PDA

View Full Version : Basal Temperature Test

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jan9
Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:57
Does any one know if the basal temperature test is the best way of checking your thyroid at home? The one I am trying is testing your urine first thing in the morning with a thermometer. So far I am 75 degrees which is low according to the book I read. I just don't know how much you can put in this test.

The reason I am doing it myself is that my husband who is a DDS says that the thyroid meds. are vodoo magic so he would rather that I don't go on any.

What is your thoughts?? :(

Natrushka
Fri, Apr-05-02, 19:08
Jan, I take my BBT every morning (that I remember ;) ) with a thermometer (under my tongue). Standards this way say that if your rising body temp is consistently below 97.8 and if it doenst rise much during the day (it should be at its highest in the late afternoon) then you've got a pretty strong indicator of an underactive thyroid.

HTH
Nat

gemgirl
Wed, May-15-02, 08:29
last nite i went to a new dr.---i left practically in tears---tears of joy---he said i have a thyroid problem when no other dr would treat me. he prescribed me cytomel . i found him by accident on a link for dr. seigle's thyroid website. look for info on wilson's thyroid syndrome. its a temporary thyroid condition that cannot be diagnosed with a blood test (i've had three normal blood tests)its based on your symptoms and body temp. if your body temp (taken 3 times a day)averages to below 98.0 daily the chances are u have it----the websites on wilsons are a great source of info and if u check out the symptoms list (most of which i have)you will freak out--they are general symptoms most people have from time to time. drs will tell u its all in your head or the less u put in your mouth the less on your butt!!!! well guess what??? i asked my dr about atkins and the pills he put me on and he hightly recommends atkins. i really feel like a load was lifted off me last nite. lets just hope this medication works. most of the wilsons syndrome websites have an area that list drs that treat it and believe it exists. just check them out its worth it. let me know how you make out....have a great day!!!! :roll: :roll: :wave:

mbschlgr
Wed, May-15-02, 09:14
I too have the same with my thyroid. 4 years of testing kept showing "normal" levels. Yea, right normal for who...

November of 2000 I bottomed out. 196 lbs, and a body temp of 94 on one day and 95.2 on my best day!!! I could hardly stay awake, and was so bundled up that I could hardly move.

My thyroid problem has caue my pancreas to spill insulin at a constant rate, so, my endo has put me on 150mcg of synthroid and a lo to no carb diet! I started that in Feb of 2001 and lost 40 lbs so fast that I couldn't believe it!

This past winter I "fell off the wagon" and got back into the carbs! I've gained 10 lbs and felt awful. Hubby even said "what have you been eating? You seem to be gaining and not feeling very well"

Thyroid and carbs do seem to go hand in hand and the more I look into it, I have found many thyroid patients are turning to lo carb diets.

I am on a lo carb WOL. I have to be for my own medical health, Carbs are like poison to me.

:wave:

CONILUV
Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:12
Gemgirl,
I begged my doctor to change me from Synthroid to Cytomel. Got it done today but have to wait 2 weeks to get the cytomel.
Could you tell me how much you take. I am supposed to take 25mg twice a day.
Did you lost weight on the Cytomel?
Like you, I have ALWAYS had a low body temperature.