PDA

View Full Version : not a fan of artificial sweeteners, any suggestions?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

saladmomma
Mon, Jan-12-09, 14:57
i'm into health foods, and i can't seem to use spenda ... anything i can use that is acceptable but natural?

i do eat candy bars with malitol.... anything wrong with that?

thanks, sometimes i need something sweet.....

LittleZu
Mon, Jan-12-09, 17:09
Stevia is natural, but not sure how good it is. :)

ruthla
Mon, Jan-12-09, 17:12
Stevia is the only sweetener I use. I like the way it tastes in coffee, hot cocoa, and herbal tea, but I don't like the way baked goods come out with it. I pretty much don't eat sweets except for the above mentioned beverages, or I'll have a small amount of fruit (I'm basically in maintenance mode now.)

My hot cocoa recipe is 7 oz hot water, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, stevia to taste, and 1 oz coconut milk or dairy cream. Mix all together and serve.

Wifezilla
Mon, Jan-12-09, 17:46
Not a stevia fan. I have tried several brands. I like erythritol.

JLx
Mon, Jan-12-09, 18:28
I use stevia and erythritol or han lo (Slimsweet). I bought Nunaturals brand concentrated stevia on the recommendation of the Healthy Indulgences blog (the blogger posts here as "lc student") but also use some liquid stevia in certain things. Lauren from Healthy Indulgences uses a combo of stevia and erythritol and so far the few things I've made with those have been great. Check out her blog: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

On the other hand, the strawberry pie I made at Christmas time (not using a recipe but simply substituting for sugar) using different combos of those 3 sweeteners was a disaster x2.

zorra_1
Sun, Jan-25-09, 12:15
I like xylitol and erythritol.

ccotta
Sun, May-24-09, 23:22
I usually combine Xylitol and stevia