PDA

View Full Version : weird side effects from the patch?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gwilson38
Tue, Mar-26-02, 14:47
Im on day 6 of NOT smoking! Yeah! :cheer: I am not experiencing ANY of what would be the normal side effects listed. What I do have is very sore hips and thighs. I have cut back on my exercise lately [can get heart rate up too high when on patch] BUT I have been doing enough that its not from lack of activity. Also has anyone else noticed major water retention from the patch ?

Lisa N
Sat, Apr-06-02, 12:38
I can't say I noticed a lot of water retention on the patch, but boy did I have some funky nightmares! I'm on day 2 of quitting (again) and am using the gum. I'm not sure how many grams of carb it has in it, but I guess I'd rather have that than loose sleep. Besides...I find it helps to have something in my mouth when I'm craving a cigarette...maybe that's why so many people gain weight when they quit smoking. Instead of putting a cigarette in their mouth, they substitute candy or some other food. I've also heard that people tend to eat more when they quit smoking because their taste buds can actually work again and food tastes a lot better.

gwilson38
Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:52
The only problems I experienced with the patch so far [other than the leg pain which has gone away] is that it stimulated me too much at night. I take it off just as I go to bed and put on a new one in the morning. Seems to work for me. Yes lots of people replace cigs with food, hence major weight gain, but not in my case. Generally im not as hungry! weird huh. Now The day I quit smoking I cut out my 2-3 cups of coffee a day...and I believe it was the caffiene stimulating my appetite. I wish U losts of luck Lisa! We all need support to get thru this!

LastHope
Wed, May-29-02, 12:56
I went thru a 4 week program designed by the American Cancer Society called Freshstart...maybe these notes will help...

Sleeping with the patch on does cause many to have strong/vivid dreams. Take the patch off before going to bed. If you feel you must have the patch on in the morning ASAP, leave a new one on your bedside table and put it on before getting out of bed.

Be sure to change the site of the patch each day. Wear it on your left arm then your right....and when going back to the left arm, put it in a different spot.

I do experience a bit of soreness in the muscles around where I put the patch.

I am 14 days without cigarrettes today!