PDA

View Full Version : ketosis...??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gabku
Thu, Apr-12-12, 17:47
how do you know when your body is in ketosis?

KariAnna
Thu, Apr-12-12, 18:41
you can purchase ketosis (keotone strips) strips at the pharmacy

I know when I am in ketosis, when I get a strange white film on my tongue and foul breath. My mouth will have a metallic taste. My appetite decreases and urination increases

KariaAnna

FairyWren
Fri, Apr-13-12, 04:49
I have a metallic taste in my mouth, plus i always feel cold when i'm in ketosis, add to that the lack of hunger.

I've never used the Ketostix.

Hope this helps :)

PilotGal
Fri, Apr-13-12, 04:59
I have a metallic taste in my mouth, plus i always feel cold when i'm in ketosis, add to that the lack of hunger.

this.
forget the sticks. they are useless.

PlayfulTip
Fri, Apr-13-12, 09:24
I am showing that I am in moderate ketosis according the the strips but I don't feel cold or have a metallic taste in my mouth. Any reason why? I am also still hungry. I am brand new to the low carb lifestyle so I am enjoying reading everyone's posts here! :)

MandalayVA
Fri, Apr-13-12, 10:00
I am showing that I am in moderate ketosis according the the strips but I don't feel cold or have a metallic taste in my mouth. Any reason why? I am also still hungry. I am brand new to the low carb lifestyle so I am enjoying reading everyone's posts here! :)

That's why the sticks are useless. On another low-carb site there was a woman who was stalled for a solid YEAR ... and yet her sticks were a nice dark purple every day. I know I don't get the metallic taste, but I do get chilly (actually I am right now :D).

Kirsteen
Fri, Apr-13-12, 10:38
I am showing that I am in moderate ketosis according the the strips but I don't feel cold or have a metallic taste in my mouth. Any reason why? I am also still hungry. I am brand new to the low carb lifestyle so I am enjoying reading everyone's posts here!

The strips just show that you are burning fat, but that fat could be your dietary fat.

If you're eating adequate calories and controlling blood sugar by carb restriction, you shouldn't really feel hungry between meals.

The most likely culprits for pushing you out of ketosis are obvious cheats in the last day or two, bought prepared foods which contain hidden carbs, caffeine and not paying sufficient attention to Dr. Atkins' induction eating plan and his lists. You can't go far wrong with Atkins induction.

LoriJ1782
Tue, Apr-24-12, 05:53
I'm curious, if i do a clean induction is there a typical time frame for when I should go into ketosis?

sexym2
Tue, Apr-24-12, 06:17
Average is 48 hours to get into ketosis. If you work out, I'm talking hour cardio and full body strength training, you can get into ketosis quicker. I prefer to get into ketosis quicker, I dont feel that I get as much in cravings.

The ketone sticks show that your in ketosis, but its not going to show you if your burning your fat. Not all people show ketones in there urine.

Today is my 3rd day back on induction, I used my ketone stix and it was pink. My mouth tastes funny, I've never called it metalic though. Oh and I pee a lot right now ;)

LoriJ1782
Tue, Apr-24-12, 06:20
Average is 48 hours to get into ketosis. If you work out, I'm talking hour cardio and full body strength training, you can get into ketosis quicker. I prefer to get into ketosis quicker, I dont feel that I get as much in cravings.

The ketone sticks show that your in ketosis, but its not going to show you if your burning your fat. Not all people show ketones in there urine.

Today is my 3rd day back on induction, I used my ketone stix and it was pink. My mouth tastes funny, I've never called it metalic though. Oh and I pee a lot right now ;)

Thanks so much! I have the sticks but in the past I've never moved on more than "slight" ketones in my urine. I've restarted on induction to get the scale moving and am looking forward to testing again in a few days :)

mviesprite
Tue, Apr-24-12, 19:27
You know I learned about ketosis from you Atkins people - I was wondering what the deal was because I have had the metallic taste in my mouth and I was blaming it on the last dental drama I went thru...and my body temperature has gone back to "normal" meaning what a revelation to be cold!
Kat

Kirsteen
Tue, Apr-24-12, 19:28
Ketosis is great! The best way to be for me. :D

sexym2
Wed, Apr-25-12, 06:12
I don't know what a "metalic" taste is, I know my mouth tastes funny though. I've never chewed on a metal of mtal to know the taste :lol: But, thats what everyone describes it to be. I think its a clean taste and feeling. Usually my saliva is thick and tastest different, this to me is clean and not thick. I think today is day 4 of induction for me (again), I've got some serious withdrawls and am soo tired.

Cabezuedo
Wed, Apr-25-12, 06:55
When it kicks in it can be a bit of a rush. Things seem to move more quickly. More energy seems available.

I've used the sticks and they seem to work for me. Nothing the first day or two after induction, then varying in color depending on how faithfully to the plan I've been eating. I have heard that the only ketostix that really work well at moderate levels of ketosis are the pharma-grade ones that cost like $17 for the bottle, and those are the ones I use. The cheaper ones aren't as sensitive at low concentrations, I hear.

My GF doesn't seem to think my breath stinks, though maybe she will tolerate anything just to get me to lose weight. :-)

sexym2
Wed, Apr-25-12, 13:06
My BF doesn't say anything about my breat, still kisses me. Maybe some mind it and other don't? I've heard of people having issues over there breath.

Roni917
Sat, Jun-09-12, 16:14
how long can one be in Ketosis and do you come in and out frequently or is this occurring only during induction? Is it healthy to stay in Ketosis?

aj_cohn
Sat, Jun-09-12, 17:21
how long can one be in Ketosis

For the rest of your life, as long as your body is using fat for its dominant fuel

...do you come in and out frequently or is this occurring only during induction?

You stay in ketosis as long as your body is using fat for its dominant fuel. The goal is to be in ketosis all the time.

Is it healthy to stay in Ketosis?

Very much so. It was the natural state of human beings prior to the industrial food era.

fitfuture
Sun, Jun-10-12, 03:17
Mine are mostly beige now. As soon as i went onto owl the sticks stay beige.Im not losing but im not gaining either. When i was doing induction and very strict the sticks were purple so they registered for me. I got the not so nice breath and the metallic taste in my mouth while in ketosis.

aj_cohn
Sun, Jun-10-12, 13:46
If the sticks aren't turning any color, it likely means your body's gotten efficient at using ketones for energy, so none are spilling into your urine for you to measure. That is great news, as is your 31-lb loss! Common experience I've read in this forum is that people might have to reduce calories a bit (5–10%) in order to reach maintenance weight. OTOH, your body might have decided that for now, you are at your goal weight.

fitfuture
Mon, Jun-11-12, 20:38
Thanks for the advice aj. I think i might start looking at my overall calorie consumption to get those last few pounds off.