PDA

View Full Version : Question about Coconut oil

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

houndgirl
Thu, Nov-27-08, 15:18
When I first got my coconut oil at the health food store it was only about $6. for a 20 oz container. Not too bad of a price. Well apparently that was a mistake because when I went back to get more the price had doubled! I asked them about it and they agreed I got a good deal the first time-LOL!

So anyway... What brand do you use and where do you get it. I did see a large container of it at Walmart but wasn't sure if that was any good.

Caraboo109
Thu, Nov-27-08, 16:22
There is coconut oil and there is virgin coconut oil, which is the one that tastes like coconut and is the least refined. Generally, VCO costs double or more the amount of CO, which is more 'suitable for cooking and baking'. I usually buy the VCO but bought the other in a pinch...It has no flavour whatsoever, which is a bummer, but is still good for cooking with.

I have been buying Heartland Gold. Not sure if this is available in the US or not.

DishyFishy
Thu, Nov-27-08, 16:54
There were half a dozen different ones in my local store ranging in quality and price from about $6 to $39. I plumped for Gold Top Organics Extra Virgin Coconut Oil because I've been happy with other things from this company, and I wanted the intense coconut flavour that doesn't come from the refined oils. I paid about $16 for mine, and it's worth every penny.

Bru88
Thu, Nov-27-08, 17:24
I use both, refined and VCO refined Louana Band from Walmart $5.75 32oz and VCO from Netrition.com I bought the large size.

http://www.netrition.com/nutiva_coconut_oil_page.html

I love to cook and use it topically with Louana Brand, I love the VCO in my coffee.

houndgirl
Thu, Nov-27-08, 17:38
Is the virgin better for you?

I don't really like the coconut taste but want the health benefits.

Bru88
Thu, Nov-27-08, 18:18
Coconut oil is very stable, Fife in his book basically said its up to you which ever you like. Some believe only VCO is good for you, I haven't noticed any difference in the two personally, both work great...Bru :wave:

J-lo carb
Fri, Nov-28-08, 10:25
I always get the virgin kind now. I tried the Louana. It just seems too polyconglobulated :) or something. It's really greasy compared to the virgin. If you don't like the taste though, you might just want to use the Louana. Although, I don't like coconut either and I like the taste of my coconut oil (Spectrum).

carbwhack
Fri, Nov-28-08, 14:51
I recently bought the virgin type organic at Whole Foods, their own brand (365) for like $7.00 for 14 oz. I believe its a new product because before they had Tropical Traditions and it was almost twice that price I think, like $14 for 16 oz or something.

dawnyama
Fri, Dec-05-08, 19:22
I get my coconut oil off the net. I always buy it on sale and at Tropical Traditions they are always running a sale. It is under my Christmas tree right now for my present!! I purchase virgin so I can sip it (I take 4 TBL per day) and also expeller pressed (no taste of coconuts!) for my baking and frying. I tried once, and only once!, a brownie mix using virgin coconut oil as the vegetable oil called for in the recipe and had to throw away the whole batch. My family wouldn't go near it. It had a very coconutty taste. Been buying expeller pressed ever since. When I do run out I will get the Louana from Wal-Mart or even the Rexall brand they have there. I have also tried Nutiva to compare to TT and liked it just fine. I just prefer the TT because I can get it by the gallon--and on sale!!