PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Some Buddies for Support?!?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lynn35
Thu, Apr-11-02, 17:52
Hi,

I am looking for others who are interested in sharing support, feedback, insight, and gentle redirection with one another on a regular basis.

I have been using the Atkins WOL since February 4, 2002 and doing a generally well. But lately I have noticed I am more likely to slip a little here and slip a little there. I know how much help it is at work to have a friend who is also doing Atkins, so I think it would help me keep on track better if I also had others here to share with regularly.

Anyone interested? Age, pounds to lose, etc. are not important to me in a Support buddy but if it is to others out there I am 35, live in South Dakota and have 40 pounds left to lose.

So...what do you say...Anyone want to jump in?

:wave: :wave: :wave:

SusanD
Thu, Apr-11-02, 20:39
Hi Lynn,

My name is Susan, I'm from Oregon and 45 years old. I have been LCing for about six months. My weight loss has been stuck at about 29lbs. for the last month or so. Even before that it had slowed to a trickle.

I am interested in some sharing, accountability and feedback. Let me know if that sounds good to you.

SusanD

athenastar
Fri, Apr-12-02, 00:02
Hi Lynn,

Just read your post and you are nearly exactly the same as me (started at 186, now at 175 and my goal is 120). I have been doing the diet since March 30, so nearly two weeks now. I know that 11 pounds is a good start, but after reading the Atkins book, it sounds like such a quick weight loss that I may have set my goals a bit high (I was hoping for 15-20 in induction and then 5 pounds after). I realize that this is going to be a long process and would be happy to exchange helpful hints and experiences with you. I just moved to a new city (milwaukee to Chicago) and I don't have any friends here. My boyfriend (whom I now live with) is very supportive. He asks my permission before eating anything tempting in front of me. He is very helpful, but it is still not the same as having someone in the same boat, going through the same thing.

Lynn35
Fri, Apr-12-02, 06:59
:roll: :roll: Very glad to meet you

Susan D and Athenastar

I am so looking forward to have someone to share with including accountability as you said Susan D. I had started off so good but I now find myself getting slack. But, today is a new day and I have new partners on my journey and this is going to be great! I have added you to my buddy list and I look forward to sharing and supporting with both of you!!!!

If I may speak for all three of us...we would love to have more people join us!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TRiggs
Fri, Apr-12-02, 08:15
I am new here too and I need a buddy too. Looks like you already have a buddy, how about another? :)

A thin me!
Fri, Apr-12-02, 08:18
Me too?????????

I do really well, and then I slip something awful.

I would like to join in --

Please let me know.

P

Lynn35
Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:49
The more the merrier!

Hop on board TRiggs and A thin me!

Between us all and anyone else who slides on in, we should be well armed for any temptations, stalls, or plateaus which come our way!

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

A thin me!
Fri, Apr-12-02, 14:05
Officially starting when???????????

Should we just post in each others' journals for support???

Let me know, and THANKS for letting me in.

P

kellyherta
Fri, Apr-12-02, 19:02
Hello everyone - I want to join in too. I'm four days into this and would love the support - Where shall we post? I have a journal of my own - maybe we should start a journal for all of us - any suggestions :confused:

athenastar
Sat, Apr-13-02, 02:12
Hi everyone,

I am so glad that there are more people out there like me. I think I may have messed up a little tonight, but I lost another pound (174). We will see what the scale says in a few days when the carbs have a chance to catch up. I have been carb-free for the most part and my worst problem with doing atkins is the "quick weight loss" that seems to be guarenteed in the book. I have been doing well, but I know in the next few weeks that if I am not losing up to my expectation I am going to have problems. I saw someone here that was at my same weight when they started that lost 22 pounds in induction and I was thinking - ok what am I doing wrong.

I did this diet about 2 years ago (September of 2000) when I was around 120 ( at 5'4) and still thought I should be skinnier (I size 2 was too big sometimes). Another attorney in my office was doing the diet and had lost a lot of weight so I decided to do it too. I lost 9 pounds in 3 days. I guess this is why I have thought I should have lost more so far. I left that job and the weight just piled on from there. It was gradual until I moved here (Chicago with my boyfriend). I was about 145 in August of 2000. I moved here in the beginning of September and the weight just piled on from there. I gained the 41 pounds in about 4 months. I have closets full of clothes that don't fit me anymore and that is what motivates me to lose. I am hopeful that I can be of help to others and others can be of help to me. I am glad we are getting a little group started. I need to keep this weight loss in perspective. Everyone is welcome. This site is the best I have come across so far. I welcome any questions or comments.

Athena

sunny37ns
Sat, Apr-13-02, 11:55
Hi everyone...I just posted ^ there for a buddy....guess I should have read further down :)
I'm definetely interested..tell me what I need to do ..pleaseeeeeee

Edwina :):):)

kellyherta
Sat, Apr-13-02, 15:11
Hello everyone - today is day 5 for me - made the waffles from the recipe that I found on this site - they were ok - probably wont make them again. Havnt really lost much weight yet - but I can say that I hant gained which is good for me. Had my thyroid removed in Jan and gained 15 pounds since then. Still working with my Dr to regulate my thyroid levels. Nice to have others I can talk to that are on the same diet. Look forward to hearing from everyone. :wave:

Lynn35
Sat, Apr-13-02, 16:29
Welcome...

kellyherta and Sunny37ns!

This is great we are now 7 strong. How would work best for everyone to show support for everyone else?

I think I will try to peruse everyone's journal regularly to provide support, feedback, and accountability and I would encourage all of you to join me in either my journal or gym log or better yet BOTH!

We can also can continue to post in this thread for updates etc.

Someone,(sorry, right now I can't remeber who) suggested starting a journal for our group, I am game for that also. What does everyone else think?

I notice athenstar, TRiggs, and Sunny37ns that you do not have journals. If you are so inclined to start one I would love to follow along with your progress, if not we all can keep in touch here!

I am so glad everyone has decided to join together to help each other out. I have already avoided a few previous traps knowing others are out there watching! It will be such fun when we can all post our threads in the success stories and I know we will all make it there.

I am a little behind in my logs and journals as fitday has been down and I rely on them heavily for keeping track of my food intake. I will do my best to catch up this weekend.

Till later, glad everyone is hear and looking forward to our journey!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Lynn35
Sat, Apr-13-02, 16:52
Hey...

I just finished perusing everyone's profile and posting in journals for those who have them. It was very interesting. We are all quite similiar and alot of us are struggling with the same challenges. I really was surprised to see just how similiar we all are.

Ain't support grand!!!

Golden Grl
Sun, Apr-14-02, 18:59
I love the idea of having a support group. That's what keeps me motivated. I will be adding some more exercise to my regime tomorrow, Monday. So I'm sure my results will be even more intense. Just let me know what I have to do.

:wave:

Malia1963
Mon, Apr-15-02, 13:25
Aloha all...
I just started Atkins 5 days ago. I have only lost 5 lb. I thought the Induction would melt off more. I to need some Atkins friends.
I am 5'7" I was at 181 Im at 176. My goal weight is 145. I am going to try to stick to it. I still am skeptical.
I hope to hear from some of you.
Mahalo!
Malia

kellyherta
Mon, Apr-15-02, 14:04
:wave: Welcome - I am day six - you have lost more than me - Good Job :thup: I havnt been sticking to the induction list of foods - I need to get out my book and read it. I also need to exercise. Glad to meet you - how is Hawaii :q: is that were you live? I am in California - the northern end - by Tahoe if you know were that is. Best of Luck - I will keep in touch -I have been at this site everyday since I started - I have a journal - you can check that out if you want - you can start your own too.
:Party:

kellyherta
Mon, Apr-15-02, 14:08
Triggs - looks like your on right now - havnt heard from you in away in our little group - how is it going? :q:

Malia1963
Mon, Apr-15-02, 14:21
Hi
Hey! It looks like you and I are about the same in our weight loss goals.
Lets keep intouch.
Hawaii is just wonderful.
Go to my profile and add me to you aol chat. If you have it.
Aloha!
Malia

kellyherta
Mon, Apr-15-02, 15:06
Hawaii

:cry: dont have aol -live in the mountains and cant get it here.

I did add you to my buddy list - looked at your profile - we have similar weight and goals -

4 kids :exclm: :exclm: :exclm: You must be busy :(

I have two and I am extremely busy - I quite work(medical management) to stay home with kids but got a little anxious while they are in school and I went back to college to become RN -in the middle of a very intense anatomy class right now - I take practice exams on the internet for my class inbetween posting on this site.

Look forward to talking to you :wave:

Malia1963
Mon, Apr-15-02, 15:30
Hi Kelly
I just quit work to stay home too! We have a lot incommon. Hey have 2 more kids and then we'll be even.
Email me sometime. I think it's in my profile.
I don't know if I should post it on here???
Hugs!
Malia

kellyherta
Mon, Apr-15-02, 15:48
Hi - your e-mail is not visible in your profile - you can private messge but I think only after you have 25 post - if that is the case I am almost there -

You can stay ahead of me on the kids - I'm trying to loose weight :exclm: :exclm: :exclm:

My youngest is 10 - it would be like starting all over - also - I am diabetic - type I - not safe

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Malia1963
Mon, Apr-15-02, 16:12
This is really just to funny.....my youngest is 10 too!!!
I hope we can e-mail soon.

Hugs!
Malia

Lynn35
Tue, Apr-16-02, 19:48
Hello everyone!

Well I have not been posting the last few days...I think I mainly have not been finding the time because I am having a very difficult time getting my eating back on track. Strange thing is I am not really sure why I got so off track. I will have to give this some serious thought as I want to learn from this. Only good news I have of late is I have managed to keep exercising during this time. But tommorrow is my day. I WILL get my eating back on track and I WILL update my gym log and journal and I WILL catch up with all of you. I wish I had asked for support earlier, maybe I would not have fallen so far off track. But I sure am glad I have all of you now!

Lynn

Lynn35
Tue, Apr-16-02, 20:14
Welcome Golden Grl and Malia1963! Glad to have you and looking forward to the journey with you! Think possibly about starting a journal. Some of us have been browsing and posting in each other's journals. I have to say for me this is really helpful for me for several reasons. I like suggestions, I feel good that someone is interested enough to look in on me and it just feels good to see someone has posted for you. Just a thought it is completely up to you!

Athenastar, have not heard from you in a while, how are you?

Lynn

Golden Grl
Tue, Apr-16-02, 20:53
Lynn35, I just haven't had the time to really start up my journal. I've been so busy. I just got home before posting this. That gives you an idea of how busy I am. :daze: I will be starting my journal very soon. It's a great idea. BTW, I have the same name as you....only it is with an "e".

Lynne
AKA Golden Grl

kellyherta
Tue, Apr-16-02, 20:53
:daze: :spin: :roll:

Hello everyone - today is day 7 - Lynn - glad your back - missed you :cry: you have lost too much weight to leave this -thanks for all the support - I have not lost anymore weight but have also not gained - I know that I am still hypothyroid, following my thyroid removal - will probably be having my meds bumped up when I see my dr the firt week of may - till then I will be delighted with not gaining any wegiht - still dealing with the shock of a 15 pound weight gain in one month following the surgery - best of luck to everyone. :wave:

Malia1963
Tue, Apr-16-02, 22:22
Ok so here it is......... I lost that one pound I gained and today....I fell off the wagon! Yep! I sure did. And it hurt! I ate 1/2 apple bowl of honey nut cherrios, toast, popcorn mini cakes.
The really,really sad thing about it is I was not really craving it. I just did it. :(
Im soooooooo stupid!!!!!!!!
Someone needs to get over here and kick me in the a__!!!

Malia <<<---- Dummy!!!

kellyherta
Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:02
Hawaii -

:nono: :bash: :Puke:

Thats as closs as I can come to a kick in the a.......

Feel better now?

Know all that done - back to work - I was feeling really discourgaed the other day and I thought to myself - this is day 6 - you have been carrying this around for years and you want this all off after 6 days of hard work???!!!!!!! I dont think so -

So - I have two choices - go back - feel depressed - be not happy with myself - or.............stick to this.............

Hawaii - you can do it :D :D :D

whenever I think about eating somthing wrong, -I think about how I will feel when I am done and decide if it is worth it.......

Hang in there :exclm:

P.S. saw a post from you and you were asking about whats her names diet - oh ya...Suzanne's I saw that there is a forum on this site regarding it - under all the different diets - i did not look at it or anything, but you might - think you can have fruit on that one - I suppose living in Hawaii -fruit is hard to resist......

Kelly

Malia1963
Wed, Apr-17-02, 12:12
Hi
Mahalo for all the insite! I needed it.
The doughnut I ate this morning was way to sweet and it made me sick. lol Don't even think of going off Atkins. It will make you really sick!
Tomorrow is a new day for me. :)
Chin up my frined!

Aloha!
Malia

CarolK
Wed, Apr-17-02, 13:33
As great a low carb is, having good support is crucial.

Sure, let's get together and achieve success.

I tried to send you a private message, but it didn't work for me. Will try again later. I just registered and maybe it takes a bit for private message part to kick in.

Make it a good day!!!

Carol

kellyherta
Wed, Apr-17-02, 14:22
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Hello and welcome carol - looks like you are summersizing? - Hawaii in our group had some quesitons about that -maybe you can tell her how it is working - just post a message here to her. You cant send private messages until you have posted 25 times - best of luck and once again welcome. :cool:
kelly

Firmdiva
Wed, Apr-17-02, 17:28
I started last week and I am doing CALP/LC. The first week was tough and I fell off the wagon this weekend. I am back on now and feeling like I could kick some booty! I would love to join :)

Lynn35
Sat, Apr-20-02, 09:45
Hey,

Welcome Carol and Jill. Glad to have you on board.

I have already found the new support extremely helpful.

Just wondering how Athena, Lynne, and Malia are doing? When you have time, leave us a post and let us know.

Happy LC'ing!

Lynn

A thin me!
Sun, Apr-21-02, 13:20
Hi Group Members!!!!

Thought I would drop in and read all the posts to see what is going on.

Everyone sounds so positive and that is so important on this WOL. Keep it up..... it really helps. I will poking around in some of your journals to leave personal notes.

Day 4 for me and no cheats....... it is so hard, but with each day it gets better and better.

Keep up the great work,

Pam

LORI JO
Tue, Apr-23-02, 10:18
Y'all have room for one more? I feel really comfortable here!

I've been on Atkins one week and have lost 8 pounds so far. I even like water!

I've been trying to post in my journal, but a full-time job, teen and pre-teen kids, and trying to exercise 7 days a week leaves me moments to jot in my journal. I'm trying, though!

Let me know what I need to do, please!

Hoping to hear from you soon -

Lori Jo :rheart: