PDA

View Full Version : Yuca is da bomb!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jim Corril
Fri, Apr-19-02, 18:11
I was shopping at my fav international produce store today when I came across some yuca. My thoughts drifted back to when some friends and I use to frequent a Columbian restaraunt in Dayton called PQ International. They use to take chunks of yuca and boil it for about 25 minutes and then deep fry it. The taste and texture was always so incrediable. Everything a potato wished it could be. I thought I would try to make it myself. Well, long story short, it turned out just like they use to make it at PQ. Now, being my older and jaded self I have come to realize a few things. One of them it that if I really like something, it is probably loaded with carbs. I tried to look up the carb count on this site but did not see it listed. Does anyone out there know the carb count of yuca? Or where I can look for it?

Thanx,

Jim :q:

slimchance
Fri, Apr-19-02, 18:19
Ask and you shall receive...

According to my Carb Counter Book...

Yuca:

boiled, drained (Freida's), 4oz.... 38.6g
frozen (Goya), 1/2 cup............. 44.0g

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Otherwise, happy LCing!!

KC :roll:

Jim Corril
Fri, Apr-19-02, 19:45
Originally posted by slimchance
Ask and you shall receive...

According to my Carb Counter Book...

Yuca:

boiled, drained (Freida's), 4oz.... 38.6g
frozen (Goya), 1/2 cup............. 44.0g

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Otherwise, happy LCing!!

KC :roll:

Hey Slim,

Thank you for the reply. I figured as much. :mad: It tasted way too damn good to be good for me. Waaaaaaaaaaa. Oh well. What is even worse, I know I had about triple the 4 ounce portion tonight so I was REALLY bad.

Thanx again,

Jim :wave:

Karen
Sat, Apr-20-02, 01:08
Yuca is AKA cassava which may be why you had trouble finding it.

It's da bomb in a high carb kind of way. Not da kind of bomb you were hoping for. ;)

Jicama is lower for one cup of sliced:

Total Carbohydrates 10.58 g
Dietary Fiber 5.88 g

And there is always the low carbers friend, daikon radish!

Karen

Jim Corril
Sat, Apr-20-02, 09:19
Originally posted by Karen
Yuca is AKA cassava which may be why you had trouble finding it.

It's da bomb in a high carb kind of way. Not da kind of bomb you were hoping for. ;)

Jicama is lower for one cup of sliced:

Total Carbohydrates 10.58 g
Dietary Fiber 5.88 g

And there is always the low carbers friend, daikon radish!

Karen

Hi Karen,

I do like jicama. It is a wonderful thing, especially in salads. I like daikon but I tried the daikon hash browns the other day and just couldn't dig on it. :( Oh well. The big bummer is making myself march into the kitchen and throw away the leftover yuca. :( Thanx for your reply.

Jim :wave: