PDA

View Full Version : Help with breakfasts

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

clodagh
Mon, Apr-15-02, 04:02
HI all, I am new and I need some advice.

I have PCOS and have been following PCOS for approx 3 weeks and have lost 6 lbs.

I am having a problem with ideas for breakfast. I just can't cook eggs during the week as I have to rush to work.

I have been eating low carb crackers with peanut butter but am no bored to death with it.

Any ideas? Also I live in Ireland so aome of the things you have in the USA don't exist here. eg. can't get low carb bread of any type.

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

thanks Clodagh

alto
Mon, Apr-15-02, 08:31
Hi, Clodagh. What about boiling some eggs at the beginning of the week and taking a couple of those and an orange to work? That works for me.

Low carb bread can be bread sliced very thin -- some American breads are nearly as thin as melba toast, and have a carb count of 7. So if you have a baker with a slicer, maybe he could slice the bread thinner for you and you could have a slice for breakfast topped with cheese.

Cottage cheese would work, too.

My breakfast problem is getting in vegetables. I do not connect vegetables to breakfast :) The plan is to make scrambles (scrambled eggs with something stirred in them) using leftover veggies from the previous day's dinner and possibly some cheese. I always think that eggs take a long time, but they really don't -- no more than 3 minutes, really, to scramble an egg. Takes me that long to saw off a slice of cheese.

Karen
Mon, Apr-15-02, 08:52
Cold meaty leftovers are perfect for breakfast. There are no rules about having to eat eggs everyday.

Karen

alto
Mon, Apr-15-02, 09:17
Re eggs, it's interesting. Schwarzbein doesn't say "Thou must eat eggs for breakfast," but nearly every one of her sample menus includes eggs (number unspecified) and in her simple outline of what she tells her patients to do, the breakfast is "eggs, a vegetable, a slice of low carb toast with butter."

Karen
Mon, Apr-15-02, 09:44
Even experts get stuck in the eggs for breakfast rut! ;)

It's probably because they want to attract people and having a hunk of cold beef for breakfast seems weird unless you are already a low carber.

Where would breakfast be at this stage of evolution if chickens laid eggs before dinner, instead of before breakfast?

Karen

JudyAH
Mon, Apr-15-02, 14:20
Meat & Cheese for breakfast with a vege always sounds good to me. I like making meat roll ups with cream cheese and munching on raw veges for crunch. It is food you can eat on the run if you are in a hurry.

:wave: Good luck

DewTal
Wed, Apr-17-02, 13:12
Clodagh,

Like Alto, I generally go with boiled eggs. I will try to get some variety by either mashing them into an egg salad the night before (try adding green onion in there), or, if you can get your eggs to peel nicely ::: grumble grumble ::: then you could make Deviled Eggs (search the web and you'll find a gazillion recipes). I add to this either celery with peanut butter or carrots/red pepper slices with cream cheese. Now that is my breakfast, which I have at work. My prebreakfast meal (please don't ask me when I get up in the mornings - I'm too embarrassed to tell you!) is cottage cheese with sour cream mixed in and either cucmber or red pepper. Also, in my more ambitious days :spin: I would cook up a scrambled egg from one of the recipies in the SP book (i.e., cheesy eggs or SF Joe's Special, except substitute ground soy for the meat as I am a vegetarian) the night before and zap it in the microwave in the morning (at work) and have it with some tomato plus a fruit. It tasted just fine to me! :)

Hope this helps. I know how difficult it can be to find quick meal ideas when you're low carbing (no more throwing a frozen low-fat pasta dish into the microwave for lunch - on the positive side, I'm not ready to eat the furniture anymore when I get home from work!). I guess it depends how slow you are in the kitchen. I'm just not a very efficient cook myself. I cook on Saturday for the week (and that includes boiling all my eggs!) and it takes me ALL DAY to get it done. But I've found it saves an immense amount of time the rest of the week.

Tal

P.S. Karen: You might remember a post from my sister, who is also low-carbing and posts more than I do, describing me as rather pathetically hung up on my hard boiled eggs! You posted some suggestions about how to cook them to try to get them to peel nicely. Thank you! I've been doing that and it's helped, although I think the eggs are just too fresh to come out perfect. Oh well, that's life. :D

clodagh
Thu, Apr-18-02, 03:29
Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Perhaps my problem is simply laziness and poor organisation! Anyway for the last 3 days I got up 15 mins earlier and actually made myself scrambled eggs etc

I must say I feel much better now mid morning that I did previously.

thanks all

Clodagh

alto
Mon, Apr-22-02, 18:23
Ah, an honest person :)

Clodagh wrote: Perhaps my problem is simply laziness and poor organisation!

I must say the same thing about myself -- and I'm glad you recognized that it's laziness AND poor organization. It doesn't take any more time to scramble an egg, or peel a boiled egg, than it does to pour a bowl of cereal and (sigh, what effort!) get out a container of milk -- not to m ention stand in a fast food line! So much of this is changing habits.

I must say I feel much better now mid morning that I did previously.

Agree also -- a nice spur to help us get organized :)