PDA

View Full Version : Can you OVEREAT Pork Rinds during Induction??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CindyMarie
Tue, Jan-18-11, 11:52
I still have this psychological block saying to me "DONT EAT THAT!"

I have a new guilty pleasure and that is Diet A&W with Sambrosa's Pork Cracklins'

Of course I am sticking to all of the legal foods for induction, i am eating until satisfied and making sure i drink a lot of water and no cravings.
I keep a bag of pork rinds in my car and a case of A&W in the trunk as a safety net if for a snack on the go or if i get a hankering for a diet soda and if the restaurant doesn thave Diet A&W

I didnt even eat all of my planned meals yesterday just because i wasnt that hungry.

Today Im on Day 4 of Induction and feel great.

Please tell me I am not going insane for munching on super-fatty pork rinds! :lol:

bkloots
Tue, Jan-18-11, 12:04
How many pork rinds can you eat?

My guess is you'd get tired of chewing before you ate "too many" of these things. If you dip them in something--cream cheese, for instance, or salad dressing--even less. Eventually, things will even out. When I did my first induction years and years ago, pork rinds were my saving grace.

So my advice is, eat up!

You might want to check the ingredients in that root beer though. Too much aspartame is not recommended. Also, slurping soda--even the sugar free stuff--tends to perpetuate a sweet tooth.

Best wishes.

Beez in BR
Tue, Jan-18-11, 12:09
Just make sure there's no sugar in your pork rinds. I couldn't find any that didn't have a little sugar in them.

Don't look at the carbs per serving (because they can list 0 carbs if the carbs per serving are .99) look at the ingredient list. If you are eating that many of them you may be getting too many hidden carbs.

You also will be getting a lot of salt, so you may retain water.

Deviled Eggs were my 'go to' food during induction.

Candiflip
Tue, Jan-18-11, 12:44
for me yes, only because of salt. BUT in the beginning no. Like others said just check label. I find good pork rinds in Asian markets.. 0 carbs NO sugar :)

CindyMarie
Tue, Jan-18-11, 12:50
I have already checked the pork rinds and its 0 carbs/0 sugar with only fat and protein and of course lots of sodium.
ingredients: pork cracklins, salt

I dont know how many per se that im eating. i will munch on them while i am driving in traffic and im not counting. but i bought the bag on Saturday night (its relatively smaller than a bag of regular chips) and i have only eaten about 1/2 of the bag since then.

Diet A&W is usually just one a day and it is the same with 0 carbs/0 sugar
i dont have much of a sweet tooth but this is what satisfies it.

for the salt, that is why im drinking a lot of water too. going for 40 oz minimum a day but want to push that to 80oz soon (about 2 liters)

WereBear
Tue, Jan-18-11, 13:18
If you are only snacking on pork rinds; u r doin' it rong!

There's so much more you can do with pork rinds!

They can be crushed for breading things, dipped in sour cream or cream cheese dips for a great & easy lunch, and I love them as French Toast:

2 1/2 cups crushed pork rinds
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg

Mix it up and let sit while your griddle warms up your butter, then grill until brown & crispy on each side. Top with more butter and some Splenda sweetened syrup and/or some crushed berries, depending on how you roll. Other than that, it's all protein and fat.

Now that's a treat!

Candiflip
Tue, Jan-18-11, 13:29
Diet A&W is usually just one a day and it is the same with 0 carbs/0 sugar
i dont have much of a sweet tooth but this is what satisfies it.

I used to Love diet A&W. but for me it stalled me after a while. I think because like you it started off as just 1 a day.. then turned in to 2.. 3...4.. well you get the picture lol. I craved them . They had to go :lol:

CindyMarie
Tue, Jan-18-11, 16:34
ok cool thanks! if i have only eaten 1/2 bag in 3 days i dont think that is too much. again it seems its a psychological thing.

i have yet to try them crushed on meat like chicken fried steak or somthing.

the A&W aint a big deal as iv always been a big water drinker and dont see myself going more than 1 a day and can abstain from them if need be should they become a stall, but for induction at 1 a day should that be cool?

Kristine
Tue, Jan-18-11, 16:47
BTW, super fatty pork rinds? I wish I could get super-fatty pork rinds. The ones available here have 6 g fat, 7 g protein per serving. They need a fatty dip.

CindyMarie
Tue, Jan-18-11, 17:59
okay i guess they are only "super fatty" by 1 gram compared to yours Kristine :lol:

Bakenets are too dry but im sure would be easier for crushing up.
these kinds make better for just plain snackin' i gave one to a dog once that just had surgery on a tooth (i didnt know at the time) and it was too hard and the dog just gave up on it.

these are crispy... and will give your jaws a workout!
thus the name PORK CRACKLINS :thup:

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/el-sabroso/pork-cracklins/