PDA

View Full Version : buddy to discuss weight loss and exercise

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jennifer 1
Fri, May-10-02, 10:04
Looking for a buddy to discuss diet, exercise and overall weightloss information. Have lost 10 lbs and need to loose 7-10 more. have been on Atkins since January of 2002 (new years resolution) Lost 10 on induction and have lost a lb or to here or there and then put it back on. So still where I was after induction (after several months on this WOL) Need a buddy bad......I am 26 years old.

J. Missy
Fri, May-10-02, 10:23
Hey, in response to your buddy request. I am interested in getting a buddy. I am also on Atkins since May 11, 2002 and have 10# to lose. I am not sure what the buddy system does or how it works. Do you know. I would like to know before I commit to something.

jennifer 1
Fri, May-10-02, 10:34
Ok so I may sound like an idiot but I am not so sure myself....I just stumbled in here and thought hey why dont i try to find someone to buddy up with and discuss issues that I am having.....but i think the idea is that we fill out journals (with I guess what we eat and share and compare them.....OK since I should have known this before i posted, let me do some research. find out what this is all about and then I will let you know and we can decide what we want to do :wave:

TeriDoodle
Fri, May-10-02, 10:52
I "belong" to a thread called "140 anyone?" .... and it started just like this one probaby will. My goal is 140 and while browsing the boards one day I stumbled upon it and it has turned into a small support group of about 6-8 of us who check in regularly and give each other support, talk about current issues we're dealing with, or just chatting about not-much-of-anything. I have "subscribed" to this thread and whenever someone has posted there I am notified by email....but I check in daily anyway!

Starting a journal is something a bit different....and the same. It is a place where you can post your daily intake, food counts, random thoughts, etc. Recently it proved valuable to me when I wanted to go back and average my daily calories/fat/protein/carbs for a certain period. Boy, was I glad the information was handy!! Once in a while friends drop in to say hello, offer encouragement, or just see how you're doing. Mentors refer to the information when you've asked a specific question on another board like, "do you think my carb count is too high?"....they can look at your journal and analyze what's there.

Don't worry....regular posting on the board will be education enough. You'll figure out how it works and make it work for you! It's a wonderful place chuck FULL of information, friendship and support!

Good luck!!!

J. Missy
Fri, May-10-02, 17:07
Jennifer, I think we can try this and if it does not work we can do something different. I am in if you are. Let me know.

J. Missy
Sat, May-11-02, 06:21
I just noticed that I put May 11 as a start date and it is supposed to read, April 11

jennifer 1
Sat, May-11-02, 07:44
I am in as well. Today I am very frustrated with this diet. I lost the weight during induction and have stopped loosing since, that was back in January. Now granted I probably have not been totally consumed with counting carbs, but i know that i have had no more than 30 a day. since induction I will loose a pound gain it back etc.....and while I love this WOL, i just get real frustrated. Now I do not get cravings at all anymore...it is more like something will still look good to me (bread, pizza, cake, etc.. but I still have no desire to eat it). I guess that is a start. Ok so here is what I have done. Since wed. of this week I cut down my cheese and splenda consumption and I am patiently waiting to see if that helps. Considering it is my TOM, I probably will not notice until that is over. I also switched my workout, from TAE-BO to walking up hills...so we shall see

J. Missy
Sat, May-11-02, 07:55
Jennifer, how much Splenda were you using? I have been using Stevia b/c it has no carbs and no calories. I know it is discouraging and I have been through the same thing however I am losing very slowly now. I realized my calorie amount was too high so I have been sort of watching that. Don't give up it will happen! As far as workout goes, do you do any weight training. That has helped me tremendously with changing shape, tone, and I feel fat loss. I feel like some of my lack of weight loss was due to increased muscle. You can do this. Just remember you can always go back to your old way if this does not work, but give it time. Talk to you soon. Missy

jennifer 1
Sat, May-11-02, 11:13
You are so right about the weights....I have tried them but always quit b/c i have a tendency to build a lot of muscle and then I think I look to bulky....I know it sounds sill but it is true for me. As far as the splenda goes i guess i was using too much b/cv I can already see a difference in just a few days. Thanks for the supprot I am definately not going to give up. Where do you get stevia??? is it any good???

J. Missy
Sat, May-11-02, 12:00
Stevia is pretty good, it is better in tea than coffee but I use it in both. Green tea with mint is really good if you have not tried it. Try Celestial Seasonings brand. Stevia should be at any health food store. Regarding the weights and bulking up, I know what you mean I feel the same way. Right now I am using just 10lbs each dumbells and doing lunges and arm stuff, I have a body ball which is great and I do yoga which seems to give a leaner look and really helps your posture. It changed totally the way I hold my body and the way my body looks. It is an excellent combo with wt. training. I do a tape by Baron Batiste called Hot Yoga. It is a three tape set with three different levels. I think I got it at Wal Mart. Well we can do this!!

jennifer 1
Sat, May-11-02, 19:14
I have always wanted to do yoga, I will check that tape out. I love to workout at home....so much easier than going to the gym. I will look for the stevia as well. Thanks so much for the tips.

How do you like the yoga......is it like a cardio workout or no. I really need help with my posture it is so bad

J. Missy
Sun, May-12-02, 12:36
Hello, how are you doing? In response to the yoga. I would not consider it yoga but more isometric in nature. You hold postures for lengths of time and use many different muscles just to stay balanced. But it is strenuous in a way yet destressing. It is hard to explain you will just have to try it. I really enjoy having a buddy to chat with about LC and fitness. Well let me go for now will talk to you soon. Missy

J. Missy
Sun, May-12-02, 12:39
I have a typo on the message, I will have to start reading before I send. It should read I would not consider it cardio.

jennifer 1
Mon, May-13-02, 07:22
Thank for the info missy: my sister's name is missy. Anyway I really enjoy having a buddy as well. I figured out what has also been hurting my loss.....chewing gum. I was chewing so much gum (although sugarless) it contains enough carbs, that I think I was underestimating how many I was eating.

I just ate some eggs and bacon it was delicious. This is not as hard for me lately as it has been. Oh and do not worry about the typos i can not spell to save my life!!

Anyway I am a bit nervous as I have a business trip for work and It is very difficult to maintain the diet when you travel. All travelers eat is junk with tons of sugar. I guess i will have to pack some snacks

J. Missy
Mon, May-13-02, 14:46
Hey just checking in, I am doing good today and really feeling good about this as a lifestyle. Snacks you can take on your trip might include pork skins, boiled eggs, cheese sticks, macadamia nuts, cans of tuna. Some people eat vienna sausages but they have starch in them so I am not going there. Regarding the gum chewing, I have really had to cut back with that. I was chewing so much along with many diet drinks. So now it is water, green tea and one to two sf gums per day. I think the only thing I really miss on this diet is fruit and It is hard to imagine summer without watermelon but I will survive!! Well let me go exercise. See ya!

jennifer 1
Mon, May-20-02, 11:38
HEY!! So the trip was not so bad, very low carb friendly meals....fish, meat, etc...so I was ok. I totally agree with you about the gum. I did not have any with me all week and I lost 2 lbs. So I am officially off of the gum.

But what you said about friut. Do not fret. If you go on dr. atkins sight. There is a carb counter and you will find that some good fruits are low in cards (watermelon, strawberries) it is just that you can only eat about 1/4c. which is like nothing. But it is not like you will have to avoid it completely.

Thanks for the advice for ther trip, it worked well,,,, talk to you soon

J. Missy
Mon, May-20-02, 14:32
Hey, glad to hear your trip went well. I am so frustrated with this diet. It seems like all my clothes are tight. It is that time of the month but still I do not feel like I am making progress. At this point I am really watching my calories and fat b/c the more fat I eat the higher the calories go and I think that is something I really have to watch. With only 10lbs. to lose I am of the opinion that calories matter more. Anyway I am about to jump ship and just watch calories and carbs but not all this other stuff. I feel crazy watching sweeteners, gum, diet sodas, etc. I need some advice. Thanks for the help

jennifer 1
Mon, May-20-02, 14:52
OK we are in the same boat. I only have a few to loose as well. I lost weight at induction and then not again for a while. I SWEAR THIS DIET WORKS. Here is what I learned. While I was on vacation I had no gum and more importantly no snacks (no slice of cheese here or there, no few slices of pepparoni here or there.) Just eggs etc for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch, and fish for dinner. I did bring protein bars, and I ate abotu 4 this week as well.. But since I was in a hotel there was not the constant opening of the refridgerator. I saw results for the first time in a while, my clothes felt looser and I felt good. IF IT IS YOUR TOM...........................then forget it of course everything is tight you are retaining water. I am a mess at my tom, nothing fits. But the best advice I got when i started this is see what works for you. Try out different things and see what works. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. I have been on this thing since FEB and I am glad....but I have had days like you ............many of them. You can do IT!!!

J. Missy
Wed, May-22-02, 06:35
Hey, I am frustrated!! I am back to 125 and feel like this is useless. I have posted a thread in general lo carb names Giving up the game. Instead of typing all of it over maybe you can read it. I just do not know what else to do. Thanks for letting me vent.

jennifer 1
Wed, May-22-02, 08:15
I am here to listen I will read it now

J. Missy
Thu, May-23-02, 06:34
Hey just checking in today. I really feel good today. I have finally relaxed in this lc business. I am letting up on the Atkins strictness. I have cut down on the amount of food I am eating but being a little more free with veggies and salad stuff and nutrasweet. I feel much lighter today even though the scale really did not show it. I feel good. I think I am on the right track. Also I layed off the pork skins for some reason they seem to not work for me. Well I will talk to you later. We can do this!!

jennifer 1
Thu, May-23-02, 07:59
I am so glad to hear you are doing well today. I agree with you on the veggies. I was not eating enough of them and I am back to more salad and green veggies....and feeling very good about this. It is not about the scale it is about how you feel primarily and how your clothes fit. I am trough weighing myself!!

Talk Soon Take Care

J. Missy
Wed, May-29-02, 06:03
Hey just checking in. How is it going? I am doing okay not really losing but maintaining. I feel good and I have been good about exercising and feel the difference in my body. I just need to keep tweeking this eating thing. Well let me go get started with the day, talk to you soon.

jennifer 1
Wed, May-29-02, 07:11
THings are going good for me. I took some of the fat out of my diet (in terms of protein) I am eating more fish and chicken. I think it has helped. I have not been on the scale yet so I will let you know......But I feel great. I am glad to hear you are doing good. Another I noticed was those "treats" I was concocting like the sweet pork rinds and the jello with whip cream, brownies. I was trying to make all of tha stuff low carb and I just cut it out of my diet. So i think tha twill help.

Talk soon

J. Missy
Fri, May-31-02, 07:37
Hey, how are you? I am good, have not weighed in lately. I feel good and like I am losing inches and some weight. I have really modified my diet. I drank a shake called Keto Slim yesterday for breakfast, 100 calories and 2 grams carb, added a few strawberries and a few drops of Stevia and it was wonderful!! I have loosened up on the carb thing eating more veggies and watching but not eliminating fat. I feel more balanced and not so obsessed with all this counting, analyzing. I tend to be pretty analytical in general so all that stuff was making me crazy. I have more peace now and am enjoying this. Anyway let me know how you are doing. Thanks for being here. MIssy

jennifer 1
Fri, May-31-02, 08:09
HEy Missy: I have lightened up as well. Eating more fruits and veggies lots of veggies and lean protein. It has helped the way I feel all around as well as cut some of the bacon i was eating (like a pack every 2-3 days) out of my diet. SO i feel great. Glad you are feeling good as well. Thanks for everything. talk soon

J. Missy
Sun, Jun-02-02, 07:48
Hey, just checking in. I am doing good still trying to tweak this WOL. I feel really good right now. What is your plan right now? I feel like we need to set some goals together, what do you think? Let me know. Talk to you later! Missy

jennifer 1
Mon, Jun-03-02, 07:03
Well I am feeling goodas well. Lost 2 lbs. YEAH :) . ANyway I agree lets set some goals. Right now i am doing 30 min. of cardio (5 days /week) and 10 min of toning (3 days a week). I would like to increase my cardio. I also would like to loose 3 lbs by months end. What do you think? What other goals should we try??

I am also a smoker and I am quitting on June 5 that is my start date......so that will be tough, but i am so excited about it.

Let me know what other goals you think we should have

J. Missy
Tue, Jun-04-02, 06:38
Hey, what is up? I got your mail. I think those are good goals. I am exercising but not really keeping track of the number of times I do what, so I began yesterday logging it in a composition. 5 days of cardio sounds good along with weight training which I am shooting for 3 days a week or 3 arm, 2 leg days. We just got the final piece of equipment in our new workout room and it is awesome and should make it easier to get in there and do it. I also think I need to set up a three meal a day and one snack if hungry kind of deal and see how that works for me. I know we need to keep each other accountable with all these goals but not set up too many so that we feel overwhelmed and discouraged. So let start with these and check in daily on each other if possible. Regarding the weight loss I am shooting for keeping my calorie level to about 1500 and see what happens. I am really not comfortable under that amount. How does this all sound? Here we go!!!!!

jennifer 1
Tue, Jun-04-02, 07:00
That sounds fabulous. Ok today yesterday I did 30 min. cardio and 10 of strength training (push-ups, arms, and some squats). Today I did the 30 cardio. I wish I had more time in the morning so that I could increase my cardio I am walking either outside or on a treadmill at an incline. Do you ever feel like there are not enough hours in a day. As for the meals I am doing the same 3 a day and 2 snacks. I read something the other day and I am trying it. I was on this site that was talking about hollywood stars and their routines and it said to take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before you eat (it burns fat) It is so disgusting, but hey it is worth a try. I know it is strange but I will try just about anything.

So how is it going for you??

J. Missy
Wed, Jun-05-02, 06:33
Hey how are you? Got your mail yesterday. I have tried apple cider vinegar and the tablets which are much easier to take, however, I noticed the straight acv did seem to cut my appetite probably b/c it was not too tasty. Anyway, let me know your experience with it. I know it is not the cure all that they say but may help a little. Check carbs if you are watching them closely. Yesterday I did not get a chance to do cardio and just had time for yoga about 10 minutes. That willl have to count for my break day. Tuesday are rough, I work a full day then lead a 12 step group at night so I do not get home until late. Well check in with me and let me know what is happening. Have a great day!!!! Missy

jennifer 1
Wed, Jun-05-02, 12:06
Hey: I think the bad taste on the vinegar is what cuts the appetite as well. I am doing good today. Considering it is my first day with no cigarettes. I am officially quitting. I have been eating good as well and am very happy with us setting goals together.

I think 10 min of exercise is always better than none, so I would count it as a work out day if I were you. I am so proud of us. You know it is weird I have not had any weird cravinds, maybe this is all mind over matter.

J. Missy
Thu, Jun-06-02, 06:40
Good Morning! How are you? I am good. Did my leg workout already and will do cardio after work. Am drinking a chocolate Keto Slim shake now, it is not as good as the vanilla with strawberries in it but it is okay. Still eating low carb and average calorie, feel good but not really losing although I know my shape is changing and I feel good with more energy than when I was doing barely any carbs. It is really nice to have accountability b/c I probably would not be so diligent with my exercise routine. I probably will take off Sundays and Tuesdays as break days. Well let me go get ready for work. Keep me posted on any new breakthroughs that work for you. Missy

jennifer 1
Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:05
I did my cardio this morning but did not do any toning last night, i got sidetracked. I will try to make up for that tonight, but I got stuck going to happy hour with some coworkers so we shall see. I agree with you about the weight. I am weghing the same but I think the displacement of the weight is different (i.e., I think I am starting to look better) I feel great. I have been getting a bit lightheaded as it has been very hot here and I have not been drinking enough water, etc... Last night I had a diet coke. I know i am not supposed to have this, but I needed the caffine (I had a headache and no aspirin) All in all I have also been getting more hungry lately but i think that is due to "T-O-M" do you get hungrier then? Anyway talk soon

J. Missy
Fri, Jun-07-02, 06:20
Good Morning! How are you? I did not get to cardio yesterday just weight trained legs and abs but I am getting ready to go do some cardio after this. Still feeling good about this. About diet coke, I still have one to two per day, sometimes I drink the Diet Rite which has Splenda but other times do the Diet Coke thing. We are making great progress!! Well let me go get this bod moving. Have a great day! Missy

J. Missy
Mon, Jun-10-02, 11:37
Hey, have not touched base in a while. The weekends get so busy. I am doing good yesterday I did eat too much allowed food. But my exercising is going good and feeling good. How are you? Regarding the TOM yes, I am hungrier but find relief in knowing what is going on and I am normal. Just eat more allowed foods. Well talk to you tomorrow. Missy

Twister
Mon, Dec-02-02, 13:48
I am 28 years old. Over the past 2 1/2 years I have put on (gonna be honest) about 40 pounds. I went from 135-140 to almost 180. I am only 5'4". I used to wear size 10-12 jeans and now it's 14-16. I am not only concerned with my appearance but health as well as my marriage! Not that I think I will be dumped or anything but I am ashamed that I let myself go this way. I have officially started the Atkins induction again today. The first time I did the induction I lost 10 pounds. I gained back 15lbs when I quit the diet.

I need someone to buddy up with and support eachother on this. Anyone interested?

We could link up on aol, msn or yahoo instant messenger and keep up with eachother!

I need help ya'll - I absolutely hate the way I look.