PDA

View Full Version : HomeFries / Hash Browns

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Thu, Apr-19-01, 22:22
Heaven, I'm in heaven ....

Sometimes, I really, really want something more to go with my bacon and eggs for brekkie. Came across a recipe in Fran McCullough's latest book "Living Low-Carb".

She calls for radishes, the red jobs. I used daikon (lo bok), and it was absolutely delicious. I imagine that the small white and purple turnips would also work just fine.

Hash Browns ... makes 2 servings

1 Tbsp bacon fat (I used butter)
half a small onion, diced
1 large bunch radishes, diced (I used ½ lb daikon, diced)
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp dried thyme
paprika
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- saute onion in the fat until soft, then add the radishes. Cook over medium heat until crisp outside, and soft inside, about 8 minutes. Add seasonings near end of cooking time. Sprinkle with paprika just before serving.

10.4 gm total, 8 gm fiber

Doreen

**note - I added a Tbsp of water with the diced daikon, and covered the skillet for 5 minutes, then removed cover and cranked up the heat to "brown" it a bit. Worked perfectly.

debbiedobson
Thu, Apr-19-01, 22:35
MMMMMMMMMMM!!! karen has got me hooked on daikon. i just love it. so does dave. i'll definitely try this dish. love that daikon!

i'd better go to bed now. it's way past my bedtime (9:00)!!:)

p.s. i was just scrolling up to close doreen, when i saw the title of your post. i hear maurice chavalier singing. am i right? (mind you i was a very little girl when i heard him sing in gigi)

r.mines
Thu, Apr-19-01, 22:48
Maurice Chevalier sang about home fries? :) Oh well, why not!

Doreen, that sounds yummy! I'm putting radishes and/or daikon on my shopping list right away!

The only problem is the ONIONS....one of my favourite veggies, but pretty high in carbs....in fact, I like them so much I don't even buy them....can't stop at one.....onion....me smell onion....where that onion????Me want onion....I suppose I could use green onions, they'd be just as good.

Rachel

doreen T
Fri, Apr-20-01, 08:32
Actually, the song "Dancing Cheek to Cheek" was written by Irving Berlin, and sung by Fred Astaire to Ginger Rogers in "Top Hat" I think Frank Sinatra also made a recorded hit out of it. Heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK Rachel, onions are carby for sure, but a small trade-off, I think, for all the flavour. Same for garlic .. :)

1/2 a small mature onion, nets about 3 Tbsp chopped = 2.7 total carbs, 0.8 fiber, so that's only 1.9 effective carbs.

Scallions (green onions) would work fine, I just find they burn faster! Scallions are about half the carbs of mature onions.

This brings me to the carb count listed in the book for the recipe ... Now that I have Netzer open in front of me -

onions - 2.7 / 0.8
radishes - 4.2 / 1.8 (assuming 1 cup chopped)
fat - 0
seasonings - 0.5
----------------------------------
for recipe - 7.4 gm total carbs; 2.6 gm fiber = 4.4 ECC per 2 servings.

daikon would be similar count, turnips would be a bit higher, but not much.

Bonnie
Fri, Apr-20-01, 09:53
This one is made with Zucchini.

1 - 1/2 pounds zucchini
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 T. Grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup butter

Directions:

1. Coarsely shred zucchini (you should have about 4 cups) and combine salt in a medium size bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze with your hands to press out moisture.

2. Stir in eggs, cheese and garlic.

3. Melt 2 T butter in a wide frying pan over medium high heat . Mound about 2 T of the zucchini mixture in pan; flatten slightly to make a patty. Repeat until pan is filled, but don't crowd patties in pan. Cook patties, turning once, until golden on both sides. (about 6 minutes).

4. Lift out and arrange on a warm platter, keep warm.

6 carbs per serving.

Sharon
Fri, Apr-20-01, 11:45
Recipes look great....anxious to try the Hash Browns!!!

r.mines
Fri, Apr-20-01, 19:10
Tried the hash browns this morning, using finely chopped turnip and green onions. Fried it in the same pan as some ham, so it absorbed some of the drippings. Very yummy, and so easy, even easier than potatoes, which I could never fry without having them go all gluey! That one's a keeper, for sure!

Rachel

Sharon
Sun, Apr-22-01, 19:14
Tried Doreen's version of the hash browns using "radish"...turned out great. I used green onion....and bacon drippings. It was so nice to have something extra with the bacon and eggs this morning!! Something to definitely look forward to on the weekend.

Sometimes I get treated to breakfast out on the weekends, but it always seems like such a waste paying for the homefries and the toast you can't have. It was a even a treat to cook and have the whole gusto this morning! Had a thin slice of low carb toast as well...so today I really splurged.....worked it all off this afternoon "brushing" trees on my lot....18 bags of "stuffs" and two truck loads of branches....but boy it felt good to be outside and enjoying the sun. I love exercise that doesn't seem like exercise.

Hope everyone else is starting to get some nice weather as well.

r.mines
Sun, Apr-22-01, 19:17
I hate paying for things in restaurants I don't eat, so when I have breakfast out, I always ask for a small side salad instead of toast and hashbrowns. I get a few odd looks, but no one's ever said no, and I've never been charged extra, either.

Rachel

r.mines
Mon, Apr-23-01, 11:20
I made turnip hash browns again this morning.

Chopped about 1/4 cup turnip up small and added it to the pan with bacon cooking in it, then threw in some green onion. Then, just on a whim, I added a couple tablespoons of crushed pork rinds. Cooked it all together for about 5 minutes, then fried an egg on the side.

Well, you know the crunchy bits that 'real' hash browns have, that you can't duplicate with turnip or radish? The pork rinds are a PERFECT substitute!

I suspect these would be very difficult to tell apart from potato hash browns. And VERY filling!

I think, with different spicing, and maybe with the addition of celery and mushrooms, this would also make a great side dish for chicken or turkey, or even a stuffing.

Rachel

doreen T
Mon, Apr-23-01, 16:18
hi Rachel,

I think you'll be happy to hear that turnips (the small white and purple ones) are a little lower in carbs than you think. I double-checked both Netzer and the USDA to be sure.

1/2 cup diced turnip is 3.8 carbs, minus 1.6 gm fiber. So, 2.2 effective carbs. That's no so bad.

I like the pork rinds idea. If only I could find the darn things. I can't afford to drive all over the city looking for this stuff, and don't want to either. I wish my local NoFrills still carried them, they had them over the Christmas - NewYears season, then no more .. :( .. And my local IGA doesn't have them either. And unfortunately, those things have a shelf life, and go stale rather quickly, so I can't "stock up" when I do find 'em. *whine, whimper ... *

Doreen

debbiedobson
Mon, Apr-23-01, 17:38
doreen, my no frills carries pork rinds. why don't you pester your no frills manager to get them in for you. they must be on their distribution list. the ones that i get are Snak King Perky Puffs. tell him that brian and karen's no frill in ajax, ontario carries them. good luck. i'm always finding new ideas for pork rinds. i can't wait to try pork rinds french toast. i'm just waiting for my davinci's pancake syrop fromm island girl's LowCarb Food Experts.

Deirdre
Mon, Apr-23-01, 20:27
Doreen do you have a Bulk Barn near you? They usually have pork rinds. They also have them at IDA drug stores around here but they're the more expensive Old Grandad's brand.

Sorbee's makes pancake syrup with Splenda, and other flavours. Maybe you could ask somewhere they carry other Sorbee products - Walmart, A&P, Bulk Barn - if they could get the syrup. I got it in Toronto at the Specialty Food Store in Sick Kids hospital. I also use E.D. Smith pancake syrup, it's a little higher in carbs though.

I'll have to try the radish home fries to go with my pork rind pancakes - boy does that sound weird!

shelley
Mon, Apr-23-01, 21:21
Food Basics also carries E.D. Smith syrup as well as the Hollywood bread. At least the Basics in Cambridge does.

r.mines
Wed, May-23-01, 12:54
Well, I wanted hash browns with my egg and bacon this morning, but all I had in my fridge was cabbage. NOT BAD!!!

I chopped it fine and fried it with the bacon (after pouring off most of the grease) and about 1 tbsp onion. Sprinkled 4 pork rinds over to make crunchy bits. Maybe I'm getting weird tastebuds from lowcarbing, but I thought it was yummy! And way lower carb than the turnip!

Rachel

doreen T
Wed, May-23-01, 19:07
Originally posted by r.mines
Maybe I'm getting weird tastebuds from lowcarbing, but I thought it was yummyRachel, I think we have "twin" tastebuds. Sounds yummy to me. In fact, if you account for the 3 hr. time difference between us, you were probably cooking brekkie close enough to when I was cooking lunch ... I had a stalk of broccoli .. still fine to eat, but a bit yellow and past its prime... steamed, then pureed it, with a dot of cream cheese, and lots of basil. I crunched up a handful of pork rinds, tossed with some parmesan and melted butter, topped the broccoli puree and stuck under the broiler for a couple minutes (Ooooh, does that stuff want to burn fast, or what?) ... totally yummy... :)

Do try the original version of the hash browns, which uses radishes (the red jobs) also mega-lowcarb (2.1 carbs minus 0.9 fiber for 1/2 cup chopped)

Doreen

r.mines
Wed, May-23-01, 23:59
I will, Doreen....but my neighbour keeps giving me cabbage, and I can't keep up! (why do they buy the stuff if they don't eat it?)

Your brocolli puree sounds yummy. Do you use one of those 'stick' blenders? I have one, but keep forgetting I own it!

Gee, I like veggies!

Rachel

Norma June
Mon, Aug-20-01, 07:45
Doreen, I tried the hash browns Saturday morning using the small white/purple turnip. Excellent! Thank you for posting the recipe. DH absolutely LOVED it. Those white/purple turnips are going to be a staple in this house from now on. What a nice change. Also can be used for dinner in place of lettuce & cherry tomato. Thanks again!

I tried something similar last night for dinner using the small white/purple turnip sliced almost paper thin in order to simulate scalloped potatoes. It shows promise ;)

My MIL got me making scalloped potatoes using cream of celery soup but of course I can't do that now so I had to improvise. I used turnip sliced thin, whipping cream, water, butter,onion, salt, pepper and Season All. At the last minute I added shredded cheddar cheese. It was nice. I need to figure out how to thicken it without flour ... perhaps guar gum. Also need a tad more seasonings unless I add more cheese.

Any ideas how to perk up the above recipe? :confused:

Norma June
Mon, Aug-20-01, 07:48
Oops, I forgot to mention that I told DH that your posting called for radishes rather than turnip and he said he thought radish might have too strong a taste for that recipe ... does it?

ciao, NJ

Sharon
Mon, Aug-20-01, 08:23
I've tried both radish and turnip in Doreen's recipe...and like them both...the turnip is sweeter tasting, but higher in carbs too. The radish looks more like "high carb hash browns".

I like your scalloped potato idea...thinking about some crushed pork rinds on top too!!

doreen T
Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:25
Just a reminder ... turnip means the small white and purple ones, that are unwaxed (and more expensive). Many folks (including my family) think of rutabaga, which is the larger, yellow and purple one, which comes coated in wax. These have a lot more carbs than their smaller cousins.

For the record, I've found that daikon (the large long white oriental radish) as well as the regular red radishes ... have the mildest taste, but the turnip ones I love too. Rachel's idea to add a few crunched-up pork rinds is terrific, and that's how I usually make them now.

Doreen

Norma June
Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:50
Doreen I did use the small white/purple turnip.

Are daikon available in most supermarkets? I've never noticed them. You said they're long ... any other description? :)

Are the long, white oriental radishes called daikon or is it something else?

As for the regular red radish ... would you use large or small ones? And you say they're not really strong tasting ... ?

doreen T
Mon, Aug-20-01, 10:03
Daikon is also called long white radish, lo bok, and oriental radish. Here in Kingston, I've seen it pretty much everywhere. They are big, often weighing at least a pound. I posted a picture of it before ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=97953&t=7089#post97953 ... I'm sure as soon as you see the pic, you'll recognise it right away... :)

Radishes and turnips are cousins from the same family ... and both turn mild and sweet when cooked, especially when sautéed in fat. Yummm ...

Daikon is wonderful, I love it raw, sliced into thin disks .. it stays crunchy, and makes a perfect lowcarb cracker to park some cream cheese and smoked salmon or other canapé toppings. When cooked, it turns sweet, you can purée it to make fauxtatoes, or if you cut it into thin matchsticks, it's perfect in a stir-fry.

Enjoy! :)

Doreen

IslandGirl
Mon, Aug-20-01, 10:59
Why is it that Turnip sounds so, so, hmmmmm, inelegant?? LOL

Norma June, I was thinking that adding more pepper (ground white pepper) and cutting down the amount of water would help your recipe get thicker. A family recipe tip (Dutch, don't ya know) for seasoning all vegetables is a touch of nutmeg or 2 touches of mace. It's yummy and you might want to try that, too.

The Cream of Celery soup comes with its own built in starch thickener because it doesn't use real naturally thick cream. So when substituting for a "Cream of...", use real cream and skip the water and the starch both, so to speak.

Hope this helps some!

Norma June
Mon, Aug-20-01, 13:51
Thanks guys, and thanks Doreen for the picture, that really helps.

Thanks Island Girl for your suggestion for adding either mace or nutmeg, I'll try that.

Funny ... but I don't even think about potatoes anymore and it's been a year now that I've been doing LC.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you could slice the daikon up for mock french fries and brown them in the oven or deep fry them? Perhaps even add some Cajun seasonings? I've heard that you can do that with that weird thing called jicama or something. Anyone ever tried that?

tamarian
Mon, Aug-20-01, 14:23
I tried the daikon and the turnips for hashbrowns and they were really good. Goes well with eggs for breakfast.

Wa'il

IslandGirl
Mon, Aug-20-01, 17:26
... Provencial style...

Yes, NJ, I've been making oven fries out of turnip, rutabaga (sometimes), daikon and jicama, for some time now. The daikon and the jicama keep the most chewy texture, the turnip and rutabaga get much softer. They're all tasty.

I "fry-cut" 'em (enough for a single layer on a cookie or roll tray), dry them off, sprinkle with plenty of ground black pepper and sea salt, and finely chopped rosemary, then toss with a few Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Bake them for 15-25 minutes at 400F (watch for burning edges). GREAT with sugarfree un-Ketchup from Westbrae.

LOL! Sounds like I make this every day. Actually, fairly rare and usually when the DH has an uncontrollable hankering for the dreaded French Fry.

Norma June
Mon, Aug-20-01, 20:07
Thanks Judi, I'll try that. I used to do the Opra fries (from Opra's cook Rosie's book .. In The Kitchen With Rosie). They called for potato cut into fries and dipped in beaten egg mixture that has cajun seasonings in it. You baked it on a sprayed cookie sheet.

Do you think the beaten egg & cajun flavouring would work with the jicama or turnip? Might be worth a try.

beffie
Mon, Oct-22-01, 19:54
:confused: hi,
i'm new to the low carb,so can someone tell me what is daikon? i would really like to try that reciepe but i don't know what that is. HELP!!!!! :hyper:

Sharon
Mon, Oct-22-01, 20:12
Did you read the entire thread? Doreen gave a link, (just a few posts back) which includes a picture to help you.

Please check back on the thread and if you still don't know, let us know.

I'm sure you must have just missed it.

donnaj
Fri, Dec-28-01, 19:23
I can't wait until I get off induction to try the hash brown. I was wondering if there something I can make while on induction to satisfy craving for potatoes. Thanks.
Donna

doreen T
Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:19
The hashbrowns would be fine to have during Induction if you used green onion (scallion) instead of the regular sweet onion (less carbs). The original recipe that I posted called for radishes, the red and white jobbies :) .. and later on daikon radish was suggested (these are long white radishes, sometimes called lo bok or Oriental radish) ... both types of radish are very low carb and are permitted during Induction. The addition of the crushed pork rinds is quite yummy, and adds zero carbs.

There are several recipes floating around for faux "mashed potatoes" using cauliflower or turnip. Check these out: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=22626

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=27322

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=335

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=22075

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=5521

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=377I'm sure you'll find some great ideas in at least one of those threads :)

Doreen

donnaj
Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:57
I will try these links out. I really appreciate the help. :)

chrisews
Sat, Dec-29-01, 21:31
Wow, these recipes sond great, I've just been doing without, and eating my veggies plain, these sound great. thanks to all. Chris :wave:

mariah974
Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:32
hi and thanks for the great ideas using radishes and turnips. i make a "mock potato salad" with rutabaga, actually like it better than potato salad. use all the same ingredients you use with potatoes, yummy.

also, for that little bit of extra with breakfast, i like a roll recipe that dr. atkins had in his very first diet revolution book. haven't seen it in any of his newer publications.

the recipe:

separate 3 eggs and beat the whites until stiff but not dry. i use a bit of cream of tartar. stir the egg yolks, add 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese to them, along with a little salt if you like. you can also add minced onion here for using in hamburgers or other sandwiches. a little splenda is ok too. fold the egg yolk mixture gently into the whites, being careful not to break down the whites. spoon into little piles on a greased baking sheet and bake at 300 Degrees for around 40 minutes. the piles will flatten out, giving you hamburger bun sized rolls. remove from pan while still warm. i store mine in baggies in the fridge.

great for base for eggs benedict, have a real sandwich for lunch, dip in egg and have french toast even.

i like atkins baking mix for crepes and pancakes, have you tried it?
also, atkins has lots of syrups as i'm sure you are aware.

keep those ideas flowing. love the variety it gives my food plan.

Sharon
Sat, Jan-05-02, 21:48
You might like to check out our own Doreen's version of the Revolution Rolls.

She spent some time and really perfected the recipe.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.html

donnaj
Sun, Jan-06-02, 10:28
Sharon, I looked at Dooreen recipe. Where can I buy wheat glutten? I have looked in my area and I can't find it. :confused:

Sharon
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:15
In Canada we can find Wheat Gluten flour at the "Bulk Barn".
There are different brands, one is Bob's Red Mill, but there are others. Some call it gluten flour, also vital wheat gluten. What you look for on the label is specifically that it is 75 to 80% protein. That is what you want. I know that Bob's Red Mill flour is available in the States, because they have a website. I was able to get our local IGA to order Bob's Red Mill in for me.

I also remembered Doreen has another version of her buns which I like even better.

I would suggest you try this one. It's my favourite. In the thread is also information I added to make a Danish Type Roll. It's pretty good too!!

Doreen's Multi-Grain Revolution Buns

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=529

bellablue
Sun, Jan-27-02, 09:12
I have to tell ya these mock hash browns made with radishes are worth trying. These are REALLY good. Now that I've reread the recipe I will add the onion and the thyme next time. One small bunch of radishes didn't quite make enough so I added one small turnip. I got my food processor for Christmas and boy, it's been a life saver as so much needs to be shredded (especially the faux/mock items). Terrific recipe!!! I actually would have guessed them to be hash browns if I didn't already know they were radishes with a hint of turnip~~bella :spin:

chrisews
Sun, Jan-27-02, 20:47
I tried this with 2 white turnips, Panfried with green onions, Ididn't have enough for myself , because my whole family loved them, and really they taste like home fries. Thank you.! This and the mock danish is keeping me going. Chris :wave:

mariah974
Tue, Jan-29-02, 17:21
hi bellablue,

thanks for the posts. i am at a new place now. my husband passed away sunday in the wee hours, peacefully. the relief subdues the grief, at least right now. he suffered so for a few months. i got through by nurturing myself with food and now i don't have to do that anymore.

it helps to hear the thoughts you and others have re: food and eating. i really feel as if the desire to fix things with eating behavior is gone now and knowing there are low-carb comfort foods available should i feel the need for that behavior is so helpful.

one of my favorite things used to be potato salad. i found a recipe that substitutes rutabaga for the potato and it's delicious. i haven't tried "home-frying" rutabaga, but now i surely will, as having those little tidbits along with eggs and meat just really fills out a meal.

just let's remember odat [o(ne)d(ay)a(t)at(ime)] and we can do anything! :spin:

donnaj
Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:04
Mariah, Welcome and I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are doing okay. My prayers are with you and yours.
My favorite things in the world is potato salad. Could you send your recipe for me. I would love to try it. :wave:

mariah974
Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:21
hi donna,

thank you for your condolences. my husband suffered a long time and i'm glad he's at rest now. i know that we'll always miss him, but he was a wonderful presence in our lives and we are blessed for knowing him.

as for the potato salad, i seem to make it differently every time. depending on what veggies i have on hand to put in. i like it with chopped boiled eggs, radishes sliced, celery and onion, some dill pickles chopped fine, and of course mayo, (duke, sugar free brand) just boil the rutabaga after peeling it, and dicing it. when it's tender, drain, cool and add your fav. stuff. i think the rutabaga flavor is even better than potato and it's low carb. check you carb counter to be sure you don't overeat on it, tho. i can't remember and am too tired to look it up right now. sorry.

i so appreciate the locarb woe.

good night. thanks again for writing. :wave:

razzle
Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:06
tried this today for the first times w/ turnips and a slice of white onion, pepper, salt...it'd be hard to tell these from "real" hash browns! They're a touch sweeter...yum. :)

I really like raw turnips too--great on a crudite plate

bellablue
Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:19
Mariah, so sorry for your loss! You'll be ok and it will just take time. Be sure and be kind to yourself.<p> One of the comfort foods that is low carb that I have been indulging in is sugar free mousse made with tofu. I know this isn't the proper place to put the recipe as it doesn't fit with the thread. About the rutabegas--I haven't tried them yet but will in the potato salad. Sounds delicious! And I have recently been using the Daikon radish for the hash browns. It's alot easier to handle than shredded all those little radishes in the food processor. And it's quite good. Even the cat is tricked and thinks it's hash browns. He's my discriminating critic. :wave:

Atrsy
Fri, Apr-05-02, 19:42
I shredded mine with the coarse side of the grater (about a cup) and then I browned them in olive oil. When they were about done, I pushed them to one side and then I fried 3 eggs sunny side up and when the eggs were about done, I just stired it all together. It was absolutely delicious! :)

Thanks Doreen for the tip about the daikon. I never even looked at them before. Never knew they were this good!

MaryAnn
Sat, Jun-08-02, 10:57
I tried the hash browns with Daikon radish and it was very bitter. Is this a characteristic of the Daikon or did I just get a bad one? I know absolutely nothing about this kind of radish but thought I would give it a try. I can tell where it would be a great recipe, all the other flavors were fantastic.

froedrich
Sun, Jun-09-02, 03:20
I have tried this a few times, and have noticed a slightly sweet taste, actually. I would guess it was the particular Daikon that you used. I prepare them much like Atrsy does. I would like to have them a bit crisper, but find them a treat none the less!

chrish
Sun, Aug-04-02, 16:10
I tried this with Daikon and I'm surprised how decent this is. Its got a little bit of spicy flavor to it, but it is very similar to a potato hash brown. I grated a bit, ground a little pepper, cooked it with an some onion pieces and a little salt. not bad!

chrish
Sun, Aug-04-02, 16:34
...And not bad with a turnip either! I'm suitably impressed. As long as you season them, I doubt a lot of people could tell the difference from a real potato. Without seasoning, there would be something 'funny', but when you salt and pepper them it works.

cool!

Cream
Thu, Dec-05-02, 05:44
Just adding my complete approval of this recipe.

This is how I did mine:

Daikon radish
spring onion
parmesan cheese
egg
seasonings

Made little pattes and fried them. The egg helped to keep their form and I think the parmesan burns nicely and adds this crunchy yumminess on top of everything else.

Goes straight to my favorites.
Thank you!

karich
Wed, Dec-18-02, 08:50
Made this last night, with just turnips,
oil and butter (didn't have bacon grease!)
and lots of pepper. Very good! I added a
crushed up pork rind for the crunch like
some one suggested. We all enjoyed them. Almost as good as fried potatoes.

Want to try the way Cream just posted too, sounds yummy.

Kara

sue222
Mon, Jan-13-03, 02:43
I made these this weekend using a mixture of 2/3 radishes and 1/3 turnips. I added green onion toward the end of cooking and then sprinkled grated swiss cheese and crisp crumbled bacon on the top.

They weren’t hash brown, but wonderful anyway!

I have been a lurker for months, but I just had to add my 2 cents to this thread!

Thanks so much for all the great recipes!

chrisews
Tue, Jan-14-03, 18:07
For a lurker, Sue, you are doing great, look at theat weight loss, how long have you been lo carbing? anyway, congratulations, and yes, those mock hash browns are delish. Have you tried the mock danish? chris

sue222
Thu, Jan-23-03, 06:37
Thanks for the kind words Chris!

I have been doing Atkins since May of last year. I have found this site to be a wonderful, helpful resource for me. So many of the recipes found here are now staples in my home, including the Mock Danish!

When I made up the radish hash browns I though that they might make a good side dish for a Chinese meal, as the soft noodle part of a chow mien dish.

I did them this time in a wok. I started with hot Sesame oil, added minced ginger, garlic and the white part of a few green onions.

I then added the grated radishes and cooked until browned. I threw in some bean sprouts, a packet of splenda and some soy sauce.

I used a tiny bit of guar gum (less then 1/8 tsp) to thicken the sauce. I sprinkled the green top of the green onions over the top of the dish just before serving.

They were very good as a side dish with teriyaki pork and garlic ginger scallops and nobody seemed to miss the rice!

chrisews
Thu, Jan-23-03, 07:37
wow, sue, that sounds so delish, You are really quite the experimenter. That's whay you're being successful. I'm sure by this time you must know about some of the wonderful recipes that are available on this site. go to recipes, Karen, a member who is a chef in Vancouver posts lots of her recipes, and they are amazing. chris

nicksmom
Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:50
These are SO good. Even my WW friends eat these! I have only used the daikon and it comes out great. Going to try as home fries next! LOL :thup:

doreen T
Mon, Jun-02-03, 08:05
I know everyone who's tried this recipe has loved it, so I hope new readers will be inspired.

Just wanted to say that the original recipe using ordinary RED radishes works perfectly ... the radishes turn very mild and slightly sweet when cooked. They lose their bright red and become golden ... which really gives the appearance of fried russet potatoes.

So .. please don't deny yourself the pleasure of this delightful recipe just because you can't find daikon or small white turnips. Ordinary red radishes are delicious!!!

:yum:

Doreen

MTEcho
Tue, Jun-17-03, 20:49
:thup: Well, I used the red radishes and I think I'm in love. The first time I used turnip and it wasn't nearly so good. By the time I finished them I was on the phone to my mom, also a LCer, to tell her how yummy.

Wonderful!!!!! Thanks Doreen!

Echo

doreen T
Wed, Jun-18-03, 15:17
Glad you liked 'em.

I just bought a nice big bunch of fat red radishes; think I'll make these for breakfast tomorrow :yum:

Doreen

Marvin L
Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:34
I was reading through all these posting using radishes, Daikon, and Jicama. I was wondering if anyone has tried rutabaga for the hash browns. I have used rutabaga for making potato salad and it is wonderful. Just this evening I sliced up a rutabaga like thin french fries and fried it in vegetable oil season with Lowery seasoning salt and they were fantastic. All as good as any potato. I would like to hear your comments on this.
Marv :yay:

chrisews
Sun, Jul-13-03, 18:54
Marvin, If by rutabega you mean turnips, the lovely white and purple ones, yes, I have done the hash browns using turnips, with green onion I have fried them in oil, WONDERFUL It makes you think you've eaten actual hash browns, or home fries, actually. glad to have ypu aboard. chris

Marvin L
Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:48
Chris, No a rutabaga is not the same as a turnip. Its flesh is a light orange color and it has a sweeter tast than a turnip. It is a tuberous vegi and when you purchase them they are usually coated with a wax to help hold the mositure in. They are quite ugly but I have found them to be about the best tasting substiture for potatoes.
Hope you can find them and give them a try.
Marv

chrisews
Wed, Jul-16-03, 07:58
thanks Marvin, I will look for them. I'm alittle afraid of root veggies though. you're sure it's a lo carb one? thanks, chris

doreen T
Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:09
Rutabaga is a bit higher in carbs than the small white and purple turnips .. hence its sweeter taste ;)

From our carb counter tool (http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_counter.html): 100g raw rutabaga ... 8.13g carbs, 2.5g fiber ... 5.63g net carbs

100g raw turnip ... 6.23g carbs, 1.8g fiber ... 4.43g net carbs100g raw will yield roughly ½ cup cooked.

hth,

Doreen

Jeepgirl74
Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:55
Bumping this up to say how fabulous these were! I tried them last night and they were great! Thanks for the tip! :)

chrisews
Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:29
You know, it's such a pain to cut up the turnip, so I tried frozen turnips, Not the ones that are mashed and have a bunch of carbs, but the ones that are dices in a big bag. Well, I threw in onion, and peppers and olive oil, and fried them up til they were nice and brown, Let me tell you, it was every bit as good as the fresh, It was easy for me too, because I was doing the same thing for my DH with some leftover roasted Potatoes, so I just kept at it till both pans were done. Really makes you feel like you're having something forbidden, and so easy. chris

Ryssa
Fri, Aug-15-03, 21:32
new to radishes, so a quick question, do need to peel them or anything or just dice them up? i feel so silly asking :lol: but ive never prepared radishes before

i cant wait to try this

thanks

Jeepgirl74
Sat, Aug-16-03, 09:29
I didn't peel them -- I just made sure they were washed and cut of any parts that looked damaged.

itsalguod
Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:11
[/COLOR][/FONT]I just want to say thank you to all of you who are creative. I would have no clue how to make this stuff up. I do want to try the potatoe salad..I found one they make in stores that is like baked potatoes. sour cream onions and bacon bits. I am having a pot luck on Sunday and just may try to fix it. I tend to get a bit bored with the regular chicken and burger routine. Glad to find tons more recipes.. again thanx to you all.[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]

shefishes
Thu, Oct-16-03, 06:32
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and was scanning for breakfast ideas and saw the radish recipe. Ran to the store, bought some radishes, and made them with scallions. They were awesome! Thanks for the recipe.

Sue

205/175/140

el corazón
Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:18
I use radishes, wash em up, throw them in the food processor til theyre teeny, like rice, spray a pan with PAM butter spray, cook em for awhile, add in some crushed up pork rinds and eat it with salt and pepper. SOOOO good! I looove radishes! Im getting ready to plant some soon.

Tedmom
Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:47
Thank you for coming up with this recipe! Made the daikon hash browns this a.m. with fresh rosemary and a little garlic. I'm in potato-less heaven! Julie.

di52
Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:26
Debbie's thinking of Thank Heaven for Little Girls" by MC

MsDad
Wed, Oct-29-03, 05:52
I've never been a huge fan of raw radishes, and i'd never heard of cooking them. But I've been reading everyone rave about these hash browns, so I've got to try them. I've got a question about the turnips though and wonder if, since they're a radish cousin, if this may apply. Any time I've ever eaten turnips, they have given me very nasty stomach cramps (which is a shame because I really do like them). Has anyone else ever had this issue, and what's the chance the radishes will too??

MsDad
Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:30
Omigod! I made the radish version this morning (in fact, I'm eating as I type) - these are incredible!! :hyper: Of all the carbs out there, potatoes are by far my favorite. I could live off them for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. I didn't think there was any way possible to make anything taste as good as a potato. I was wrong! These are unbelievable!! YUMMM!! :yum: The only thing I'll change next time is to let the radishes start to soften a bit before I add the onion. It seems to take them longer to cook. I may even parboil them before I dice them. Either way, whoever came up with this recipe deserves a medal!!

doreen T
Mon, Nov-03-03, 22:27
....I've got a question about the turnips though and wonder if, since they're a radish cousin, if this may apply. Any time I've ever eaten turnips, they have given me very nasty stomach cramps (which is a shame because I really do like them). Has anyone else ever had this issue, and what's the chance the radishes will too??Hi! Sorry I didn't see your post sooner .. but hopefully you've had your question answered about the radishes. When radishes are cooked, they lose their "bite" and I think they're less gassy than turnips because they're less carby.

Anyway, glad you liked these and now it's reminding me I haven't had 'em in a while :yum:

Doreen

jesdorka
Thu, Nov-13-03, 12:17
just finished reading this thread from the beginning to end and copied and pasted all the recipes to my LC recipe file--thanks to everyone for all the great ideas, going to start trying them starting this weekend
jes

MsDad
Thu, Nov-13-03, 13:18
OK, I took the radish hash brown thing to a new level. My family loves pot roast...potatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions, potatoes, gravy, potatoes...did I mention potatoes?? Well, I made a pot roast in my crock pot. Normally I would flour the roast and brown it in oil, then add all the other ingredients. Instead, I put the beef in raw, added a few potatoes for the non-LCers in the family, carrots, onions, garlic, canned beef broth and a lb of radishes! WOW! The radishes were better than the potatoes have ever been!! Prep was a little tedious because I peeled the radishes so as to not have pink gravy! But it was well worth it. Now I just need some suggestions to thicken the gravy without using flour or corn starch. Any ideas out there?

Tedmom
Thu, Nov-13-03, 14:50
Now I just need some suggestions to thicken the gravy without using flour or corn starch. Any ideas out there?

Expert Food's Thickener works really well in pot roast. I just add a teaspoon or so at the beginning and that's usually all I need to thicken the gravy. You can also add more at the end if it is not thick enough. HTH