PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid to eat carbs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alto
Sun, Apr-07-02, 17:52
Becca made a comment on the "switching from Atkins to PP" thread that I thought might spark a discussion, so I'm stealing it to post here :) She wrote, "When you first started, were you afraid to eat any carbs? "

I've had this problem. I think I still have an Atkins Induction mindset. The only thing allowed is meat and salad vegetables. Also, I do best on a very prescribed regime. I'm all or nothing, when dieting is concerned. (I know this is bad.)

Do people use the menu suggestions ("carbohydrate complements" I think the PPLP book calls them?

I have tried to add back carbs -- a doctored oatmeal (doctored with powdered egg whites, and flax meal, and almonds to up the fiber and reduce the carbs), and some low carb bread (7 grams a slice). I maintained and didn't lose.

What is your experience with this?

beccaw
Sun, Apr-07-02, 18:12
Thanks for starting this discussion. I was talking to a friend and she said to just add the fiber carbs.....because they were the best for you...so I have been trying to look up things like kidney beans, oatmeal, wheat products, etc. to see if I could deal with that. But...I agree about needing a stricter regimen! Of course we will get to the bottom of this! :eek:

Natrushka
Sun, Apr-07-02, 19:01
I was petrified at first, but I realized that during my first week of LC, before I'd heard about Atkins or found this website I was eating close to 40g of carbs a day and losing. I added more veggies, some berries and some whole milk yoghurt with active cultures in and noticed no change in loss. I'd also done quite a bit of research on carbs and exercise and realized that if I wanted to maintain a rather intense level of exercise more carbs were in order.

Having berries w/ yoghurt, eating cottage cheese with low GI fruits and enjoying the odd potato skin smoothered in cheese has become old hat after many months. Like everything, there are degrees to LC. Breaking free of a low fat / calorie restricted mindset was tough, comparatively speaking adding in a few carbs wasnt anywhere near as hard.

PP works.. trust in it. Just like you had to trust that high fat and adequate protein worked :)

Nat

Karen
Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:29
I don't eat anything in that category - well, there are those binge moments when I'll eat all sorts of nasty bits. ;)

I once tried hot flax oatmeal and I just wanted to eat more and more of it. I had one Wasa cracker, and it turned into six. So, yes, I am afraid of carbs, very afraid.

I eat a few berries now and then, but I have to watch that too. Even artificial sweetener can throw me into a frenzy. I sometimes wish I wasn't an addict, but it's been sooo character building. ;)

Karen

Natrushka
Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:33
Karen, I tend to forget about the addiction part ! It's not something that effects me, although I know from watching that it's an issue for John. I guess it all depends on just what your relationship is with them - I am afraid of cigarettes, though *sigh*

Nat

Karen
Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:41
Yep! It does thoroughly suck. You're blessed not to have any trigger foods.

I do have a very good relationship with meat however. Not co-dependent at all LOL! When were together it's great. And when we're not, I'm still the same!

Karen

Banana
Mon, Apr-08-02, 05:38
Hi there Nat and Karen, I have a question for both of you. I'm following Atkins at the moment but would like to investigate PP. I'd like to buy at least one of them, rather than get from the library as I'm sure I'll want to keep referring to them.

However, the question is should I buy PPLP and borrow PP from the library, or are they both different enough to each other to buy both of them? :q:

PS the library doesn't have PPLP as it's not been released in UK edition yet only US I think.

Re the issue on afraid to eat carbs, I'm having the same problem :( . I can't seem to get my carbs above 25g if I do they come from bread that I've made (Gabi's recipe!) 3g per slice or nuts, not sure but this may be slowing down my loss :mad: . But I'd like to increase the carbs from other sources like other veg and fruit which I currently don't eat, which is why I'm interested in PP.

Thanks guys, you are all a real source of good information on this forum, I'd be lost without you all.

Banana
:wave:

Karen
Mon, Apr-08-02, 08:00
I would start with PP to get the nuts and bolts of the program, and read PPLP later.

As for the bread, you may do just fine with it. What I find for myself is the things that I dwell upon are the things I should avoid.

Karen

Jeanner
Mon, Apr-08-02, 08:16
I find myself having a very hard time with the carb-eating. I try to get to 30 a day and am lucky to make 20-25. Last week I lost much in inches daily. And now that has stopped altogether! I would be very interested in an example of Nat's daily meals to see where I could adjust mine.

Also I am AFRAID of cigarettes....I quit smoking 3 months ago. Back then I was only 17 lbs. from my goal weight. :rolleyes: Anyway my health is better now because of not smoking. :roll:

razzle
Mon, Apr-08-02, 10:32
as long as the carbs are paleo, I'm not afraid of them at all.

I've just run a month+ long experiment on eating as many veggies as I could shove down, and I had a hard time getting over 40 g of those--and I keep having an urge to challenge the carb phobic to put no limits at all on their LC veggies and see what happens! I do have trigger foods, but all but one are neolithic foods (cashews is the exception--I can eat a half pound of those at a sitting, where no other nut appeals to me that much). Eating my paleo + cheese way, I just don't see how I could possibly ingest over 60 g of carbs in a day--I don't like fruit all that much.

Getting the carbs up seemed to not slow my loss (hard to tell for sure, as I'm weighing rarely and losing slowly anyway), but for me, the added health benefit of veggies outweighs weight loss. If the cost of being a size 8 were eating only a cup of salad per day, I wouldn't choose that--I'd stay a 12 and be healthy. (wow, what sane person is saying that? lol)

But my neurotic confession as a PPLP near-purist is this: my grocery store was out of organic eggs last week, and though I bought regular eggs, every time I eat one I'm horrified at the thought! :rolleyes: I'm sure a dozen non-free-range eggs are not gonna kill me, so I need to get over this. Of course, my next dozen eggs are going to be organic, even if I have to shop half way across town!

herfields
Mon, Apr-08-02, 18:55
Originally posted by Banana
Hi there Nat and Karen, I have a question for both of you. I'm following Atkins at the moment but would like to investigate PP. I'd like to buy at least one of them, rather than get from the library as I'm sure I'll want to keep referring to them.

However, the question is should I buy PPLP and borrow PP from the library, or are they both different enough to each other to buy both of them? :q:

PS the library doesn't have PPLP as it's not been released in UK edition yet only US I think.

Re the issue on afraid to eat carbs, I'm having the same problem :( . I can't seem to get my carbs above 25g if I do they come from bread that I've made (Gabi's recipe!) 3g per slice or nuts, not sure but this may be slowing down my loss :mad: . But I'd like to increase the carbs from other sources like other veg and fruit which I currently don't eat, which is why I'm interested in PP.

Thanks guys, you are all a real source of good information on this forum, I'd be lost without you all.

Banana

herfields
Mon, Apr-08-02, 18:57
Originally posted by Banana

Banana

I would recommend first buying only Protein Power, because it explains so much. I continue to refer to Protein Power, and only occasionally to Protein Power Lifestyle. Good luck!

Banana
Tue, Apr-09-02, 06:35
Thanks,

I've ordered both as I can't wait!

Banana

Karen
Tue, Apr-09-02, 09:12
I've just run a month+ long experiment on eating as many veggies as I could shove down, and I had a hard time getting over 40 g of those--and I keep having an urge to challenge the carb phobic to put no limits at all on their LC veggies and see what happens!

I completely agree razzle! When I first started PP, I never worried about the LC vegetables I was eating, but I rarely ate any dairy products and very few eggs.

The combinations of vegetables and proteins within the 30 gram limit were outstanding!

Karen

lissylou73
Wed, May-08-02, 22:49
I am afraid to eat carbs as well. I am almost to the point of obsession. I hate the guilt I feel if I eat any carbs. Some days I may be lucky if I eat 10 g of carbs, and then other days (like today) I go overboard. Then, I end up hating myself the rest of the day.

I feel like I've gained all my weight back because I have IBS and bloat from the tiniest bit of carbs. The IBS is the reason I am on this diet. I was to the point that my stomach would bloat about 3 inches after every meal. I looked pregnant all the time and my jeans were always tight :eek: But, the PP diet has done miracles for my IBS. I just wish my will-power would be in control everyday. Sorry to rant....it's been a bad day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Melissa

P.S. I am also afraid of cigarettes!

Banana
Thu, May-09-02, 06:43
Hi there Melissa,

Don't get yourself all in a tizz over this! It's not worth it! The great thing with LC is that it is so adaptable, it's a WOL so what if one day you blow it, just get straight back on the wagon and you'll be fine. :)

Actually since I last posted in this thread I have managed to up my carbs, it's actually real easy once you eat a little extra fruit!!! :D I agree with razzle, you can't eat enough veggies and salad to get over the limit. Just fill your plate up on those! :p

As for cigarettes, well you've got to WANT to give them up in order for that to work. When your WILL takes over, that's very strong and should see you through. The trouble starts when you know you should give up, but actually ...you quite like it and only feel you should give up because it's bad for you!!!!! Know what I mean???? :rolleyes:

I was one of those fortunate ones. I started keeping company with people who didn't smoke, so pretty soon I just plain forgot to smoke anymore! :D

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up over it!

Banana

Bloom
Mon, May-13-02, 21:58
Im so thrilled to have 'found' this thread :yay:
Ive done 12 weeks of Atkins now and lost well with the carbs below 20 grams mostly coming from veg (I also ate cheese and cream), no fruit or grain. When I upped them I added nuts, a few berries and a teensy bit of grain all at once which i now know was not the brightest idea. They add up soo darn quick too with all that variety.
KAREN just like you when i got onto that flaxmeal i wanted 2 bowls 3 blows more till i felt stuffed!! :rolleyes: I was looking forward to my next bowl and the alarm bells went off :(
I cut carbs back to under 20 again in a mad panick but i am really wanting more veg :rolleyes: What you are all saying is music to my ears as im planning to just up the vegies (LC) and see if cravings are held at bay. I get done at all with induction.
I have just had another nasty run in with my addictive cravings after thinking i could get away with some garlic bread on mothers day :o , how quickly I forget its grip on me :( , its not just a simple matter of moving on either :( its a hard struggle for a few days afterwards that Im just comming though. Refined carbs turn me batty :daze:

doingwell
Tue, May-28-02, 05:55
Hi Everyone at this post.

I have been on Atkins for several months and am STILL stalled. I have tried everything, all the tweaking that all of you have suggested, extra exercise hasn't worked for me. I, too, am considering moving to PP but am disappointed that the OWL hasn't worked and now have to go to yet another plan. I was hoping I could finally stick to one plan. Oh well, I seem to be in good company!

Any suggestions on how I can move successfully from Atkins to PP without gaining? That would bum me totally! I, too, am afraid of adding carbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your support!

lossiebeth
Tue, May-28-02, 07:07
THIS THREAD IS JUST *ME*! (SORRY FOR ALL CAPS, BTW-M.S., NUMB HANDS, YADDA, YADDA).

I HAVE BEEN ON ATKINS SINCE MARCH, LOST 9 POUNDS DURING INDUCTION, THEN HAVE GONE DOWN, UP, DOWN EVER SINCE. I AM CURRENTLY 1 POUND DOWN FROM WHAT I LOST ON INDUCTION BUT AM COMING UP TO T.O.M.

I FIND THAT IF I EAT *ANYTHING* OVER THE 20 CARBS, I SEEM TO GO UP; CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THAT. THIS CONCEPT THAT I CAN EAT *LOTS* OF LC VEGETABLES SOUNDS *AMAZING*! I SPENT ENOUGH YEARS AS A VEGETARIAN (EVEN A VEGAN) TO REALLY LOVE MY VEG.

MY COPY OF "PROTEIN POWER" JUST ARRIVED FROM AMAZON, SO I MUST GO HAVE A GOOD READ TO SEE WHAT IS WHAT.

THERE SEEM TO BE QUITE A FEW PEOPLE WHO HAVE GONE FROM ATKINS TO PP; I WONDER IF THERE IS AN EQUAL NUMBER WHO GO THE OTHER WAY :confused: MAYBE I AM JUST LOOKING FOR A QUICK FIX...

THANKS FOR BEING HERE.

Banana
Tue, May-28-02, 09:46
Hi all,

Unfortunately, there is no miracle solution. I did up my carbs as I mentioned previously a few weeks ago, but the weight loss slowed down to the point I got a little frustrated and wanted to start things going again. I dropped my carbs back down to 20ish, but I also started to take 1 tbsp of flaxoil ever morning with cottage cheese and raspberries, then a week ago I learned about the Fat Flush Plan from Mila (she has a very interesting journal here! :thup: ) and started to drink the 'life long cocktail' of flaxmeal in water every am and pm, and hot water with lemon juice just before breakfast.

Over the past two weeks with all these things added I've lost 4lbs :D , which is a real increase for me to say the least as I was not even loosing 1lb per week prior to that. Anyway, I don't know whether it was the decrease in carbs or the other bits, or both that kickstarted the loss again, but I am eating loads of veggies and salads which I love and I'm increasing the carbs slowly again.

It's all trial and error, you've got to find a way that suits you, for me, I just can't get the fats down below 70% so Atkins seems to be the best suited to me at the moment. Oh another thing I did, was decrease my calories slightly to just over the 10x mark, whereas before I was sometimes going well over my 12x weight, so that probably helped speed things up as well, although there are odd days when the calories are up in the 2000's just to fool my body! :p

Anyway, it's interesting to read all the different plans, I'm reading The Schwarzbein Principle at the moment, that takes a different slant to low-carbing yet again, but I think this is more for maintenance for me as the weight loss is somewhat slower because the carbs are higher than on Atkins. Having said that you could work your way up on the carb ladder, making sure you eat sufficient protein , veggies and good oils with each meal, and then I wouldn't know whether I was doing PP, Atkins or TSP!!!!!!! (OK there are subtle differences ;) , but they are subtle! once you get further down the line).

Anyway as long as the trend is down, I don't mind. What I'm thinking about now is maintenance, how with I do that? That's going to be yet another adventure to find out the balance of all the nutrients for me.

Oh well, it's all fun and the food is great, so enjoy it everyone.

All the best.

Ivana :wave:

ShaneiceL
Tue, May-28-02, 23:02
HI there!

I tend to agree with Karen in that I am an addict so I try to stay away from any carb foods that might trigger a binge. If I had a Wasa cracker i'm sure that it would turn into 6 crackers. Knowing this problem, this addiction, helps me to avoid such food altogether. It's still a learning process though and I have learned that being more strict with myself works for me.

Again, just my 2 cents :p

Truesilver
Sat, Jun-01-02, 20:55
I'm an addict and it's hard to stay away from those carbs. Lifelong habits are difficult to break.

Last weekend I had a few more stressors than usual and ended up eating 2 dozen doughnuts, ice cream, and some other things. I am thankful I didn't pay for it in pounds but I seem to be at a plateau of 211 right now, so I probably should have and lucked out. That actually makes sense as I weighed 210 for many years before going up to my max weight later.

If I try to eat just one bowl of cold cereal, it usually ends up being three... overflowing ones. They're not sugary cereals but there's not much difference in carb content. I've used Splenda as a sweetener, but that doesn't really count when it's on all those carbs, does it?

Oh, by the way, the bulk/box form of Splenda is better because it has no dextrose, whereas the packets do. They both have maltodextrin but that has a negligible effect on blood sugar levels.

- Erik

lossiebeth
Sun, Jun-02-02, 03:02
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT CEREAL. BEFORE I STARTED LC'ING, FOR BREAKFAST I'D HAVE A BOWL OF SHREDDED WHEAT WITH UNSWEETENED SOYA MILK, THEN A PIECE OF BUTTERED TOAST. NOT A SUGAR MOLECULE TO BE FOUND, BUT ALL THOSE CARBS! :eek:

eating 2 dozen doughnuts, ice cream, and some other things
:Puke: I'M SORRY, BUT ALL THAT SUGAR AND GRAIN AND FAT TOGETHER MAKES ME FEEL ILL JUST THINKING ABOUT IT! I USED TO BE ABLE TO EAT UP TO A DOZEN DONUTS, BUT ALWAYS FELT NAUSEOUS AND HUNGRY AT THE SAME TIME AFTERWARDS. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY I COULD EAT SO MUCH SHITE AND STILL BE HUNGRY. I AM SO GLAD YOU DON'T SEEM TO HAVE SUFFERED FOR IT. I WOULD HAVE HAD SUCH A SUGAR HANGOVER! :daze: YUCK!

I HATE SUGAR :mad: I AM AVOIDING IT, AND GRAINS, AND ALL STARCHES...LIKE A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE JUST NOW (FOR ME THEY PRETTY MUCH ARE) . LONG MAY THAT CONTINUE!

Fumih_81
Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:32
Recently I have been in touch with those complex carbs and simply feels uneasy the next day after a night of free eating.

been thru a friend's bbq gathering, plus pizzas on Father's Day...certainly i have a guilt or a fear abt myself. i knew that i certainly ate too much carbs that will waste my efforts of adapting a LC lifestyle....it has become 2nd nature to me whenever i eat those evil carbs. i may think what kind of health hazards that will come on the next day and such.

but as what others say, we got to customise our own LCing...and thats when i always return to my wagon whenever i had nites of free eating (or still trying to avoid as much carbs as possible). though i have to be patient abt losing the remaining stuff during a possible stall....but sometimes i just hate to eat those evil carbs now and then.

apparently now it has turned out in such way i eat those noodles, rice out of no-choice circumstances. if not i wont want to touch them. i rather have fruits for the day rather than pasta, bread and such.

certainly being LCing on/off for a couple of years...i have changed my perceptions abt maintaining a LC lifestyle, with small bends.

Waiting for the next pound to go........

lossiebeth
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:28
HEY, FUMIH, WHAT A GREAT LETTER! I CAN SEE BY YOUR STATS THAT YOU HAVE DONE FANTASTICALLY :cheer:

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN THAT SOMETIMES, THERE REALLY IS NO CHOICE, EXCEPT EAT OR STARVE. SOMETIMES I CHOOSE ONE AND SOMETIMES THE OTHER, BUT IF I CHOOSE TO EAT, I DO MY BEST TO GO FOR "DAMAGE LIMITATION": RATHER THAN USING IT AS AN EXCUSE TO PIG OUT. THE RESULTS ARE JUST NOT WORTH IT!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :)