PDA

View Full Version : New to protein power

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shae
Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:07
Hi,

I just started pp & was wondering if there is any information on how much weight a person should loose per week on the plan. I was on atkins & they say that you can loose anywhere from 4-8 lbs in the first 2 weeks.

Thanks
shae :D

tokenyanke
Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:22
Hey Shae,

I just started PP 2 days ago after switching from Atkins. I didn't really notice anything in the book that gave what amounts of weight to expect to lose. Atkins goes into that subject more. Of course, I'm an exception to every rule and lost way slower than most, anyway. I just try to not be in a hurry and give it time.

I am enjoying PP a lot with it being strawberry season here! At 30-35 carbs a day, though, I am already out of ketosis, but I've also lost 1.5 lbs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

cindi :p

shae
Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:53
Hi Cindi,

Thanks for replying. This is actually my first day. I decided to switch to pp because I never seemed to get past the induction on atkins. Also i wanted to be able to eat small amounts of fruit, breads, crackers & a glass of wine occassionally. I also wanted to be on a diet that I didn't have to change ie induction/maintainence etc... So I hope this is it! Congrats on the 1.5 lbs!

shae

tokenyanke
Fri, Apr-26-02, 10:43
Hey Shae,

Well, today is my 3rd day on PP and I've lost 2 lbs so far. I keep thinking someday it's gonna backfire! I know I shouldn't be that pessimistic! I have to stop thinking like that!

I had similar problems on Atkins... Every time I tried adding carbs to get to 25 a day, my weight would start jumping up on me! I would cut out nuts, cheese, cream or whatever I was having that I thought might be the problem, but even with just veggies, I would gain. With PP, I've been getting 30-35 carbs every single day and I'm having nuts, cheese and cream and am not having a problem! So, I wonder if maybe I was just getting way too much protein and maybe it wasn't actually the fault of the added carbs. Whatever it is, I am glad to be losing the 5 lbs I had gained on Atkins. In a lot of ways, though, I do still feel like I'm doing Atkins since PP is really similar in so many ways. Like you, though, I know that I will want to add in some other things later on that I wouldn't be able to on Atkins.

I hope PP works well for you also. Keep me posted. :wave:

cindi

Louloo
Fri, Apr-26-02, 13:53
Just starting PP today as well. Have been on Atkins for two months & I seen to have come to a stand still.

Thought I would try and do the switch, and it might kick start something.

Good Luck :angel:

Banana
Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:22
Hi there,

It's interesting to read all your comments about Atkins vs PP, I'm just reading PPLP at the moment after having read PP and I've sort of naturally slid into doing PP instead of Atkins. I always felt Atkins a little too restrictive with the fruit. :rolleyes:

I too feel that maybe I was eating too much protein on Atkins. My minimum was around 60g but I was eating double that somedays, must confess did that today as well! But I found when it comes to the scales, the days my protein was lower I lost, maybe it was just coincidence, don't know, have to check it out again and experiment. But also I think I feel better when I don't eat quite so much protein and stick to around 80 - 90g per day and 30-40g carbs, it's great to have a slice of bread or some grapefruit in the morning :p . I'll see how the weight loss goes on those figures for a week!

Tokenyanke - how much do you generally eat a day, I'll have to look see if you have a journal going. And how do you know you are out of ketosis, those ketostix are not very reliable, you can use one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening and the results will all be different!

Look forward to seeing you fellow PP'ers results after switching!

Banana
:wave:

shae
Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:41
Thanks to all of you for replying. I just posted my menu from my first day because I am a little confused as to how it works. Karen replyed that I'm not doing it right. I'd like to see how you are setting up your menus. It would be a great help!!!

Thanks

shae :confused:

tokenyanke
Fri, Apr-26-02, 17:19
Wow... we're getting our own little PP group here! That's great!

First of all, for what I'm eating... I am getting between 1500 and 1700 calories per day(which falls within the 10-12x my weight guidelines). I use www.fitday.com whenever I can to check my stats... Most days my protein is mid 20%'s and my fat is around 70%. It is pretty easy to figure things out using that website... I really like it.

Next, for knowing I'm out of ketosis... I no longer have the bad breath feeling all the time! And, I have tested several times at different times of the day using the ketostix and it is always negative. Before, I was always at least a little in the pink and at night I was usually almost the darkest it could get.

I wish all of us the best of this WOE. LC is great and I am impressed with it.

cindi

sallyd
Sun, Apr-28-02, 07:17
I have been doing Atkins since 1/4/02 and have only lost 2#, I am going to start doing Protein Power today because I think I am eating to much protein. I use fitday to enter my daily intake but I am still a little confused as to how much fat you can or should have on protein power. I had a moch danish for breakfast.
calories- 287, fat-25, carbs-5, 11-protein. I figures my protein out and I should have around 58 grams a day(if I figured it out right)
Any advise anyone can give I would appreciate it.
sallyd

tokenyanke
Sun, Apr-28-02, 08:26
Hey Sallyd,

Welcome to PP!

The protein level that you come up with after doing calculations is your "minimum" requirement per day. If you go over, that's okay, according to the book. My requirement is around 80 gms and I usually am closer to 95-100 gms.

I have been at the same weight the past 2 days, but I had lost 2 lbs before that. On Tuesday my first week will be up and I can increase my carbs some more, so we'll see how it goes from there.

Some good ideas for breaking a plateau are on pages 140-141 in the book.

Like you, I think I was eating too much protein on the Atkins and that was causing problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the PP that it will work for me.

Keep at it and keep reading. Every time I open the book, I read something else that I hadn't noticed before!

cindi

Louloo
Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:10
Great to see all the responses. I am currently not doing anything until Monday. Have not had anything I should not have, just not following any plan for another day.

This AM I had

crustless broccoli quiche
3 strips bacon
1 slice rye bread ( 9 grams carbs)

Not sure about later today.

Have been feeling that I am eating to much fat. When I put in fit day it comes out around 70-79%, but it just seems to much for me.

We will see what Monday brings when I start again on PP. :angel:

sallyd
Sun, Apr-28-02, 10:47
thanks for responding and yes I will continue to read the book.
I wasn't sure if you could have more protein. I will see how it goes. THe past couple of days I was so hungry but today I have been more satified.
sallyd

tokenyanke
Sun, Apr-28-02, 14:39
Yea... when I first switched to PP from Atkins, those first couple of days I noticed more hunger. I had been eating a lot more protein and my body had gotten use to it! Now it doesn't seem to bother, though. My hardest challenge at the moment is making sure to get in enough carbs and I'm trying to cut back on mayo since it has the soybean oil in it that PP says isn't so good.... At least what I use isn't hydrolized, but that's the only plus, I guess.

Have a great day! It's nice to see some PP people here. I really like this forum so much more than any others I've seen.

cindi

tokenyanke
Mon, Apr-29-02, 03:10
Well, I think I just need to donate my body to medical science! I did everything the same over the weekend as I have been doing. When I started PP, I lost 2 lbs in 3 days and then stayed the same for 2 days.... Now it's back up 1.5 lbs! I past being frustrated. After being on LC for 3 months and hardly losing anything, I've read and tried everything I know of and have read of to try.

Major bummer!

cindi :(

Banana
Mon, Apr-29-02, 05:24
Hi Tokenyanke,

Don't give up, I'm the same. I used to jump on the scales every day, and was horrified to see the fluctuation.

Now I TRY to only use them once a week, it's much better, you don't get so disheartened if you gain. You have to remind yourself that any gain, is not fat if you are eating correctly. Somewhere in this forum someone quoted that you need to eat mega amounts over your quota to gain 1lb of fat. It's just water and that sort of thing. I can be up 1.5lbs one day then 3 days later have lost 2lbs, thereby = 1/2lb loss overall.

I think over time you WILL loose, but you have to stay the course! :D I've been hovering between 138 - 136lbs for about 2 weeks now, so it's time my hovering was lowered!!!!! BUt then I remember the same thing, a while ago, hovering between 138 - 140lbs and then suddenly it went down permanently. Maybe someone has a better explanation for these 'hoverings'!!! followed by whooshes!!!!!

Take care and don't loose heart, it WILL come off eventually.

Banana :wave:

PS just had my first 1/4 apple with some cheese, it was soooooo sweet, yummy for a snack, PP is great!

tokenyanke
Mon, Apr-29-02, 10:42
Hey Banana,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping it will come back off easily. My body seems to be an exception to every rule, though, and when I think it's water weight, it ends up sticking no matter how correctly I'm eating! It is awful.... I really wish there was some dr somewhere that knew what was wrong with me cause I sure feel like my body doesn't work right!

I'm glad you enjoyed the apple(or 1/4 of one!). I'm still enjoying strawberries and have a fresh gallon of huge strawberries here at work that a coworker got for me over the weekend. They smell and taste so great!

cindi

Banana
Mon, Apr-29-02, 14:20
MMMMMMMMMMmmmmm strawberries,

I've just had 4!! with some whipped cream. I freeze them then mash them with cream to make speedy strawberry icecream! A tip I got off here somewhere! :yum:

Good luck with the weight loss, it'll get going again! don't worry, you just have to experiement with things, maybe there's something that's causing you to stall. Take a look through this forum, there is bound to be some advise, I think there's even a forum about 'stalls and plateaus' that you could look up.

Byeee
Banana :wave:

brianna53
Wed, May-15-02, 03:13
Are any of you exercising? I have found that no matter WHAT eating plan I am using ever, I never really lose/maintain weight loss untill I start exercising.

sallyd
Wed, May-15-02, 05:05
i exercise 3-5 days a week. I walk at least 2 miles at work everyday as the girls in my office walk one mile on each of our breaks. I do weight training 2-3 times a week.
sallyd

brianna53
Wed, May-15-02, 06:46
wow. i am up to 1.5 miles a day 5 days a week. have to figure out time to squeeze in weights. am touring curves for women this week. maybe can figure out how to do them.

sallyd
Wed, May-15-02, 06:51
At work they have it marked that if you walk around the tunnel(basement) 4 times it is a mile, so we walk around 4 times on each break and then everytime I go to the bathroom I walk one time around. I work in a big facility so somedays I walk 6 miles just at work, also everywhere I walk I normally have to go up steps.
sallyd

brianna53
Wed, May-15-02, 18:43
i used to walk at work. but it's outside and it's gotten too hot. i don't want to offend people. so i do all my walking after i drop off the boys at the school bus. i started at a half mile. am working my way up to 2 miles. don't know if i can go higher than that due to time. i have to be home in bed by 8AM so i can get my allotted 6 hours of sleep before the boys get home from school..

sallyd
Wed, May-15-02, 19:26
It is great that you walk and any amount you do will is exercising.
I have a treadmill and I walk or run on that some days but it gets boring. When I walk with the girls at work it goes so quick because we talk the whole time. The one girl walks so fast that I really get a good workout just keeping up with her.
You must work nights, I am a nurse and I work day shift. My 2 daughters are both married so I don't have any children at home.
My husband and I work out together at night.
sallyd

brianna53
Wed, May-15-02, 22:53
I work from 9PM to 6AM Sunday through Thursday but it will be changing soon to 10PM to 7AM Tuesday through Saturday. I have no one to exercise with so that sucks. But I just count it as me time. Besides, in the heat I can't see me wanting to talk much anyway. My husband doesn't do much with me so no exercise partner there. And I still have 2 children at home, a 7 year old son and a 10 year old son.

sallyd
Fri, May-17-02, 07:01
Had a bad day yesterday. I had a funeral (my grandmothers) ate at the dinner afterwards and kept eating all day, mostly low carb but I don't know what my total calorie or carb counts was.
Today will be better. I got that book and read it all, I learned a few things and I am going to keep it for a good reference. Do you take any vitamins?
sallyd

brianna53
Fri, May-17-02, 07:13
what book did you get to read? i use http://www.fitday.com to keep track of my carb percentages. it helps me so much.

yes, i take vitamins. a B complex, DHEA, a multi, CoQ10, ginko, and a vitamin for hair support. do you take vitamins?

sorry about the funeral. those can be very stressful.

brianna

sallyd
Fri, May-17-02, 09:33
I use fitday to but yesterday i had so many things that I lost track of trying to count. I got a book called the secret to low carb sucess by Laura Richard( i bought it online at amazon.com) It compares a lot of the low carb diets and gives other helpful hints, someone on this site recommended it but I can't remember who.
It has a lot of web sites for low carb.
Sallyday

sallyd
Fri, May-17-02, 09:35
no I don't take a vitamin, i am on Premarin, Synthroid and calcium. I tried a vitamin but it made me so lethargic. I am very sensitive to medications. I may taking a multivitamin again, not sure

brianna53
Fri, May-17-02, 23:13
i have these books: atkins (too stringent), protien power and the zone (which didn't resonate with me). so i am trying to work through protien power.

i work nights and i find that if i don't take my vitamins i have less than no energy. i usually have no energy to begin with...i am ALWAYS tired. but the vitamins help, especially the B complex.

debra

sallyd
Sat, May-18-02, 17:58
I may try vitamins again. I liked the protein power but I usually eat to much protein according to their daily recommendation.
sallyd

Strawberry
Sun, May-19-02, 09:24
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Atkins, but have stuck solely with PP. I enjoy it quite a lot, and my body composition is definitely changing. Let's not forget how important exercising is as well as our change of diet. I go to the gym every other day for 1 hour. Nothing too strenuous, 18 minutes on an aerobic bike of some kind and a low weight training program for the remainder, and LOTS of water. After about two weeks of PP and exercise I'm really noticing changes, and like it says in PP, worry more about your body's composition than what the scale says. My partner has been away since I started, and oddly enough one of his first comments was, "you smell better." I was afraid I'd smell worse, but I'm quite delighted to hear this. I certainly know I look better and feel better and have been able to halve my high cholesterol and blood pressure medication. By August I expect to be off medication all together.

sallyd
Sun, May-19-02, 11:09
that is great that you have been able to cut down on you medication. I had my chol taken about a month ago and it was a little high but I am on Premarin and that can cause that to happed.
sallyd

kimberlina
Sun, May-19-02, 21:31
Hi all,
i am encouraged by reading everyones attempts to switch plans or refine their WOE. i wanted to learn a little more about PP and stopped at the library today, and they only had the Life Plan book. so tomorrow i will do some more reading and hopefully find the right mix for me.

I have been SO GUILTY of "cherry picking" (term picked up from rustpot i beleive) and mixing and matching plans and chosing the best parts from each. kinda like wanting to have your cake and eat it too!

anyhow, just wanted to say hi, and keep on keeping on!

PineSlayer
Sun, May-26-02, 19:43
I used the table in the back of the book as well as the information throughout the book and this is what I'm taking:
2 TwinLabs One Daily without Iron
250 mg of Vitamin C twice a day
800 mg of Vitamin E
600 mg chelated magnesium
396 mg potassium twice a day
300 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid
2 tsp of Carlson's Lemon Flavored Cod Liver Oil
300 mg CoQ10

Hope this helps.