PDA

View Full Version : Fiber

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jeanner
Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:58
Okay,

How on earth do you get 25g of fiber a day? Please lemme in on the secret. I've tried and tried and cannot get anywhere near that amount without majorly upping my carbs! Right now I manage 15g daily. I looked at the store but all of those are jelloey and have added carbs, sugar etc! Besides the awful taste.

I eat my veggies as well as sunflower seeds, almonds, and macadamia nuts. :roll:

razzle
Tue, Apr-09-02, 10:44
Jeanner, you got me! lol--I never could figure that out either! Now I'm eating 40-50 g of ECC carbs a day and can get 20 g of fiber...but if you're still at 30 g, 15 g fiber is pretty impressive. Raw leafy greens are best for fiber ratios--a cup of raw spinach has "3 g carb" of which 2 are fiber, for instance = 1 g digestible carb + 2 g fiber. Keep up the nuts and seeds--they give you not only the fiber but other great nutrients. :)

As long as you're "regular," I don't think you need to fret. There are mixed opinions on how useful fiber is for health, anyway, with some evidence saying more fiber is not all that good for you.

tlawson
Wed, Apr-10-02, 10:38
Jeanner,

If you feel that you need more fiber, you can try taking psyllium - can either get the husks and add to water, or they come in a capsule (I think this is much more appetizing!). You have to remember to increase your water if you take the psyllium because they can actually make you constipated (if you can believe it!). But if you're regular on the fiber that you get from your veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Theresa

mariflo
Wed, Apr-10-02, 15:12
This is what I do on the morning, almost every morning I love it

My fake Cream of wheat

3 tbs of flaxseed ground in a coffee grounder
1/2 C of fiber one cereal ground in a coffee grounder
1 scoop of protein shake carb solution
1/2 C of water or more
I egg
substitute of sugar or DaVinci sirup
Cinamon

In a pot put my egg mix well put all my dry ingredient then put water and mix well and cook for about 5-7 min, you can put more water to give the look of the cream of wheat.

Right now you have 25 g of fiber.

Carbs around 15
did substrac the fiber from the carbs.

This is delicious

Mariflo