PDA

View Full Version : Which book is best???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nightowl
Sat, Apr-20-02, 00:39
Has anyone read both of the Heller's books, "Healthy for Life" and "The Carbohydate Addicts Lifespan Program"? Do I need to read both of them or do they say just about the same thing? Also, if you've read both of them, which is better? I have the "Carb. Addicts Diet" book, but want to get another one.
Thanks for the information! :spin:

Libbyfcr
Sun, Apr-28-02, 17:28
I have read them both, but it has been a long time since I have read "Healthy For Life".

CALP is my favorite and most used book.

nightowl
Sun, Apr-28-02, 18:15
Libby - Thanks for answering!!! What is the exact title of the CALP book. I want to get that exact book, but I can't find that EXACT name. Does this make sense? :confused: Is it the book that says it's for people over 40?

Also, how is CALP different than CAD? Thanks for the info!!! :roll:

Libbyfcr
Mon, Apr-29-02, 06:59
The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program

Same theory in both books. It's just IMO that the second book has been written to clarify the information that was in the first book. It is easier to understand, follow and refer to again and again.

It works for me, and I am 32.

:wave: Libby

nightowl
Mon, Apr-29-02, 17:24
Thanks again Libby! How long have you been eating this way? I feel that this must be a lifetime change for me! You have lost quite a bit! Did it take you very long? This has been very slow for me! Sometimes I get impatient! But I know that it didn't get here over night!! I think that I must be eating too much during my RM. Anyway, thanks again for the info! :spin:

Libbyfcr
Tue, Apr-30-02, 07:21
I started CALP in 2001 rather unprepared. I didn't read the book enough to honestly understand what I was doing. I guess at that time I wasn't ready for a change. I set myself up to fail. I lost some weight and knew CALP worked......but I didn't stay with it.

At Christmas, when I realized I had gained every ounce back and then some, I started to reread CALP. I also read any other Low-Carb book I could find at my library.

I knew I had to find a reason for my weight problems. I would get started and couldn't stop eating. I wasn't even hungry....and sometimes I would eat even when I was already stuffed. Ugh. Is that normal? Heck no. There had to be a reason..........

So I decided to give CALP a honest effort. If this was my salvation I was going to give it a chance to save me. I try very hard to follow their program as closely as I can.

I have lost about 40 pounds since the first of the year. I feel like a butterfly who has pulled herself out of a cocoon.

This is my way of life now.....and I love it.
Libby

nightowl
Tue, Apr-30-02, 11:45
That sounds exactly like me! Only, I haven't been able to get it back together like you! First I skimmed the book and started the diet and lost about 20 lbs. I was excited! Then I quit & gained it all back plus 10 lbs. So, like you, I actually read the book and now have started over. But unlike you, I can't seem to get it! That commitment to succeed. :(

You sound alot like me, about your old eating habits. So, call me dumb, but what did you discover about why you ate that way? I read the CAD book. Maybe I need to get the other book. Because I still can't seem to control my carb cravings. Or my will to change my lifestyle.

I know that I can do this, I just don't know how to get motivated enough! :mad:

If you get a chance I would love to hear from you! But either way, thanks for all of your time and information!!! :roll:

Libbyfcr
Wed, May-01-02, 09:08
If you can borrow the CALP book from your library you will enjoy it.

I realized that my severe cravings and some of the problems with the way I ate was NOT MY FAULT.

If you are a carbohydrate addict then it is NOT YOUR FAULT!

Think of it this way, If you have a disease then you take medication to try to correct it. If you have AIDS you take drugs to make easier to live with. If you have cancer then you might have radiation therapy to rid your body of it.

Now......if you are a carbohydrate addict what do you need to do to make your body healthy?

It gets easier and easier for me as time passes to eat the way I know I should. Sometimes I don't even think of it as being a LC meal, it just becomes breakfast...... and to me, that IS living a LC life!

Keep up the good work! Keep trying! You CAN do this!
Libby :wave: