PDA

View Full Version : maintenance

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

caverjen
Thu, Apr-25-02, 19:00
Is anyone else on the maintenance phase of SP? At this point I am just looking to stay healthy, tone up a little more, and keep up a good milk supply for my 8-month-old baby. I have been pretty much following the Zone diet except eating all kinds of fat. I have been trying to eat mainly whole foods as SP recommends. I think I should be eating 45g carbs/meal and want to know if anyone has suggestions of what my meals should look like. The meal plans in the book are geared toward the healing phase. Also, how is everyone else dealing with giving up chocolate and artificial sweeteners? I have given up aspartame, but I still use Splenda and I love my chocolate whey protein powder.

Jen

lisaf
Fri, Apr-26-02, 13:12
Hi Jen -

I'm on maintenance - have been since February when I finally decided that my body wasn't going to get to 140 without severe restriction and struggle.

Congrats on your new (or not so new) baby and breastfeeding. I think that so long as you are eating adequate calories, proteins and plenty of low-starch veggies your milk supply will be fine. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing so as long as the baby nurses and you are eating enough calories to maintain your own mass and the extra calories to make milk you will be fine.

I eat 60-100 g of carbs per day (this includes carbs from non-starchy veg that SP wouldn't count). Do you want to eath 45g per meal because you are nursing or because of your activity level? At 135g per day how does this compare to the Zone - still less? I think as long as you are still feeling the effects of low-carbing (good energy, feel in control, digestion is good) then 45g maybe quite appropriate for you since you aren't trying to lose weight.

I haven't given up chocolate or AS (Splenda and Sugar Twin) and in that regard I have never completely followed the program...but I haven't had problems with these foods. I also use protein powders to up my protein intake for weight training.

Feel free to ask any more questions anytime. I have a journal (Lisaf's journal) - feel free to check it out.

Lisa

caverjen
Sun, Apr-28-02, 19:32
Thanks for replying, Lisa! I am estimating 45g carbs/meal based on my activity level and than this is how many carbs/meal I am getting on the Zone diet. However on the Zone you count non-starchy veggies but you don't count carbs in foods that are mainly protein (like tofu) or mainly fat (like nuts or avocado). You do subtract the fiber. I am just tired of having to measure fat, protein AND carbs and balance each meal. I think I might do better counting all carbs. Does Schwartzbein subtract the fiber in starchy foods/veggies? I'm under the impression that she doesn't, but in not counting the non-starchy veggies it balances out.

I think that I will try counting the carbs in my non-starchy veggies like you do, especially when I eat large amounts. I'm afraid that if I eat 45g of starchy veggies, fruit and grains at a meal that it will be too much insulin stimulation. But if I don't eat enough carbs I am hungry right away. Currently I am also eating 3 snacks a day that have 9-18g carbs. I know I will have to lower my food intake when my baby starts eating more solid foods.

Another thing I have a hard time with is the fat. My body is so used to a low-fat vegetarian diet. Adding as much fat as many of the recipes and menu suggestions have makes me nauseated. I still use some reduced-fat and fat-free cheeses to keep the protein up without adding fat. I eat very little meat.

Glad to hear you have had success without giving up AS or chocolate! I'm not quite ready for that, although I have given up diet sodas and caffeine.

Jen

lisaf
Mon, Apr-29-02, 13:39
Hi Jen -

Can't say I relate to the nauseated by fat thing...but maybe you just need to add gradually?

I don't count the carbs in non-starchy veggies...but I do subtract fibre (at least I did when I was keeping my carbs at around 50 g per day). To be honest - I don't count much anymore - I just have foods I don't touch or eat only in extreme moderation.

Lisa