounds by July 30th. Any more will be a bonus. I think I'll be adding muscle with my weight training and the pounds might not drop much. I want to be really strong for the JMT fastpack and anything under 163 will be my lowest weight in ten years! I'm also setting a realistic goal.

mmoranmic
Fri, Jun-14-02, 17:01
06/12/02 45 minutes on the treadmill with a ten pound pack. Weights, sit ups, legs. Walked Lucy at the lake too.

06/13/02 1 hour hike. Went to acupuncture for my monthly appointment. Man, she worked on my back and calves. Hurt like hell on the calves but it sure helped! I can't believe how tight they get. I must continue stretching!

mmoranmic
Fri, Jun-14-02, 17:05
I lost the weight I was holding on to after my carb relapse so I'm back to 165.

mmoranmic
Sun, Jun-16-02, 13:07
06/14/02 Rest Day

06/15/02 Repeats of Cuyamaca Peak fire road. Each trip is 5.6 miles and we made three trips each one with negative splits. I kept track of the uphill time. Each time (2.8 miles up) as follows, 53:20, 52:50, 51:08. The last one was really hard!

Total mileage was 16.8
Elevation gain each trip up was 1700 feet over 2.8 miles.
Excellent training day!

I used 4 GUs and ate two Zone bars for a total of 150 carbs for exercise.

mmoranmic
Thu, Jun-20-02, 16:50
June 18th Cowles Mtn hike 1 hour, weights for legs and sit ups. Lots of stretching.

June 19th 1/2 hour treadmill, weights for arms and sit ups.

June 20th one hour hike, weights/legs and sit ups.

mmoranmic
Sun, Jun-23-02, 12:27
June 22nd-50K on trails in the Cuyamaca Mtns. We used the four peaks route and bagged four peaks. We were out on the trail for 9 hours. One of our runners got sick and we stopped at the store for lunch. I finished strong, running the last 5 miles in. I used Clif shots which is made from brown rice syrup. I'll try to make my own this week.

June 23rd-Went to Mass at 7am then headed over to Cowles Mtn for a 5 mile loop. I wore my backpack with 15-20 pounds of weight. I summited in 31 minutes then went over the back side and came back on the Barker Way trail for a total of 5 miles. I also used my treking poles. I was hungry as hell! I couldn't wait to get done so I could eat my fruit and veggies.

This was a good back to back weekend! I need to really stretch out my calves which have been very tight!

mmoranmic
Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:12
June 24 up to the 28th were regular workouts. I rested on the 29th and on the 30th we drove up to Whitney Portal. We set up camp and walked up to the store getting ourselves used to the altitude. It's about 8,000 here.

mmoranmic
Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:15
Monday July 1st. Dayhike up to Mt WHitney. We left camp at 6a.m. and reached the summit 6.5 hours later. SUmmit is 14, 4?? (just under 14, 500). Mt Whitney is the highest point in the contigious United States. We hiked back down for a total time of 12:05. This was my 6th summit and my friend Rosemary's first. We walked back to camp and I immediately drank a recovery drink (protein/glutamine), then cleaned up, had dinner and went to bed.

mmoranmic
Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:19
Tuesday, July 2nd.
My second dayhike up to Mt Whitney! A double Whitney if you will. My friend didn't want to hike the second day so I set out by myself at 5:05a.m. I hiked very strongly reaching the summit in just over 6 hours (less time than yesterday!) I hiked back down and reached the Portal in 11:34 good for a negative split. I walked back to camp and my friend was gone (went hiking elsewhere) so I had to walk back up the the store to get ice. It was a good recovery walk. I slept pretty well that night and we drove back to San Diego the next day.

mmoranmic
Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:20
July 4th and 5th
One hour each day on the treadmill with my pack on. Weight in pack of 20lbs. I took it slow and easy. Then I did my floor exercises, sit ups, and weights.

mmoranmic
Mon, Jul-08-02, 18:24
July 6th -Rest Day

July 7th-Two loops of Iron Mtn-Total milage 19 miles with a 22lb pack. It was hellishly hot that second loop and I would have passed on it if Paul (my training partner) wasn't there. I was really tired when I got home so I took a nap. I need the recovery and I need to spend more time stretching as my heel was starting to hurt.

July 8th-I walked Lucy at the lake then came home and stretched! My foot/heel feels better and I wore flat shoes so my calf wouldn't tighten up again. I'll keep working on it.

mmoranmic
Fri, Jul-12-02, 17:36
July 9th-Cowles MTn 1 hour hike. Home-weights and floor exercises. I stretch a lot so my calf feels better.

mmoranmic
Fri, Jul-12-02, 17:40
July 10th and 11th. I walked Lucy at Lake Murray and did an hour on the treadmill on the 11th. Floor exercises and weights on Thurs too.

Friday, July 12th. Rest day, 20 mile trail run (mostly uphill) on Saturday. Lucy has injured her tail, I don't know how so she has to take it easy. I need to have a high milage weekend, Sat 20, Sunday at least 10, then start tapering for my trip. Lots of stretching and two visits to t e acupuncturist to make sure all parts are in good working order. I need to finish packing my backpack this weekend as I don't want to wait till the last minute. This will be the biggest challenge of my life! I'm starting to get really excited about it!

mmoranmic
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:51
Sat July 13th
We drove up to Temecula for a trail run. A twenty mile loop, most of it uphill. The trail was nice till we got an a portion that hadn't been used in years. It was fun bushwacking. My new shoes NB904's were awful, I'm taking them back. During the last section appx 3 miles from the finish one of our runners got heat exhaustion. We sat for a while and cooled him off with stashed water, gave him sodium/potasium and had him chew up some THerma Tabs too. He was wearing a heart rate monitor and it showed an even heart rate but we did walk back the last three miles to the campgound. It was hot as hell, the temp in the shade was 95 so it must have been over a 100 on the trail. I felt good all day, didn't eat as much, carried plenty of water.

mmoranmic
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:54
SUnday July 14th
I took Lucy to the lake early, went back home, got my pack and headed over to Cowles Mtn. It was hot again! I hiked for eight miles, up and down. This was a good test of my pack and the accessories (water bottle holders) attached to it. My pack weight was twenty pounds. The weight for the trip will be 32 with food and equip. If I can get it under that I would be thrilled but I doubt I can.
I spent the rest of the day getting gear together, buying equip and food and NEW shoes!

mmoranmic
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:57
MOnday, JUly 15th
Rest day, walked Lucy at the lake, that's it.

Tuesday, July 16th One hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn. We heard a rattlesnake on the return trip so I kept Lucy really close.
I didn't do any weight training or floor work today had the carpenter over to put in a new dog door for Lucy. Will go to the acupuncturist tonight! I can't wait, I am tight in the left calf, she does a great job with massage and needles!

mmoranmic
Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:23
Aug 1st throught Aug 9th I fastpacked the John Muir Trail in the Sierra MOuntains. We started at Mt WHitney and finished 9 days, 1 hour and 7 minutes later in Yosemite Valley. We went off course for 12 hours resulting in an additional 20-24 miles. Our total milage was 240-250 miles all at altitude. Needless to say I used lots of carbs for fuel and I performed pretty well, energy was good. I did have a two day stretch with breathing difficulties but I plan on visiting my doctor for that and to have my hormones checked as my hair is falling/thinning out.

I lost two pounds on this trip and I think it bumped my set point so I should be able to get under 160 pounds within a month or so. My goal is to start swimming and continue (on a more regular basis) my weight training. I can actually see the refcent weight loss and it's a good motivator.

mmoranmic
Fri, Aug-16-02, 17:59
Thurssay, Aug 15th - Hiked Cowles Mtn with Lucy. I felt pretty good, although later in the day I still feel fatigued and my plantar is tight. I got a massgae and it helped.

I don't plan on doing much this weekend, rest and relaxation, maybe take Lucy to the lake Sat morning. I'm giving myself a week of recovery and I'll get started back with the weights and exercise on Sunday or Monday.

mmoranmic
Wed, Aug-21-02, 11:35
One hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn. Took a while to warm up the old muscles but I started feeling great towards the top. It feels good to be back on track. I got the garage area (where treadmill and weight bench are) cleared up from all of my trip stuff so I now have all my equipment ready. No excuses for not doing my sit ups and weight training!

mmoranmic
Thu, Aug-22-02, 15:06
Aug 22nd One hour on the treadmill 4% and 6% grade. Two sets of arm weights. One set of lunges. Nice to be back out in the garage working out in the morning. I really want to get toned up and lose some more pounds before the end of Sept. My goal for then is under 160 but 155 would be ideal! We'll see, so far it's been very, very slow but I haven't suffered at all! I do need to get my sit ups and weight training in. I do sleep better at night after a good workout in the morning.

mmoranmic
Sun, Aug-25-02, 13:08
Aug 23rd, one hour hike up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy.

Aug 24th- Fifteen mile trail run up in the Lagunas on the race course. There is a three mile section damaged by the fire. It's like you're running on the moon! My lungs felt fine but my legs haven't recovered from the hike. I'm glad we had a short run. we took it easy too.

mmoranmic
Wed, Sep-04-02, 11:55
Last week, two trips up/down Cowles Mtn and Lucy to the lake once. I spent most of my time getting ready for the race (that I directed)

09/03-Cowles Mtn (after work) up and down the back fire road. Very steep. It felt so good to be back on the trail
09/04/02-Up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy

Hubby is on vacation so I need to be home more for Lucy. I'll have a pet sitter while I'm running this Sat and I'll stay in town on Fri and Sun. Need to run 50 miles over three days this weekend as my last long run before Angeles Crest 100 on Sept 28th.

My doctor was very helpful, he listened and prescribed medication that should help with my lung problems. I started it today and I'll see how it works this weekend.

mmoranmic
Sat, Sep-07-02, 12:19
09/05/02 Walked Lucy at the lake then spent one hour on the treadmill at grade.

09/06/02 Up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy

09/07/02- One loop of Iron Mtn (8 miles) My bursa behind my left knee started bothering me. It's an overuse injury so I need to lay off the hills, ice and rest. I can go swimming and try to do more on flat surfaces. I do love the hills! Oh well, I'm always good at taking care of a potential injury.

mmoranmic
Sun, Sep-22-02, 16:05
Usual weekly workout has been Lake Murray on Monday, COwles Mtn on Wed & Friday and a 18-20 mile trail run on Sat. I haven't had ant time to do any weight training. I know I need to but I am buried at work right now.

I am excited about our 100 mile training run next weekend. I plan on finishing if my bursa doesn't act up! It will be a lot of fun and I want to help a new woman (running her first 100) get through the race, plus we have so many friends volunteering to help.

Workouts for this week will be the same as weeks past. I'm hoping that starting in Oct I'll be able to lift and maybe go swimming! We shall see.

mmoranmic
Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:09
Sept 28th I only ran 52 miles of the 100 as I did not feel 100% up for a 100 miles and I was not willing to risk an injury. I felt pretty good but my left calf and achilles were extremely tight. I also felt like I didn't have the hill strength. I had suspected that I hadn't totally recovered from the John Muir Trail and I believe I am correct. I think my hormones are shot and I need to take it easy, get lots of rest and build my system back up. I started on Progestrone cream and my exercise program will now be geared for my next event, the 24 hour track run. I may just walk the full 24 hours but we'll see how my recovery goes.

Running Log- Sept 28th 52 miles, Sept 29th 3 miles, Sept 30th 30 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes stretching, Oct 1 1/2 hour treadmill in the a.m. and 45 minutes treadmill in the p.m. (a.m. stretching too)

Oct 2, Up and down Cowles Mtn (one hour) and stretching at home

mmoranmic
Mon, Oct-07-02, 16:38
Sat Oct 5th. Ran a local 5K race. It was cross county. I ran the first mile in 8:25! I couldn't beleive it, specially after the 52 miler last weekend. I went and signed up at the Joan Kroc Center, only $10 a month. I'll go down there and swim and use the weight machine that is similar to a rowing machine.

Sunday Oct 6th-Spent two hours at the track, running and walking and stretching a lot! The stretching was good, I need to do more of that.

Monday Oct 7th-Walked Lucy at the lake, she didn't want to go far, a noise startled her. A backfire really scared her last Friday so she must be remembering that!

mmoranmic
Thu, Oct-10-02, 13:21
Tues Oct 8th- One hour on treadmill walking only, mostly at a 17 minute mile pace and up to a 15 mph pace. Lots of stretching!!!!
The heel lifts are helping the tight achilles.

mmoranmic
Thu, Oct-10-02, 13:23
We Oct 9th-Up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy. We pretty much run the downhill now since my green LED flashlight is so good. Lots of stretching at home as well as sit ups.

mmoranmic
Thu, Oct-10-02, 13:26
Thurs Oct 10th
Ran six miles on the track, then did a little hill work on a concrete ramp near the tennis courts! I then walked and did lunges on the track and spent 15 minutes stretching. TOM is due on Sat and so far I feel pretty good! All of the supplements seem to be helping. I hope so.

I do need to get to the track earlier as I got stuck in the morning rush on the way home! I was nice to sleep in till 4:30 but what the heck, I can get up at 4!

mmoranmic
Fri, Oct-11-02, 14:26
Friday Oct 11th
One hour up and down Cowles Mtn with Lucy. Legs were a little sore from yesterday. Tomorrow I plan on a 12 mile trail run and on Sunday 3-4 hours at the track walking and running.

TOM due tomorrow, so far no back ache or other symptoms.

mmoranmic
Wed, Oct-16-02, 13:03
Oct 12th I was supposed to pace my friend in the last 12 miles but he dropped so I didn't run.

Oct 13th-90 minutes on the treadmill.

mmoranmic
Wed, Oct-16-02, 13:04
Oct 14th-Walked Lucy at the lake. One mile only. Have bad cramps.

mmoranmic
Wed, Oct-16-02, 13:06
Oct 15th 15 minutes up and down hill, that's it.

Oct 16th-1 hour up and down Cowles Mtn. My legs felt better and I didn't feel as fatigued as I usually am.

mmoranmic
Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:16
Oct 17th- 90 minutes on the track, run 4 laps, walk 1. I got there really early and was the only one there so all the little bunnies were out on the track! It was nice. I also did a little hill work.

mmoranmic
Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:18
Oct 18th
One hour up and down Cowles Mtn.

mmoranmic
Mon, Oct-21-02, 17:00
Oct 19th-Five hours at the track. 3.5 running, 1.5 walking. Boy, that surface is hard on the body! I used Sustained Energy mixed with Hammer Gel, upset my stomach. Next time I'll keep them separate. I was really tired when I got home!!

mmoranmic
Mon, Oct-21-02, 17:08
Oct 20th-Ten mile hike/easy run up in the mountains. It was beautiful out there and we had a good time. My legs felt pretty good and I didn't feel fatigued. I did take a nice nap when I got home.

mmoranmic
Sun, Oct-27-02, 15:35
Oct 21st-Lucy to lake for easy two miles.
Oct 22nd_off
Oct 23rd-Cowles Mtn-one hour up and down
Oct 24th-Off
Oct 25th-One hour up and down Cowles Mtn
Oct 26th-Ran a 5K race in under 29 minutes, then spent 4 hours on the track. It was raining but IO stayed out there.
Oct 27th-2 hours on the track. Went to a track closer to my home. It's a good hard surface so that's o.k. The back to back is good for my training.

mmoranmic
Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:21
Nov 9, 2002
80 miles on the track (San Diego One Day). I had stomach problems and was menstrating which really slowed me down. I knew I wouldn't reach 100 miles so I just took it easyand used this event as a training walk.

Nov 10th
One half hour on the treadmill. Feet are swollen.

Nov 16th
Fifteen mile trail run/hike with my friends. We had a good time and it was nice to be out on the trail again.

Nov 18th-23th Slow easy walks with a few trips up Cowles Mtn with Lucy

Nov 24th
Five miles at Cowles Mtn-Back muscles are really tight!

Nov 25th-Lucy to Lake Murray
Nov27th-Cowles Mtn with Lucy. I had a massage with accupunture yesterday it really helped. I think I'm back on track.