PDA

View Full Version : Question for a protein power professional

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shae
Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:33
Am I doing this right? This is my menu from my first day.

B:
tuna w/ mayo - 18 g
1 1/2 wasa - 7g

L:
tuna w/ mayo - 13 g
1 sl. cheese - 5g
1 1/2 wasa - 7g

D:
chicken - 18 g
caesar salad - 7g

S:
1 sl cheese - 5g
1 rusk - 5g

total protein= 59g

total carbs= 26

water= 2L

my lbm is 90

Does this look right? I'm not used to adding in wasa & rusks crisp breads. I feel like I am eating sandwiches. It's a nice break from atkins where I couldn't eat any breads at all. (I almost feel guilty)

shae

Karen
Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:47
Umm, have you read the Protein Power book yet shae? What you're eating could vaguely be Protein Power, but it's not really Protein Power.

Karen

shae
Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:52
Hey Karen,

Yes I have read the book & done the calculations. am I really off?

shae

Karen
Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:17
Where you're off is using grains as your only form of carbohydrates.

Think of PP as similar to Atkins with a very occasional bit of fruit or Wasa cracker - falling within the 30 gram guideline for carbs per day - if that is what you are starting with. Also fewer egg yolks and high fat dairy products.

Karen

shae
Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:34
Thanks for the info karen. I guess what got me confused was reading the menus where for breakfast, they listed light bread as well as fruit , lunch, pita's, snacks, cheese, all in the same day! Also it said not to worry about the fats. I guess I better read the book again.

Have a great weekend :D

shae

tokenyanke
Fri, Apr-26-02, 17:57
I hope I am doing my food right as well!

My "average" day looks something like this.

B/ 1 whole egg w/ 2 egg whites omelet(using 1 T mayo also)
I saute either celery or mushrooms in 1 T olive oil and then add the eggs

S/ 4-5 medium sized strawberries

L/ 4-5 oz ground turkey or canned salmon
salad and salad veggies with 1 T "homemade" salad dressing(mayo and olive oil and parsley and water to thin)

S/ more strawberries or 1 oz nuts

D/ 4-5 oz meat of whatever kind
salad and salad veggies(cukes, radishes, celery, etc)w/ dressing

S/ decaf coffee with 1 T cream & 1 pk splenda and zero carb syrup

I hope this helps and I hope it's within the correct guidelines. I gathered the same thing as you, Shae, from reading the book... that it's okay to add in the crackers and other things.

I haven't added in any grains since I think I have an intolerance to them anyways. I will sometimes have some cheese, but I haven't added in very much yet. I do have a few pork rinds each day if I feel a little hungry or need something munchie.

cindi

tokenyanke
Fri, Apr-26-02, 19:17
Check out page 109 in Protein Power. The very last paragraph lists fruits and wheat toast, crackers, etc, as possible choices. It does state to "choose wisely". Again on pg 133, it goes into the maintanance and adding higher carb things in.

I knew I had read that stuff in the book. I think my "flaw" might be in the mayo, but I've carried that over from Atkins!

cindi

shae
Mon, Apr-29-02, 10:09
Hey Cindi,

I too have carried over some things from atkins. I was really excited about the pp diet, until I was told I wasn't doing it right. :( But you know, I did this for a few days & I feel great, my clothes are getting looser & I think I can stick to this. :D I know to watch the grains, so I'll have 1-2 wasa's a day.(5 grams each)
& watch my fats. (mayo) I read in pp that this guy loved a certain type of candy that was 17 gr carb. He had 1 a day, & used the rest of his carb allowance on good carbs. He said this 1 candy a day helped his food cravings & kept him on his diet! I also don't weigh myself. I judge myself by the way my clothes fit & how I look. I found if I weighed myself, I was always disappointed even if my clothes were looser. Your diet looks pretty good. No grains or cheese - my major weakness!

shae