PDA

View Full Version : unsweetened almond milk

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SylvieK
Fri, Dec-19-08, 16:36
I just got some unsweetened almond milk, 2 carbs per 8 oz., to keep in the pantry. Anyone have experience using this? Good in coffee? What about cream soups?

JLx
Fri, Dec-19-08, 16:41
I just bought the chocolate unsweetened and am going to make hot chocolate out of it after I saw someone else mention it on a board. I also tried the vanilla version recently for that purpose and took a sip of it plain too. It wasn't too bad. Not sure what I will do with the rest of it, so I hope people post here with their experiences, especially with cooking. I wonder how it would be in a custard, for instance.

Jamaicame
Fri, Dec-19-08, 16:47
When I'm craving chocolate I get the unsweetened chocolate almond milk and just sweeten it with splenda a bit. Kinda like chocolate milk... Haven't used it for anything else but that though.

mmmVeggies
Fri, Dec-19-08, 21:44
I used to make that at home back in the day...all you do is throw a bunch of almonds in a blender with bottled water & scant a pinch of salt; strain.

Lie2MeJL
Fri, Dec-19-08, 22:06
I like to pour the vanilla almond milk over crushed pork rinds with cinnamon and splenda. I also make hot cocoa by adding cocoa and splenda...If I'm lazy I just add some splenda to the chocolate almond milk and heat.

FYI I have found the cheapest place to buy is at Trader Joes. Only problem is I haven't seen chocolate there.

ImOnMyWay
Fri, Dec-19-08, 22:15
I bought it to make protein drinks. don't have a recipe for you, yet, though. It's too cold to be having ice-blendeds for breakfast. I'm having soup for breakfast instead.

christylou
Sat, Dec-20-08, 11:48
I use unsweeted chocolate alomond milk, a touch of heavy whipping creme and sugar free Kahlua syrup over ice to make a fabulus satisfying treat. I add some ice to to thicken it al up. YUM!

Bat Spit
Sun, Dec-21-08, 06:58
I love to drink the unsweetened chocolate.
I have a box of unsweetened vanilla in the fridge to make eggnog with (with coconut milk) later today.

I've had custard made from the almond milk. It was tasty, if not quite as set as a dairy custard. I didn't make it, so I don't have a recipe to offer, but it does work.

For cream soup, I think almond milk is too thin to give it a rich thickness. Use coconut milk instead. That works well. You can also thicken 'cream' soup with puree'd avocado.

Shreen
Sun, Dec-21-08, 15:43
Love it! I bought a soymilk maker just for this. So good when you miss milk and better than soy. All of the vitamin E and nut benefits (some controversy over soy and brain shrinkage? Wanted to reduce my consumption a bit.)

tracy
Thu, Jan-08-09, 12:03
I have tried the blue diamond almond breeze unsweetened and the vanilla, havent tried the chocolate yet.
I use it in my tea and for when I get the hilow cerial , I pour it on that. Im not much a milk drinker to begin with so I dont miss it.

ruthla
Thu, Jan-08-09, 17:48
IMO, the unsweetened almond milks are very bland and watery tasting. I prefer to use coconut milk (which is similar in texture to dairy cream) in my coffee, or to mix coconut milk and water as a milk substitute in baking.

I tried the chocolate unsweetneed and found that, not only did it need added sweetener, it needed more chocolate flavor! If I'm going to mix up stevia and cocoa powder in a hot liquid, I may as well start with water and add a little coconut milk rather than starting with dilute almond milk.

ketonebody
Sun, Jan-11-09, 17:03
I personally like to use unsweetened vanilla flavored soy milk. I usually throw some Splenda in it, and the taste is just perfect. I might give this almond milk a try though. Sounds delicious.

cartersg1
Mon, Jan-19-09, 11:08
I use it to replace milk in pancake or biscuit mixes. Some of my baking is not stricly low-carb (I cannot use CarbQuick because it contains wheat) and almond milk adds flavor over using water. I use Pamela's or The Cravings Place mixes for baking and pancakes. In any case, it works quite well and doesn't alter the chemical composition of food. It doesn't really leave an after taste like soy milk does from time to time. Cheers!

donnaliz67
Mon, Jan-19-09, 12:04
I drink the unsweetened vanilla (Almond Breeze brand) almost daily, because it has less carbs and calories than regular milk. I've actually come to like the taste better than regular milk. I've used it in place of regular milk in baking too, . Seems to work fine.

SylvieK
Mon, Jan-19-09, 19:03
I've been making a nightcap with unsweetened almond milk topped with a little cream and nutmeg, it's tasty and calming before bed.

zorra_1
Sun, Jan-25-09, 10:18
I really like this stuff. It was $1.89 at my Kroger last week so I stocked up. The chocolate is really nice.