PDA

View Full Version : Warning... Rant

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

szar
Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:29
I've been trying to decide whether to post this or not...

<RANT>

Yesterday the postman dropped off a letter addressed in block letters, with no return address. In this day and age that set off some alarms, but it had a local postmark so I opened it anyhow. Inside was a flyer for a Richard Simmons Cruise, a money order, and a note explaining that the horrible Atkins thing was going to kill me yada, yada destroy my kidneys, yada, yada lose muscle, etc. Signed simply "a friend" It really steams me that people who have probably never even seen the cover of any of the low carb books feel they have a right to pester those of us who have thoroughly researched the plans and have settled on this WOL. And it ticks me off even further that this person is such coward so as not sign their name. I have avoided telling people about this diet because of just such responses--never did I dream of getting them anonymously in the mail. The biggest problem I have is that there was a money order enclosed that presumably is for the cost of the cruise. I have no idea as I threw the info away without reading it--I can't stand Richard Simmons, I think he sells false hope in a deck of cards. Anywho, what should I do with the money? I have a vague idea of who may have sent it and it would give me no small amount of satisfaction to shove somewhere uncomforatable for them but very satisfying for me--but if I am wrong...

Any suggestions?

</RANT>

Thank you all for listenening--I actually feel much better. Stewed all night at work last night about this.

Mark

Natrushka
Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:40
Originally posted by szar
Anywho, what should I do with the money?

You could probably buy a few dozen really nice sirloin roasts and some tenderloin with some of it ;)

The attitude (and cowardice) of the person who did this quite funny when you think about it, Mark. A fool and his money are soon parted - what you do with the money is up to you. I'd enjoy it. I'd enjoy it big time!

Nat

DWRolfe
Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:58
Ugh...I read your post and had to click off for a few minutes to recover from the image of Richard Simmons that was swirling around in my head.... :eek:

Nat's right of course. After the shock of all this wears off you should use that money to buy yourself some provisions...maybe even order some new LC products that you've been wanting to try.

Of course, my knee jerk, evil reaction would be to buy some Richard Simmons tapes (ESPECIALLY the Sweating to the Oldies versions) and be sure to play them in this "well-meaning" person's presence as much as possible but then you would have to endure the torture too, so I guess that's out of the question...maybe you could wear some RS outfits, too...that would be very special....OR, you could send the money directly to RS and ask him to PLEASE buy some pants.

Your stats say it all about this WOE/WOL. That's the most important thing here.

Use that money to reward yourself for reaching a special milestone goal. :roll:

Donald ;)

ON THE OTHER HAND: OK, I'm having second thoughts...if anyone reading has experienced success with an RS program, I apologize. And it's true that some folks get up off their couches and "Sweat to the Oldies"...and that's good too. RS just gives me the willies....

sms1
Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:24
Sorry...

All I can think of is Richard Simmons in a Turkey Suit being sprayed by a fire extingisher on the David Letterman Show! :D

If it was a check, you could just not cash it. Since it's a Money Order to throw it out is throwing out cash. I say buy LC Groceries and new slimmer clothes!

odd sock
Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:44
I agree, you could use the cash to buy provisions now and save some to get new clothes when you reach goal. I wish I had such a prize waiting for when I have lost the weight! ;)

Imagine the surprise of the person who did it when you HAVEN'T gone on the cruise and look so good anyway! :D

odd sock
Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:52
You could always apply it to an exercise that you DO love. I imagine that it would be enough to get a piece of equipment like a bike or exercise machine, a membership at a good gym, or to be able to sign up for several classes of martial arts, yoga, or dancing. The cash could give you the freedom to try out lots of new things. I am excited for you!

Brand new walking shoes is the first thing that I would get--- my ones now are wearing through! :D

Natrushka
Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:58
Originally posted by DWRolfe
OR, you could send the money directly to RS and ask him to PLEASE buy some pants.

LOL Donald! I'm still giggling at that!

I also love odd's idea of the exercise equipment! Great one. If there's nothing you want, I wouldnt say 'no' to a bowflex ;)

Nat

In_Control
Wed, Mar-27-02, 10:11
Not sure what to say other than something other's may not agree with.

Well, when I first read your post I was steamed myself! Whoever sent the letter obviously thinks that they KNOW EVERYTHING in the world. From you stat's it has to be obvious to those around you that you are finding great success with this new WOL. Could it be someone who doesn't want you to have the success you are having? Only you can answer that one...but it seems like a stretch perhaps, but not completely out there. There are those people who don't want to be outdone.

Whoever this cowardly person is they did give you a big hunk of change I'm assuming for a CRUISE! So ... believe it or not, I'm thinking this person must care for you quite a bit. They truly don't know everything like they think. And it is obvious that they have a very LOUSY way of showing their love/care for you. But I'm thinking that the intent was genuine here.

If I were in your situation it would take me a few days to cool off. But I think I would go to the person (if you truly know who it is) and say thanks, I really appreciate your gesture, but I'm having great success with my new WOL and loving it. I do appreciate your concern. Then I'd give them the $$$ back. (if you don't need it) If the person then tried to persuade me into the RS thing, I would simply say I feel great, I love the program I have chosen, and I would truly appreciate your support with my decision. Then I wouldn't talk about it anymore with them. If they kept trying, I would say I have to go, and I would leave!

Do ya'll think I'm crazy here?

texas-newf
Wed, Mar-27-02, 11:06
Mark,
Whoever sent you the money order for the RS cruise must really care about you to give such a nice gift. If you think you know who it is I would approach them and find out for sure and then explain that you are haveing great success with this WOE and that you appreciate their concern but .... to let you live your own life..
I have a brother-in-law who is a nurse and he is constantly down my throat about Aktins but I just shut him up by telling him my stats and how great I feel.

I agree with the others... take the money, use it wisely and go on a vacation including a lot of walking.. That'll be good for mind and body ! Whatever you do... Do it because YOU want to do it.. You know what is right.
Craig

Lessara
Wed, Mar-27-02, 11:56
Hmmm, what if you copied the information on our LC and send it to him, label the letter, money inclosed :D

szar
Wed, Mar-27-02, 12:25
Thank you all for your replies. I had forgotten about RS on Letterman, had to laugh aloud to myself. I did ask the person who I thought it might be and no, it wasn't them. They had given me alot of grief when I first started but, she said that she has watched the results and I sensed she is coming around--gave her my copy of DANDR. So I am in even more of a quandry. I have absolutely no idea who it was. I just bought a gym membership, otherwise that would have been a great idea. New walking shoes and some clothes--mine are all baggy now sounds like a good idea too. Have to pick a goal. I absolutely hate the idea that as I continue to have success with this in the future this person will see me in town and think that they had something to do with it. Had they really cared about me, why not sign their name?

Mark

wbahn
Wed, Mar-27-02, 13:57
I usually don't wish to bear the burden of other people's problems - but in this case.... :D

I agree that the person is almost certainly genuinely concerned about you.

You could always take the cruise. Of course, what a shame it was to find out that the RS cruise was booked or didn't meet your schedule constraints and you had to settle for a different one. :D

But, to be true to yourself, you want to consider that the person gave you the money because they want you to become healthy and happy. That they are misguided in what they feel will accomplish that is a regrettable fact, but if you let yourself be guided by their intentions, then you should be O.K.

Buying some exercise equipment or some really good meat or some really nice incentive clothes are good options. Using the money to fund the expensive supplements that are part of the full blown BFL might be another.

They gave the money anonomously for the benefit of someone else. Donating it, anonomously, to a worthwhile charity is perhaps the most noble thing and that way you would not be taking credit for their gift.

lcon109
Thu, Mar-28-02, 22:56
Since you don't know who bestowed this gift upon you, you might want to consider investing the money in something short term.. a CD perhaps. I'm thinking, save it, let it grow and when you reach your goal.. spend like a madman!

Another thought is using the money for some personal relaxation therapy.. can you say Massage??? There is nothing better in the world than a professional massage to help center you.

I can see where it would drive you a bit nuts to be in a quandry over receiving a windfall but with this stigma attached to it. However, if this person truly does care about you, in the end, they would want you to do what would be the most beneficial to you, and only you know what that is :)

Good luck in your decision!

Lisa

Victoria
Fri, Mar-29-02, 10:25
If I only had someone sending me money. :) What about sticking it in the bank and then paying for a vacation, when you hit goal as a reward for your hard work. A nice Hawaiin trip... something you may never had tried or thought to do at your highest weight. I wouldn't fret over WHO sent you the money and the chicken way they did it. Just continue doing what you know is right and enjoy knowing that you are losing regardless of what they think.

Richard Simmons isn't so bad. He really has a heart for fat people. He's figured out how to make money off of it. If he would just wear longer shorts!!! It's embarrassing. :rolleyes: Victoria

ldypgmr
Sun, Mar-31-02, 14:16
Hey,

I like the idea of saving the money and using it for a vacation when you get to goal ... or book yourself on a differant cruise!

Maybe we can do a group cruise in about a year... just a thought.

Any hoo...I just happen to LOVE RS.....just joking, too corny for me. However I have a couple of his video tapes that I am willing to mail to you szar...you could prodly display them...don't watch them, they may leave you blind :spin:

just let me know.
:wave:

Dee