PDA

View Full Version : coffee drinks

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lterry913
Tue, Mar-08-11, 15:33
I was at a coffee shop and ordered a brave' ...a coffee drink made with half and half instead of whole or skim milk...while the difference in carbs is 10 for the half n half...13 for the whole milk...0 sugars for the half and half and 13 for the milk...did I make a good choice it still seems the carbs are high but it was a treat...any help or suggestions is appreciated.

BigBenny
Tue, Mar-08-11, 15:50
I was always under the assumption that "breve" meant it was made with HWC. Is that not true?

Ghoulia
Tue, Mar-08-11, 16:10
Nope, half and half.

If it was HWC it'd give them license to charge 7 bucks for a tall, I'm sure.

lterry913
Tue, Mar-08-11, 16:53
thanks for the spelling check...never had one before and didn't check on spell lol...but i always hear to use the half and half but the carbs aren't much lower than the whole milk (3)...just the sugars(13)...so I wasn't sure which would be the better choice

black57
Thu, Mar-10-11, 20:14
The one with the highest amount of fat.

lterry913
Fri, Mar-11-11, 08:40
Thank you that would definitely be the breve then.

abbykitty
Sat, Mar-12-11, 06:24
I used to get a grande breve latte, but yeah, still lots of carbs. I read a thread on here that suggested getting a tall very dry breve cappuccino with an extra shot. So it's like very strong coffee with just the foam and not actual half and half. It was actually quite good.

When you get a regular breve latte or cap, there's actually some half and half they pour in along with the foam. If you ask for it dry you get just the foam is my understanding.

paycoguy
Sat, Mar-12-11, 06:54
Awesome! Yesterday at starbucks, I asked for coffee and heavy whipping cream. It was like 200 calories and had me full for 4 hours. The fattier stuff is in the fridge, so you need to specifically ask for it.

abbykitty
Sat, Mar-12-11, 07:01
Awesome! Yesterday at starbucks, I asked for coffee and heavy whipping cream. It was like 200 calories and had me full for 4 hours. The fattier stuff is in the fridge, so you need to specifically ask for it.

Yup. But sometimes they don't have hwc (or at least they say they don't). Plus I truly hate starbucks coffee, always tastes burnt. But the espresso for some reason is very yummy which is why I try to get a cap or latte or something. .. . loves me some coffee.

lterry913
Sat, Mar-12-11, 07:28
Thanks for the tip on the foam...it will be very helpful ...I also will try the hwc on top of a regular coffee and perhaps just mixing it in for richness...and I agree with the burnt taste thing...I can only drink their very mild brews at starbucks...I must be a LIGHTWEIGHT ...lol at least from a coffee standpoint ;)

paycoguy
Sat, Mar-12-11, 07:36
Hehe as a former low fat dieter, I learned to drink coffee black. It is only then you can taste the subtleties of each coffee type. I personally like all coffees from all the shops. I even find instant coffee not that bad.

Merpig
Sat, Mar-12-11, 08:08
Yup. But sometimes they don't have hwc (or at least they say they don't). Plus I truly hate starbucks coffee, always tastes burnt. I don't hate Starbucks coffee, but I hate the prices so I never go there unless invited to meet friends or something. Even though there is a Starbucks only a couple blocks from my house that I pass by every morning when I'm walking my dog. :D

But the times I've been to Starbucks I've asked for HWC every time, and every time I've been told they don't have it (not just my local but several different Starbucks). So if I can't get HWC I just drink it black. I actually like it black! I like it with HWC better, :lol: but if I can't get HWC then black is just fine. Like paycoguy I learned to like black coffee in my low fat days, as anything is better than that total abomination - coffee with skim milk! I don't like it with milk at all, and these days even half-and-half tastes too thin for me. HWC or nothing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reginia
Sat, Mar-12-11, 08:09
Slightly off topic, but I've tried the carb friendly coffees and it's just BLEH. I prefer to wait on the cheat treat and get what I want. I love Starbucks!

ringamajig
Sat, Mar-12-11, 08:24
If the Starbucks that you visit has the silver canisters with the whipped cream in them than they have HWC. They make their own sweetened whipped cream with the HWC to put into those canisters. So, if they have those and they tell you that they do not have HWC, then they are not being truthful. Sometimes the person taking the order does not know, so ask the Barista or the manager also.

NortonMan
Sat, Mar-12-11, 09:03
Iterry your plan is listed as food combination. What is that?

lterry913
Sun, Mar-13-11, 10:15
It is basically a low carb plan that has you eat proteins, fats and veggies together...fruit on any empty stomach and if you chose to eat carbs such as bread or cereal they must be eaten with no fats....like cereal with skim milk...or veggie pizza with fat free cheese...if going from protein meal to carb meal you must wait 4 hours between meals...I have lost 30 pounds since December but I am at a little stall right now.. hopefully things will pick up again soon :/