PDA

View Full Version : to Lurkers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Thu, Jan-18-01, 08:40
hey YOU,

:eek:

Okay, now that I have your attention, how about doing this? Click on the "Post Reply" button at the top (and bottom too) of this message thread). Press the following keys on your keyboard H-E-L-L-O.

Just my way of saying I look forward to meeting you!

Doreen

Sadai
Thu, Jan-18-01, 11:00
Hi All
Just to quick note to say HELLO and let you know that I am still hanging in here. I am currently at a total loss of 13 pounds, slow going for me.. I am wondering if anyone has tried to use Chitosan (a fat absorber) with this WOE and did it help???

Karen
Thu, Jan-18-01, 11:31
Hi Sadai

Why don't you post your menu for a few days then we can give you a hand with suggestions. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Generally the more weight you have to lose the faster the process is initially.

As for Chitosan, the product is snake oil. This is a low-carb, not low fat (although veterans may have to do some adjusting) way of eating. If you want to part with money, send it to your favourite charity. ;)

Karen

Sadai
Fri, Jan-19-01, 01:49
Thanks Karen, I do have a lot to lose I started at 240 the end of November and am at 227 now. I like your idea about posting my menu to see where my problem might be. Is there someplace specific that I should post to?? Anyway I will tell you what I had for today.

breakfast - nothing

Lunch - 2 small palm size minute steaks
palmful green beans

Supper - 2 weiners
w/ 4 tbsp of sugar free cranberry sauce
1 slice feta cheese

doreen T
Fri, Jan-19-01, 08:58
Um, if this is kinda typical, and I recall a message from before Christmas that this is so, my feeling is that you are not lowcarbing. You are eating an Extremely Low Calorie Diet, and any weight loss is because you have lost some water (initially, but who needs it anyway?), some fat tissue, and lean muscle as well. The body will adapt to this quite nicely, slow your metabolism right down to starvation mode - the weight loss will stop, because your body is now able to function nicely on fewer calories and less food. The body is amazingly adaptive, look how it manages every morning, often a very physical time with kids, etc..... and we don't give it any fuel from 6 pm until noon the next day. Hmmmmmmm.... I'm trying to avoid "lecture mode". Eating breakfast is a HABIT, that can be learned. There's no such thing as "can't", just "I choose not to". You could probably keep adjusting your calorie intake downward, eating less and less food, and your body will respond with a 10 lb or so loss, then adapt and plateau. And so on, and so on.

At least you are eating protein when you do eat! Good.

Here's the nutrient breakdown of your day's intake :

breakfast - nothing (do you not have some coffee or decaf., maybe with a little cream? - the fat wouldn't hurt)

Lunch - 2 small palm size minute steaks (approx. 3 oz each - 300 cal, 45 gm prot, 12 gm fat, 0 carb)
palmful green beans (1/2 cup - 25 cal, 1.2 prot, 4.9 carb, 2.0 fiber)

Supper - 2 weiners (assuming standard 10 per lb. size - 280 cal, 10 gm prot, 26 gm fat, 2 carbs)
w/ 4 tbsp of sugar free cranberry sauce (30 cal, 0.2 prot, 7 carbs)
1 slice feta cheese (1 oz - 80 cal, 5 prot, 6 fat, <1 carb)

TOTALS - 715 cal, 51.4 gm prot, 44 gm fat, 14.4 carbs, 2 gm fiber

- Anything under 1,200 cal per day will invoke starvation mode (your metabolism will slow). As time goes on, and your body keeps adapting, it will take fewer and fewer calories to force your body into "save our fat cells" mode. This is exactly what you DON'T want.

- An average sedentary woman requires a minimum of 60 gm protein per day, spread out. If you are larger frame, or physically active, you need more. Protein isn't just needed to "build muscles". The body needs protein to make its hormones, brain chemicals, enzymes, tissues, organs etc - as you know, all cells and tissues live, die and must be replaced on a regular basis. If we don't consume enough protein, our body will consume US (ie, our muscles) to get what it needs.

- You are certainly well below Induction carb level of 20 carb grams per day. Atkins only recommends this extreme low level for 2 weeks.

- 2 gm fiber?? Are you taking a fiber supplement, such as psyllium or sugar-free Metamucil to keep the bowel happy??

- think of the low protein, high fat, high salt, high nitrate content of weiners next time the kids want a snack. Some of the turkey or chicken weiners are a bit better in this department.

- water, or other carb-free, calorie free fluids?? How are you flushing out the ketones and metabolic waste products?

================================================

Suggestion -

1. Start eating more quality protein. Invent ways to have some protein (20 gm would be ideal) within 2 or 3 hrs of rising in the morning. Meat roll-ups are fast "finger food" - roll a slice or two of good ham or turkey breast around a finger of cheese, or a with thin smear of cream cheese wrap around a dill pickle, carrot or celery stik, etc. Investigate the lowcarb whey or soy protein shake mixes, very fast - a handful of frozen strawberries adds less than 5 carbs and 2 gm fiber. Here are more fast ideas for using them (thanks Judi) http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=282 , 2 hard-boiled eggs dipped in seasoned mayo. Small portion of meat leftover from supper. ETc....

2. What program are you following?? Sounds like you're just trying to cut down, without really having a plan in mind? ALL of the lowcarb programs provide sound, healthy, quick menus to imitate. Get your hands on your very own copy of "The Book", whichever one it is that you choose.

Read through my Tips and FAQ for more suggestions. http://www.lowcarber.org/tips/tips004.html and http://www.lowcarber.org/tips/tips005.html also, Karen Barnaby's great ideas for fast, quick lowcarb menus http://www.lowcarber.org/tips/tips001.html It would really be good to also buy yourself your very own copy of a good food counts book, one that lists calories and protein grams, not just carbs. Corrine Netzer's "the Complete Book of Food Counts" is excellent, 5th ed. just published in 2000 so it's up-to-date, under $10.

3. There are no sources of good unsaturated fatty acids in your menu (oils from plants) such as olive or canola oil, flax, nuts etc. Fresh dairy butter and egg yolks are not the killers the media and margarine manufacturers want you to think. Butter contains butyric acid, which increase the GOOD cholesterol. Egg yolks contain lecithin, lowers cholesterol and triglycerides. Bumping up your intake of good fat will help bring up your calories to a safer level. Good fats will ensure beautiful skin and hair, and provide satiety from meal to meal.

4. Yes, it's possible you may have an initial "gain" as you adjust your eating pattern. Your body will be rebuilding the muscle and protein stores it lost. Give it a couple weeks, then you'll be on track. After all, you've been a couple months not really having overwhelming success as it is. It's normal to want to see results right away, we're so sick of being overweight. But trying to "hurry things along" will only backfire in the long run. You'll do fine!! ARe you following an exercise regimen too? That would help. Doesn't have to be exotic or expensive. Dancing for 1/2 an hr around the living room with your baby every day is lots of fun! And winter will soon be over, get out and push that stroller up a few hills! ... :eek:

Well, I wasn't going to lecture, was I? I'll shut up now. I have to go eat breakfast, since it's been over 2 hrs that I've been up, and I've only had 2 coffees (with cream).

take care Sandi,

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 19-01-01 at 10:01]

Sadai
Fri, Jan-19-01, 11:58
Hi Doreen and Happy New year!! Thanks so much for all the info you passed on. Lots a great ideas, I never would have thought of and I can use all the help I can get.

I guess I should have mentioned that yesterday was not my typical eating regime but the result of having no groceries. I was out of everything and rather than cheat I went without! I know very missleading.:( However today I began the day with 2 eggs and 4 sausages..cooked in olive oil with a big glass of water to wash down numorous vitamins. And no, I don't drink coffee, occasionally tea. I am also happy to say that I am down 2 more lbs this morning putting me at a 15lb total loss. I should also mention that I use my clothes as a way of telling, they are definately getting looser, so I try not to pay much attention to the scale. I have a pair of pants that I keep trying on and when I get into them I will get another smaller pair. It works for me. As for exercise I am even incorporating that by pushing my little one in his stroller to the grocery store. I have done this daily for a week now. Feels Good!
I will keep posting my menus till I feel confident that I am doing things right. Do I post on this board or is there somewhere specific that you do this??
Also FYI I am on the Atkins Plan and I am usually burning burgundy or the next one down on the sticks, I check it daily.
Take care Doreen and Thanks again for your help and advice.
Sandi

[Edited by Sadai on 19-01-01 at 13:07]

Jake
Fri, Jan-19-01, 15:34
Now you see there, you shamed me right into logging in!

H-E-L-L-O :)

Jake

doreen T
Fri, Jan-19-01, 18:17
No shame at all! Glad to meet you and say hello. I love it.

happy lowcarbing,
from Doreen

pookbird
Wed, Jan-24-01, 16:34
Hi Dorreen..
I am new to the site and am really enjoying it.. My only regret is that there is no chat room to talk to people on the low carb diet (live I guess you'd say)
Kim

LittleRo
Fri, Feb-02-01, 12:11
Hello Doreen, I am new to this board and wish to tell you hello. I have been lo-carbing for about a week now due to a suggestion from my doctor. I have hypothyroidism and gained weight due to misdiagnosis of depression despite telling him I wasn't depressed. Have been following a low fat diet but have lost 1 pound in 5 months despite heavy exercising. Doctor suggested Atkins to get rid of health problems I was having on the lo-fat diet. (Constipation, bloating, excessive gas, heartburn, etc.) Happy to say after 3 days on Atkins, all health complaints are gone. Will update you on my progress.

Rochelle

tamarian
Fri, Feb-02-01, 12:34
Hi Rochelle,

Weclome to our forum. Sounds like you found an open-minded doctor! Seems like more and more doctors are opeining up to this life style, after a decade or two of misinformation!

Wa'il

Liz
Tue, Feb-06-01, 22:07
Great to find this forum. I've been visiting the lowcarbdiet.com site and appreciated the help experienced lowcarbers can give. But it's very nice to find a local site where I can ask questions from fellow Vancouverites (I'm assuming that since Karen is here). Compliments to Tamarian for a superb looking webpage. Very attractive to view and easy to move around in. I've been on induction for almost a month and have learned to be patient. One thing is puzzling and maybe more experienced folk can explain. I've lost 11 lbs in the 3 1/2 weeks and then this morning on scale had gone back up 3. Maybe too much salt, fluid retention? A bit of a setback, not to mention suprise. Second thing, I've been in high ketosis since the beginning. Atkins talks about metabolic resisters (haven't got the book handy, but it's something like that). Does that refer to those who lose weight slowly (it seems to) and/or those who don't go into ketosis easily. As I say, I'm in solid high (dark purple) ketosis and yet don't seem to lose all that quickly. I've got about 50 lbs to lose and that seems to indicate weight loss should be reasonably fast. I got the impression from the book that if you're in ketosis that automatically means you're losing weight.

tamarian
Tue, Feb-06-01, 23:08
Hi Liz. Welcome and thanks for the kind words. This "thing" started in Vancouver, but it's growing to include everyone.

Actually you've done quite well for 3 weeks! Congrats. Best thing to do is to ignore weight fluctuation, and focus on fat loss! Use a measuring tape, and notice changes in cloths fit. Keto sticks don't need to be dark. Make sure you eat enough as many beginners try to eat as little as possible, still thinking in terms of calories, which end up slowing their metabolism.

Wa'il

Rab
Thu, Feb-08-01, 00:03
H E L L O

Still lurking about ............. Happy Low-Carbing All !!

doreen T
Thu, Feb-08-01, 12:16
Originally posted by Norma June
Doreen? Somebody ... anybody? I need help. Norma June

hi Norma June ... :)

I gotcha covered; directions are on their way.

Hope your vacation is awesome, but I bet you're missing all the snow and ice ..... NOT .. :D

take care,
Doreen

Spoiled Rotten
Wed, Feb-14-01, 13:36
But emptyhanded! Smile...Could be worse, I could be toting a delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie full of Carbs!

Hi Guys, Want you to know I love your site, I appreciate you all having this here for us.

I love the q&a's, all the posts, such a great place to be.

So, just wanted to say hello and thanks!

Happy Valentines Day!

doreen T
Wed, Feb-14-01, 14:56
:cool: .. Welcome aboard, - glad you found us.

On the subject of chocolate chip cookies, do check out our members' recipe page - in the dessert section, you'll find a yummy lowcarb version, as well as cheesecakes and lowcarb Nanaimo bars too.

You're partway to goal weight I see. Congrats on the lbs. already lost. Which program are you following?? Lots of folks here are doing Atkins, a fair number of Protein Power devotees, and some CAD'ers as well.

Have fun exploring the whole site, there's lots of info. And post often, I hear it's great for the weight loss ..;)

happy lowcarbing,
Doreen

p.s. - your nickname just begs an explanation!! 'Fess up.

Spoiled Rotten
Thu, Feb-15-01, 09:31
Thanks for the welcoming. :)

I am an Atkid! I am currently on Day 44, so my loss has been slow...

I gave in a couple times to being bad...too many carbs, due to frustration, but I have been back on the wagon.

I was just disappointed, no sign on the sticks, being very good with the carbs..(even hidden ones)...so I CHEATED!

I read, and reread the articles etc...and my motivation returns....

I am PATIENT *hands on hips*...LOL, I will look good by my birthday in June...! LOL

Now as for the Handle.....I am just spoiled, My own doing of course...WE women deserve it!!

I was deciding whether to use that ~Spoiled~ (handle used elsewhere) or use my TAG....You would of definately asked then what that meant...~I DID NOT~ Laughing...

Have a great day Doreen :)

doreen T
Thu, Feb-15-01, 10:00
My birthday is June too, I thought I could spot another Gem.

I am struggling along with similar things ..... I've re-thought my goal for June ... more realistic..... Thinking more in terms of mini-goals, like a pound a week, or say average 4 to 5 lbs a month, and use something decadent like new lingerie, or new earrings as a reward, rather than a carb-laden blowout.

There are a number of other members are in the same boat ... where are you all? and how are you doing? .... we can all sure use a group "Rah-rah" .. :p

Take care, we all look forward to reading more posts of your success.

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 15-02-01 at 11:28]