PDA

View Full Version : L-Glutamine question.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Doodle
Mon, May-06-02, 06:44
Directions: Stir one (1) heaped teaspoon (4.5g) into 250 ml of water or your favourite beverage one to two times daily. Take one hour before a workout. DO NOT EXCEED STATED DOSE.

I made the print large on that bit because that is the bit confusing me... this seems like very little compared to what I read here... and I have also read to take it AFTER a workout.... what is the deal guys???
Doods. :confused:

Niky Brady
Mon, May-06-02, 14:34
I read at supplementwatch.com (http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=150) that a study was done says Glutamine supplements are well tolerated at levels up to at least 20 grams per day and intakes of as much as 40 grams per day should induce no significant adverse effects outside of mild gastrointestinal discomfort. I personally take about 3 heaped tsp (~15g) per day before and after my workout and before bed. I haven't had any problems so far. I take more when I feel more sore (usually after changing exercises).

Check out that website.

Natrushka
Mon, May-06-02, 19:16
Niky has given you the info on the quantities, the times should be as follow: After your workout and before bed. You want the glutamine to be available to your muscles after you've worked them, when it is needed, so they do not have to draw on other muscles for a supply. Because glutamine is important in the manufacture of human growth hormone, and since this happens while you are sleeping, providing your body with a good dose before you head to bed is the best bet. It also ensures that while you fast overnight there is an abundant supply of glutamine for your muscles.

HTH, Doods
Nat

KarenB
Thu, May-09-02, 19:56
The glutamine supplement I have (the canister's right here in front of me) is a cherry-flavored powder meant to be mixed with 5oz of water. The "dose" is "1 rounded scoop (5.9g)" which contains 2.5g of L-Glutamine, the rest of the stuff being the "base" for lack of a better word.

So, am I to understand that I need to take somewhere around 7-8 scoops of this stuff, in order to get my +/- 15g of glutamine I need per day? The label says take 1 or 2 servings daily....

Why can't this be simple? I like simple...

TeriDoodle
Fri, May-10-02, 09:15
Apparently, yes, you need to take 4-6 scoops per day to get 10-15 g.

Here's what I do.... I buy just the regular, straight glutamine from GNC and I mix 1 heaping tsp. in with my shakes.....along with my flax oil, water and ice. I can't taste it! Or if I'm not having a shake, I just mix it with about 6 oz of Crystal Light. You can even mix it in a bottle of water (that I'm sure you're carrying around with you all day!) and you can just barely taste it....it's not unpleasant, you just know it's there.

That's simple, isn't it?

KarenB
Fri, May-10-02, 17:05
as I said, I couldn't find any of the "plain" glutamine. All they had at my GNC was this odd effervescent cherry-flavored mix. I can't put *that* in a shake, the blender will go through the ceiling! :lol:

I suppose then I'll just have to make MEGA glassfuls of it, to get the 15g.... ::sigh::

Trilbe
Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:42
Hello, all!

I am currently following Protein Power principles (foodwise) and BFL for all else. (Love it!)

I am currently taking BetaGen 3 times per day. From reading this forum, I have realized that BetaGen will not provide enough Glutamine for me. However, I am confused as to what quantity I should be taking. In the book, Bill said that he only takes BetaGen, but I am more interested in what is working for you, my LC brothers and sisters...

Should I be aiming for a total of 15g Glutamine per day? Or 15g Glutamine per serving: 15 g before workout, 15g after workout and 15g before bed.

Thanks!
Trilbe

Natrushka
Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:51
Suggestions on how much glutamine you need vary pretty widely. I tend to use between 10 and 20g a day - depending on how hard I've worked out, how healthy I am feeling and what season it is (we take more during cold and flu seaon).

The best times to take your glutamine are after a workout - to replentish levels and before bed, as glutamine plays a part in the release of HGH (human growth hormone).

HTH
Nat

garbo
Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:02
I know it has probably been answered before, but I cannot find it - what are the effects of glutamine?

My friend said it would make me gain weight and retain water.

I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not, but I'm scared to take anything that might make me gain.

Please help!

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:13
Garbo, sounds like your friend is talking about creatine - which causes muscles to hold on to water, plumping them up. Glutamine will not do this.

You can read all about the uses of glutamine here (http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=150)

HTH
Nat

garbo
Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:17
Thanks so much for your fast response!

You are a great help at trying to figure all this stuff out!