PDA

View Full Version : are you taking the generic gluc or not?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

VickiP
Mon, Apr-29-02, 17:17
I have heard some reason talk that the generic glucophage (metaformin) for some reason is not working. I have heard actually many accounts of being on glucophage and having a good experience with it, and then switching to the metaformin and gaining weight back and breaking out, etc.
What kind are you on and what have been your experiences!
Thanks!
Tori
P.S. I have been on the met and had no luck!

VickiP
Mon, Apr-29-02, 17:18
It is not supposed to say reason talk, it is supposed to say recent talk. I'm an engineer, and my english skills are lacking a little! sorry :)

clodagh
Thu, May-02-02, 02:27
I'm confused.

I thought Metformin was simply a brand name for glucophage?

Clodagh

VickiP
Thu, May-02-02, 15:18
Metaformin is the generic brand of glucophage. Usually, generics are fine to have, but in some medications, generic brands are not as good. I have heard in a few places that Metaformin is not as good as glucophage.

moniquej8
Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:25
Metformin HCl is the generic form of Bristol-Myers Squibb's Glucophage. I have been on Glucophage xr for 3 months and have never had any side effects and feel batter than ever! I have lost weight and have tons of energy. Cycles are getting back to norm.
Monique :)

dece
Sun, Jul-07-02, 17:12
Monique,

Did you use the Met along with a LC diet and getting back to normal or just the Met? My best friend has PCOS and is on the Met, and she's about to go on Clomid (she's trying to get PG). I'm wondering if a LC diet could help the PCOS as well.

Dece in AZ

moniquej8
Tue, Jul-09-02, 23:53
Dece,
Sorry I did not reply sooner. I have been away. Yes LCing will help with PCOS. I have never taken Clomid so I can not help with any answers to that, I too might be starting on Clomid as well in the up comming weeks. My Dr suggested LCing in addition to taking met. I have lost weight just alone on the met, but I can truely say that I have seen more changes physically and mentally since LCing as well. Reducing my carbs has helped me bring on regular cycles. Check this web site out. Very encouraging !

http://www.geocities.com/pcosvictory/

Keep in touch and let me know the progress with the clomid.
Monique :thup:

dece
Wed, Jul-10-02, 08:19
Monique,

Thanks for sending the link to the site. I am going to forward it on to my best friend, Emilie. She's hoping she's PG right now. (Crossing my fingers for her!)

Dece

Terri L.
Sat, Nov-02-02, 13:34
I am new to this group but have had pcos for 15 years. I have read " Living with PCOS" as my Dr. suggested. It gives some great info. I am taking The brand name Glucophage 500 twice daily. I tried the generic and had increased ovarian pain. Switched back to brand and feel much better. My Gyn. says it should also help with weight loss. With out being on any plan I lost 10 pds. in 4 mos. So I can't wait to see what I can do on Atkins. I also have a 2 year old due to Clomid and Aygestin. So I hope this helps. Terri L.

tripletmom
Fri, Dec-13-02, 00:48
I just wanted to clear up one little thing... glucophage and metformin are exactly the same pill.... metformin is not truly a generic, it is the scientific name for the brand name Glucophage. I know that a lot of sites list metformin as the generic name, and so do a lot of pharmacies, but that is false. They are one and the same :)

Gracia_30
Fri, Dec-13-02, 05:54
Hi,

I've been on Metformin for a couple of years now and can say that I don't have any problems and have been losing weight with little or no problems (LC'ing of course).

Some discomfort in the beginning, however that quickly goes away. It also depends on everybody's body. Everyone reacts differently.

This medication has helped me feel like a human being again. I can honestly say that I feel much better when I take my met than when I don't.

I also have been extensively studying all facets of PCOS. Being on Met AND Chlomid at the same time gives you a much better chance of the Chlomid working. Should you take the Chlomid without the Met, you take a chance of it not working for you (it never worked for me). I was wondering how come it did not work and looked it up and that's when I found that it has a bigger success rate if taken along with Met. I'm sure if you LC as well, it would make it that much better. Unfortunately I can't comment on that because I never got that far.

tripletmom
Fri, Dec-13-02, 09:50
The Clomid didn't work before, because of a condition called "Clomid Resistance", which many women with PCOS have. Because of all the extra hormones running amok in our bodies, specifically androgens, the Clomid can't compete, and fails to induce ovulation. Once Glucophage (metformin) is introduced, our insulin is better used, therefore we have less of it floating around. Since insulin is the main hormone of the body, and drives all other hormones, everything else settles down as well. Most women with PCOS will start to spontaneously ovulate on Glucophage. When Clomid is then introduced, it works like it is meant to, by promoting a "super" ovulation cycle, where more than 1 egg will "pop", which is why the drug insert with Clomid indicates a higher risk of multiples. (No, I did not get pregnant with just Clomid <since I have triplets>, I did IVF/ISCI because of additional problems on my husbands side)