PDA

View Full Version : Sane Doctors

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lossiebeth
Thu, Apr-04-02, 07:24
Just to let yall know (and to try to help me get over the shock), I was at the Dr. yesterday (new one, had never seen him), and while I was there I asked him to test my cholesterol. He asked why and I told hm that I am on the Artkins diet and that my DH is concerned for my cholesterol level.

He laughed and said, "All fat, eh?" The thing is, I could TELL he was joking, which helped. He asked some questions about my family's medical history, like if anyone in my family suffers from hypertension or high cholesterol, or if I have ever had heart trouble (and if I smoked), and when I said "No" to everything, he said he didn't see any need to test my cholesterol, since, as long as I don't stay on "the first two weeks" forever, Atkins is actually very healthy. He then told me to tell my DH to rest assured that I'll be fine, took my blood pressure (100/75) and sent me on my way :daze:

That is the 2nd doctor at the surgery who seems alright about it. When I went in almost 3 weeks ago (C.A.D. then, but I changed to Atkins that day!), I told the woman Dr. I saw that I have a problem with carbohydrates and hyperinsulinemia, and she immediately asked if I was doing Atkins. I said I was doing C.A.D. We talked for a bit and she said that low-fat, high carbohydrate diets simply don't work for some people :eek: I couldn't believe I was hearing those words from a doctor, as they tend to be SO fixated on low-fat/high-carbo diets.

Who says small towns are old-fashioned? ;)

:wave:

fiona
Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:44
Thanks for sharing that Beth. Helps to balance all the other -ve messages.

Take care.

Emma 2002
Sat, Apr-06-02, 17:00
Hi - I mentioned to my dr that I was starting Atkins and asked if she had any opinion on the subject, she was really enthusiastic about it and explained the thing about insulin, which i kind of knew any way from reading the book, and she added about the increasing numbers of people getting diabetes these days, she said she would be interested in hearing on how i got on with it, in a friendly way not a dr way....... more positive stuff!!!

Emma :wave:

lossiebeth
Sun, Apr-07-02, 07:50
That is so great! I am delighted to hear of yet another open-minded medical person. So many are NOT. I am very wary about who I tell about Atkins-just can't be arsed wiht the hassle. Let them live in low-fat world if they want! Once my weight is down to a "more generally acceptable" level, THEN if they ask I MIGHT tell ;)

You're doing GREAT, BTW! Well done for such a super loss.

:wave: