PDA

View Full Version : ketosis breath

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

crease
Sun, Jan-18-09, 20:58
does it go away even if you are still in ketosis? i remember reading that once you enter ketosis at the beginning, you might have a funky taste in your mouth and "ketosis breath." DH has been telling me for the past few days that my breath is really bad. it's getting to be kinda hurtful to be honest.

i practice good oral hygiene so it's not like i don't brush my teeth, but wonder if the combo of coffee and not eating alot of food is causing the problems, is it ketosis breath (sometimes i can taste something funky, i can only imagine how bad it is lol) or should i worry about something more sinister?

black57
Sun, Jan-18-09, 21:50
I have smelled some funky breath in my day from people who were far from being in ketosis. As I am sure we all have. I am sure that I experienced bad breath that had nothing to do with ketosis. Most people who practice good oral hygiene still enjoy` eating garlic, onions, asparagus, coffee, cheese. So IMHO just do what you can to assure fresh breath but ketosis is just one of the many billions of other culprits behind offensive malodorous situations.

saladmomma
Mon, Jan-19-09, 10:59
i, too, have been experiencing this. i remember last time i did atkins, i did also.

i think it passes.... it probably means your body is cranking...

crease
Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:12
if by cranking you mean a whoosh, BRING IT ON! guess i'll just have to load up on gum/cough drops.

i know someone posted recently that any time their stomach gurgled, they experienced a whoosh. if only i were so lucky lol. i'd be at goal in 2 weeks time with all the gurgling going on here.

UserXYZ
Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:15
I really hate when people have bad breath because they never hydrate, sometimes I just wanna shove a piece of gum in their mouth. Kind of unavoidable though, recently Ive been drinking like 3 litres of sf juice a day and brushing my teeth for 6 minutes as usual and my breath still smells a bit funky.

alsmez
Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:57
Gum and cough drops (and mouthwash) can actually exacerbate the problem. They cover up the scent temporarily, but then it comes back with a vengeance. If I were you, I'd brush thoroughly and concentrate on drinking lots of plain water. Eat raw parsley too - that can help.

Earthquake
Mon, Jan-19-09, 12:01
Since the smell comes mainly from your stomach id be surprised if brushing teeth is effective. I think you might mask the odor somewhat with a drink of diet soda and a piece of cheese. chew gum too.

Mousesmom
Mon, Jan-19-09, 12:11
I found drinking more water killed the keto breath.

Parsley worked for me too.

Good luck, Julie

crease
Mon, Jan-19-09, 13:00
hmm. now that it's been mentioned, and i've thought about it, i'm NOT drinking enough water. i would have never guessed water consumption (or lack thereof) to cause this. interesting.

frisbena
Mon, Jan-19-09, 13:11
Also if it is really bad, take chlorophyll liquid or tablets from the health food store. It is like nature's deodorizer and it works very well!

UserXYZ
Mon, Jan-19-09, 14:12
i would have never guessed water consumption (or lack thereof) to cause this. interesting.

Reaallllyyy.......... :S

How is that possible exactly?

crease
Mon, Jan-19-09, 17:06
you don't mince words, do ya? i can respect that.

how is it possible that i didn't think of the relationship between water and breath? because i'm not a big water drinker as a general rule, and it's only been the past few days that i've been told my breath is rank, in as many words. ::shrug:: or maybe it's because i associate bad breath with poor oral hygiene? many reasons probably. i've only, in the past 4 or 5 months, paid close attention to what i put down my gullet.

but normally i'm a big gum chewer so maybe i've been offensive for years and years and never knew it cuz i always smell spearminty? or maybe everyone i know IRL is scared of me and won't tell me? :)

UserXYZ
Mon, Jan-19-09, 17:09
I've noticed that those who don't drink much generally have bad breath, really concentrated bad smell, its like the water dilutes it or something.
People who drink a lot of green tea also have bad breath or any Chinese tea really. When I lived in China the amount of bad tea breath on the tube was overwhelming.

joansheila
Thu, Jan-22-09, 23:23
WATER,WATER,WATER,and GUM!!!

Astra1
Fri, Jan-23-09, 00:02
Drink water and eat more veggies. I had Keto breath for a day and it went away as soon as I did these things. Good Luck

frisbena
Fri, Jan-23-09, 07:38
I find if I have alot of cheese products that my ketosis breath gets worse. Lots of veg and lots of water like others have suggested works great!

ElizabethB
Fri, Jan-23-09, 11:12
Make sure you eat lots of veggies and drink your water. That ought to do it. Be careful with loading up on mints and gum because they do have carb content. Sometimes if I really want a piece of gum, I'll take tiny bites of it throughout the day as needed. Still get to chew gum 3-4 times, but only used 1 carb. :)

mattman489
Fri, Jan-23-09, 20:59
i take keto breath as good breath,fat burning! my kids say its not bad,just different.

woodchuck
Fri, Jan-23-09, 21:04
I solve my Keto breath issues with plenty of water, and some nice spritzes from my trusty listerine pocket spray! There are also some nice splenda-based carb free hard candies that I get from Walgreens. The come in Lemon, Green Apple, Rasberry, and Peppermint. They solve my candy fetish and take care of the Keto breath at the same time.

mattman489
Sat, Jan-24-09, 07:51
maybe flossing would help with increased meat eating.not to be gross but a decaying bit of meat between the teeth can be rank!

nicnoc
Sat, Jan-24-09, 09:58
I like when my mouth tastes rank, i know that my body is fat burning

Kay2008
Sat, Jan-24-09, 11:33
Can anybody explain what this keto breath tastes/smells like?

I have also noticed since low carbing I have this funky taste in my mouth and if I do the breath test, my breath smells funky too. Which before, when I wasn't low carbing my breath would either not smell or smell of whatever I had eaten!... I also didn't have that funky taste in my mouth either.

chubbybunz
Sat, Jan-24-09, 12:10
I remember Dr Atkins saying that ketosis breath is completely normal and it usally calms down after you've been on the diet a while. He also said to make sure you're drinking a ton of water which is supposed to help. Hope I helped a little. :wave:

crease
Sat, Jan-24-09, 13:14
my keto breath, way back in august, gave me a metallic taste in my mouth. i'm afraid of what it smelled like :)

mattman489
Sun, Jan-25-09, 07:55
my keto breath, way back in august, gave me a metallic taste in my mouth. i'm afraid of what it smelled like :)
i have exactly the same taste! my daughter tells me not to wisper to close to people at church because it really comes off me..i`ll probably get some tic tacs befor todays service.