PDA

View Full Version : Bacon & Swiss Morning Muffins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ImOnMyWay
Sun, May-02-10, 19:44
Breakfast: Bacon & Swiss Morning Muffins

adapted from a George Stella recipe (but since I made 5 substitutions, I can call the recipe my own):

1-½ C Carbquik
(if unavailable, you may substitute soy flour + baking powder)
¾ C cooked minced bacon bits
¼ C shredded Jarlsberg
3 eggs
2 C half-n-half
⅓ C Xylitol
2 TBS Oat Bran + 2 TBS Carbquik
oil or melted butter

Grease muffin tins. Dust with mixture of Mix oat bran/Carbquik mixture.

Whisk eggs then add liquid and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. Spoon into muffin tins.

Bake at 375º for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown/ toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool at least 5 minutes before consuming. (Stella recommends adding a pat of butter or cream cheese. I think they're fine just as they are.)

These were pretty tasty.

Quasimodo
Sun, May-02-10, 20:54
Can we sub splenda for xylitol?

ImOnMyWay
Sun, May-02-10, 22:19
Sure....I just used xylitol 'cuz it's what I had...xylitol does not promote tooth decay, BTW...

chermac
Tue, Oct-12-10, 19:04
I just read George Stella's book and his muffins were the first thing I tried. I really like this adaptation. Personally, I used the soy flour and substituted flax meal for the oat bran with an excellent taste and texture. I'll make this again for sure!

ImOnMyWay
Sun, Jan-02-11, 02:56
I just read George Stella's book and his muffins were the first thing I tried. I really like this adaptation. Personally, I used the soy flour and substituted flax meal for the oat bran with an excellent taste and texture. I'll make this again for sure!

Yeah these turned out pretty good! Kisal liked them, too.
:cool: