PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Delicious Dessert

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

froedrich
Sat, May-11-02, 09:36
Admittedly I am no chef, and don't know exactly how to classify this recipe. All I know is that I have to practically padlock the refrigerator to keep everyone away from "my" LC snack:

2 one pound tubs of Philadelphia cream cheese spread;
1 cup sour cream;
1 cup Cool Whip;
up to 1/4 cup lemon juice;
vanilla and artificial sweetner to taste.

Whip it all up with a mixer and refirgerate for a couple of hours, or eat right away, depending on how badly you want the stuff.

With the addition of the Cool Whip, the mixture increases in volume when you beat it, so I haven't any idea what the actual carb count per tablespoon would be, though no ingredient exceeds 1 carb per tablespoon. I have varied the portions of cream cheese, sour cream, and Cool Whip with good results, as the recipe has proven to be very forgiving of experimentation. I would imagine you could add practically any flavoring in place of the lemon juice.

Originally, I was trying to come up with a low-carb immitation of a simple lemon frosting my mother made which was a favorite when I was a kid, consisting of butter, lemon juice and powdered sugar.

CHRIS BRAY
Thu, May-16-02, 05:45
DO YOU KNOW THE EQUIVALENT OF COOLWHIP IN THE UK?
IT'S SO FRUSTRATING NOT BEING ABLE TO COPY THESE RECEPIES. (AND NOT BEING ABLE TO SPELL)

:roll:

froedrich
Thu, May-16-02, 06:40
Hello Chris,

Though I do not have a tub in front of me, Cool Whip is considered a "non-dairy whipped desert topping" that comes in several sizes, and is found in the frozen food section. To use it, you would let it thaw for a while in the refrigerator, then use it like whipped cream. There are several brands here of whipped dessert topping, with Cool Whip being the most widely marketed. I always read the label, and pick the one with the least carbs.

I do not know if regular whipping cream would stand the amount of beating I usually give the mixture in preparing this, before beginning to break down. I count on the increase in volume created to make more with less total carbs per serving, and give it quite a thrashing.

froedrich

CHRIS BRAY
Fri, May-17-02, 09:16
Thanks Froedrich,
I'll give it a whirl :idea: ( LOL no pun intended).....

dawnb
Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:44
this sounds delicious.

how much do you consider a serving? or is it one of those ymmv things?

how long will it last? as in, before it goes bad. it seems like it would make a lot and i'd be the only one eating it.

thanks!

dawn

froedrich
Tue, Jul-23-02, 20:45
Dawn,

Serving size varies widely, and I suppose would definitely fall into the "yummy" category. You could restrict yourself to about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup, perhaps as topping with some sugar-free jello. I've found that too often it winds up being 1/2 to a full cup (or more), and forget the jello! I've never had it knock me out of ketosis though, so I am not sure how much "too much" would be.

As far as to how long it keeps, I've kept it for up to 4 - 5 days, but it somehow disappears before aging any longer! You could try smaller batches, and experiment with serving sizes.

Just talking about it reminds me that it has been a while since I've had this, and will go out tomorrow and gather up some fixin's!

Enjoy!