PDA

View Full Version : Carbs in plain yogurt

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tiggerlady
Mon, Jul-18-11, 07:45
Hi All,

I read somewhere that the carbs listed in yogurt are actually the carbs in the starting material (milk or cream) and the actual net carbs in the yogurt are less due to the bacteria eating them during the fermentation process.

Can anyone confirm and point me at a source to explain?

Thanks!

Elizellen
Mon, Jul-18-11, 12:36
I have read somewhere that the theory you mention has been disproved, but as the yogurt I use (fullfat greek strained yogurt) has very few carbs in it anyway (2.8 per 100 grams) I didn't bother to save that info anywhere.

BTW you can remove some of the carbs from plain yogurt by straining it using a coffee filter or muslin jelly bag, as most of the lactose (carbs) are in the whey which leeches out when you strain it.

i<3taubes
Mon, Jul-18-11, 12:48
I've wondered this same thing. Usually non fat greek yogurt kicks me out of ketosis, but I'm not sure if it's the carbs or the high amount of protein without any fat. Hmmmm

mike_d
Mon, Jul-18-11, 13:42
I've wondered this same thing. Usually non fat greek yogurt kicks me out of ketosis, but I'm not sure if it's the carbs or the high amount of protein without any fat. HmmmmI figure anything labeled non-fat, low-fat or 'lite' is fattening at best and un-healthful at worst. If I ever buy some by mistake, it is easy to be tricked, it goes in the waste bin after I unpack the groceries and notice.

i<3taubes
Mon, Jul-18-11, 14:23
I figure anything labeled non-fat, low-fat or 'lite' is fattening at best and un-healthful at worst. If I ever buy some by mistake, it is easy to be tricked, it goes in the waste bin after I unpack the groceries and notice.

Definitely good advice.

mel92
Mon, Jul-18-11, 14:35
See now, I can eat Blue Bunny Lite vanilla yogurt and still lose weight and have no ill side effects. I don't eat it anymore but eat the Athenos plain Greek yogurt instead, about 3-4 times a week.

Kisal
Mon, Jul-18-11, 15:07
it was discussed rather extensively in this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138905&highlight=yogurt+content

Tiggerlady
Tue, Jul-19-11, 21:55
it was discussed rather extensively in this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138905&highlight=yogurt+content

Thanks!
Appreciate the link!

Tiggerlady
Tue, Jul-19-11, 21:58
I have read somewhere that the theory you mention has been disproved, but as the yogurt I use (fullfat greek strained yogurt) has very few carbs in it anyway (2.8 per 100 grams) I didn't bother to save that info anywhere.

BTW you can remove some of the carbs from plain yogurt by straining it using a coffee filter or muslin jelly bag, as most of the lactose (carbs) are in the whey which leeches out when you strain it.

That seems very low! What brand is it? Fage (brand I like) is 4 g carb per 100 g for either 0% fat or 2% (store I shop doesn't carry full-fat). It's very thick and dense. I don't think more carbs could be strained out of it.

I really love yogurt, it helps keep me from getting candida infections and helps my digestion. So I'd love to have a lower-carb way of eating it.

Elizellen
Wed, Jul-20-11, 06:00
Even Fage yogurt can be strained even more - it makes something called "yocheese" which you can use as a spread. I just sit it in a fine sieve in a big bowl overnight in the fridge, but you could use a plastic coffee filter or line a funnel with filter paper to do the same.

I end up with a sieve holding yocheese and a puddle of whey in the bowl below it.

Here is Lowcarb Linda's method
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/yocheese.html

I assume the removal of the whey would make the yocheese lower in carbs, as wiki has the info that whey produced when cheesemaking has about 5 grams carbs per 100 grams of it. You could measure how much whey drains from a given amount of yogurt adn recalculate the carb count of what is left if you were using copious amount of it.

The "original" FAGE which is 10% fat has 3 carbs per 100 grams

abbykitty
Wed, Jul-20-11, 07:12

I've taken to eating a spoon full of plain yogurt every day just to get the good bacteria. I had read that bacteria in the gut determines fat storage or something like that -that thin people have different flora, so I figured I'd give it a try. Can't hurt, right? shrug. My question is, does straining it affect the concentration of the bacteria do you think?