PDA

View Full Version : Hood Calorie Countdown gone from Walmart!!?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GrooveJock
Mon, Oct-13-08, 23:21
Has anyone else noticed their local Wally stopped carrying Calorie Countdown milk!? Im really bumbed. :mad: :mad:

Kisal
Tue, Oct-14-08, 05:14
None of the stores in my area carry it anymore, and I'm very disappointed. I really liked the stuff. :(

There are recipes for low carb milks you can make at home, although I think they're somewhat higher in carbs. Here is one CarolynF developed. I have made this and it's quite good. I happened to have Calcium Caseinate on hand, having bought it for another milk recipe, but it can be omitted. I included the link to the thread about the recipe, so you can check out all the tweaks others have used:

CarolynF's Low Carb Milk
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/550601-homemade-low-carb-milk.html

To make one cup:

1-2 Tbs. of heavy cream (depending on how creamy you want it)
1 1/3 Tbs. of instant dry milk
1 cup of cold water
sprinkle of salt
tiny sprinkle of splenda (if you want)

Just put the ingredients in and shake it up. Refrigerate.

Calories 65 if 1 Tbs. of cream is used, 110 if 2 Tbs. of cream is used
5 grams of fat / 10 grams of fat
3 carbs / 3 carbs
2 grams of protein / 2 grams of protein

Of course, you can double/triple, etc. the recipe. But it's pretty cheap to make.

Per Billie, to make 1 qt:

3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
Dash salt
1 drop Sweetzfree (or 1/2 packet Splenda)
3 TBsp Calcium Caseinate
1/2 tsp Lecithin (it's fine without this)

Place all ingredients in blender, and blend on low for about 30 seconds.

Will keep in fridge for about 10 days.

zorra_1
Tue, Oct-14-08, 09:24
Do not tell me this!! :lol: I haven't seen it in weeks and was hoping they were just waiting on a shipment! :lol:

liddie01
Tue, Oct-14-08, 10:26
My Walmart had the chocolate last night, but other stores here still carry the entire line, so we are okay.

Kisal
Tue, Oct-14-08, 12:31
My Walmart had the chocolate last night, but other stores here still carry the entire line, so we are okay.Hood is located in the eastern U.S., so folks back there should be okay. Out here it's a different story. I've had 3 different store managers tell me that they keep ordering the Calorie Countdown milk, but Hood never ships it. Instead, they list it as backordered. http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

LessLiz
Tue, Oct-14-08, 14:26
Yeah, and it really upset me. I don't eat many processed foods, but this was a biggie for me.

Kisal, thanks for those recipes!

Kisal
Tue, Oct-14-08, 15:27
You're welcome, Liz! I have recipes for Evaporated Milk and for Sweetened Condensed Milk, too. I'll be happy to share if you're interested. :)

Huskerchic
Wed, Oct-15-08, 13:53
The Walmart's here in Lincoln quit carrying this a LONG time ago...like over a year!

I just thought they quit making it !!

CarolynC
Wed, Oct-15-08, 15:50
My local Wal-Mart quit carrying it about a year ago. However, Calorie Countdown is still sold at a city about 150 miles from here; I visit there a few times a month and pick up some then.

I find that a 50:50 mixture of half-and-half with water, with a sprinkle of salt added, makes a good milk substitute.

preck1378
Wed, Oct-15-08, 18:26
Still at the Burley, Idaho Walmart. It get's sold out really fast and not restocked, so I think it must take a while for them to get new shipments. Also, check the whole case, my store keeps moving the location so I think it's gone but it's just been moved.

Annie1gi
Wed, Oct-15-08, 18:48
Been gone from mine for a long time unfortunately.

Wifezilla
Wed, Oct-15-08, 22:29
It just disappeared from the Fountain, CO Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I am so bummed.

txgalnow
Wed, Oct-15-08, 23:37
My local Walmart here in Texas stopped carring Hood Calorie Countdown also. I did ask the department manager why...but ofcourse I got an explanation that I didn't like. I have also noticed an increase of shelf space for Soy Milk which as a Hypothyroidism I can't have. Unless we bann together and complain to Walmart, they probably won't bring it back. :q:

LessLiz
Thu, Oct-16-08, 15:27
You're welcome, Liz! I have recipes for Evaporated Milk and for Sweetened Condensed Milk, too. I'll be happy to share if you're interested. :)Bring 'em on, Kisal!!!

Kisal
Thu, Oct-16-08, 19:22
This is my entire collection of milk recipes! :lol: (Sorry I don't have links for every thread. :( ) I collected these because the Hood milk has always been hard to find in my area. I have not tried all of them yet. I tend to use the simpler recipes for cooking & baking, and the more complex ones for drinking. :)

Scott123's LC Evaporated Milk

1/4 C. Calcium Caseinate
2 1/2 t. Whey Protein Isolate
1/3 C. minus 1 t. heavy cream
1 C. water
3/16 t. salt
3 T. polyd
1/2 t. Granular Splenda Equivalent

Make a syrup with the polyd and the water- microwave in a glass cup until the polyd is dissolved. Set aside until room temp, add heavy cream. Combine remaining dry ingredients and whisk in a bowl to mix thoroughly. Combine dry with wet and quickly mix to incorporate. This will thicken as the casein hydrates.

Yield: 1 (12 oz.) can

Scott's Notes: As was reverse engineering this, the numbers look like evaporated milk is just regular milk reduced by 1/2. For those who don't want to go the caseinate route, carb/calorie countdown could probably be reduced by 1/2 to make a good lc evaporated milk. The one thing I would do, though, is reduce it in a very big stainless steel or teflon frying pan to facilitate the fastest possible water evaporation.

It's not a lot of polyd, but just in case you wanted to make this with isomalt, here is an isomalt/thickenthin version (same directions as above):

1/4 C. Calcium Caseinate
2 1/2 t. Whey Protein Isolate
1/3 C. minus 1 t. heavy cream
1 C. water
3/16 t. salt
2 t. Isomalt
3/4 t. thickenthin not/sugar
========================================
LowCarbLuxury's Sweetened Condensed Milk
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/295527-chewy-peanut-blossom-cookies.html

2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups Splenda

Whisk all ingredients (added in the order given) in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Cool completely, add to sealable non-metal container and refrigerate. Use within 7-10 days.

This mixture is useful in any recipe where you'd ordinarily use sweetened condensed milk (like Eagle Brand.) Depending on your plans to use it, adding a bit of vanilla after cooking can be a nice touch.

Makes approx 1 1/2 pints. 40 carbs in entire recipe; 4 grams per 1/4 cup serving.
Scott123's Sweetened Condensed Milk recipe
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/461046-scott123-where-your-condensed-milk-recipe-pls.html

1/3 C minus 1 t. Instant Calcium Caseinate
1 T.Whey Protein Isolate
1/3 C. + 1 T. heavy cream
1/4 C. minus 1 t. water
3/16 t. salt
3/4 C. PolyD
1/4 C. Granula Splenda Equivalent
1/4 C. Erythritol
1 Packet Sweet one Ace K

Yield: 1 14 oz. can equivalent

Make a syrup with the polyd, erythritol and the water- microwave in a glass cup until the polyd/e are dissolved. Set aside until room temp, add heavy cream. Combine remaining dry ingredients and either sift or whisk in a bowl to mix thoroughly. Combine dry with wet and quickly mix to incorporate. This will thicken as the casein hydrates.

Scott's Notes:
One issue that I've found with the instant calcium caseinate that I've been using is that, once hydrate, the particle size is a little large. This shouldn't matter for something thickened like pie, but for a condensed milk drink, it might be noticedable. At some point I will develop a blended recipe. The tricky part is the cream. I want to blend it without whipping the cream. The water may help as I think will heat.
Kevinpa's Sweetened Condensed Milk
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/528123-yes-its-mule-freak-again-w-another-question-sweetned-milk.html

2 cans 7.6 oz Nestle Media Crema
1/4 cup powdered whole eggs
1 splenda quick pack

Whisk to combine.
That1redhead LC Sweetened Condensed Milk

2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups Splenda

Whisk all ingredients (added in the order given) in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Cool completely, add to sealable non-metal container and refrigerate. Use within 7-10 days.

This mixture is useful in any recipe where you'd ordinarily use sweetened condensed milk (like Eagle Brand.) Depending on your plans to use it, adding a bit of vanilla after cooking can be a nice touch.

Makes approx 1 1/2 pints. 40 carbs in entire recipe; 4 grams per 1/4 cup serving.
Pami's "Legal Brand" Sweetened Condensed Milk

1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons DiabetiSweet
Liquid Splenda equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup polydextrose

Bring cream and Splenda to a slow boil over medium-low heat.

Whisk in polydextrose slowly, so that cream stays hot enough to dissolve it. If it clumps, just stir for a while to get cream back up to temperature, then continue.

Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before using.

Note: Use one whole batch of "Legal Brand" to substitute for a full can of Eagle Brand in any recipe.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 610 Calories; 44g Fat (31.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 211g Carbohydrate; 184g Dietary Fiber; 163mg Cholesterol; 45mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 9 Fat.
LowCarbLuxury's Easy LC Milk
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/562133-best-ever-low-carb-milk-recipe-carolynf.html

Take a quart of half and half. Mix with equal parts cold water+ an extra 1/4 cup. (use good bottled water). Add a teaspoon of Splenda (replaces the lactose). Mix well and chill overnight. It will stay fresh for 3 - 5 days.

If you liked your milk "skim" before going low carb, you may want to add more water. If you liked your milk "whole" try making it with 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 half and half. The mix above approximates 2% milk.

Carb Count:

Made according to primary directions will run you 4 to 5.5 grams carbs per
6 - 8 oz. glass. If you make it with half cream you can get the carbs down to about 3 grams per glass. Ditto for making it in the "skim" version.
Scott123's Unmilk (Carb -Countdown Clone)

Syrup:
1/4 C. water
1 T. polyd

Wet:
1/4 C. skim milk
1 T. + 1.5 t. heavy cream

Dry:
1 T. 1 t calcium caseinate
1 t.whey protein isolate
Scant 1/8 t. granular splenda
1/64 t. sweet one ace k
1/16 t. salt
1/32 t. xanthan gum

Make a syrup by whisking polyd into water and microwaving until polyd is completely melted. Let cool briefly, then add to wet ingredients. In separate bowls, combine dry and wet. Mix thoroughly. Whisk dry into wet. Whisk in enough water to make 1 cup. Refrigerate overnight. Shake before using.

Scott's Notes:
This is a carb/calorie countdown clone. Because their milk is skim milk based, I took the same route.

CC utilizes a handful of ingredients in trace amounts that I don't own. Eventually I'll incorporate those into this recipe. They are:

Tricalcium phosphate
Mono and diglycerides
Carrageenan

Tricalcium phosphate - a casein binder. I'm not absolutely sure what impact tri-cal phos has on the milk. The only retail form I've found is a calcium phosphorus supplement called 'posture-d.' They have it at walmart. I may invest in some and see what it does.

Mono and diglycerides - emulsifiers. Lecithin might work if taste not altered too adversely.

Carrageenan - soluble gum fiber from seaweed. Presently subbing xanthan gum but look forward to using carrageenan in the future, as it has a special thickening synergy with milk. Can be found at home brew shops - also known as Irish moss.
Uliana's Faux Milk
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=345986&highlight=Unmilk

Wet:
3 tbsp Heavy Cream
3 cups Water

Dry:
4 tsp Calcium Casseinate
5 tsp Whey protein concentrate*
1/16 tsp Stevia (I use NOW brand)
1/16 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/8 tsp Salt

Just like Scott123's Unmilk, you mix the wet and dry separately and whisk them together. Warming up the water/cream mixture seems to help disolve the dry ingredients. Then you refrigerate it for a bit to allow the flavors to meld. Shake before using.

* I used unflavored, but I wonder if I use chocolate or strawberry if it would taste closer to Nestle's Quick™?
Crazywoman-n-wy's Homemade Almond Milk

Use your blender to make your own Almond milk to sub for Almond Breeze.

Put about 1/4 cup almond meal in your blender, pour in a small amount of boiling water, and process for several seconds. Add about 1/2cup more boiling water and process again. Try to blend the almonds as fine in the water as possible.

Add cold water to fill the jar to the 2 cup mark. Strain through cheesecloth or a paper towel into a container. After it is drained well, add enough cold water to make 2 cups, and stir well.

If you like, instead of adding just cold water to make 2 cups, you can add a bit of cream or half-and-half to make the milk richer. You may use more almond flour, up to 1/2 c, if you want a stronger almond flavor.
========================================================
CRosie's Just Like Milk

Fill a 1 cup measure almost to the brim with unsweetened almond milk. Stir in 1 T of heavy cream and stirred well.

This tastes just like regular milk, and it's easier to store than CCountdown milk. It doesn't have the slight sliminess of CC and is cheaper, too.
Birgit's Not-Milk
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/424612-cream-puff-dessert-best.html

Ingredients:
1 tbsp CMF unflavored whey protein isolate
1 tbsp buttermilk powder
1/4 tsp splenda
2 tbsp cream
1 cup ice water

Mix dry ingredients and whisk vigorously into the water until everything is dissolved. Chill and use like regular milk. Shake before each use.

Makes just over 1 cup

Bandito
Sat, Oct-18-08, 04:44
There is still hood milk at my walmart in portland oregon. Also at fred meyers (owned by kroger)

cdaniel525
Mon, Oct-27-08, 11:22
Ughhh... is the Calorie countdown milk essentially as the old Carb Countdown they used to make? or is it still lower in carbs than most!? i used to love the choc carb countdown! :-D

Wifezilla
Mon, Oct-27-08, 11:44
While it has disappeared from Walmart, I did find it at King Soopers last week :D

joansheila
Tue, Nov-04-08, 21:57
Our city market up in the colorado mountains has all three kinds 2%,skim,and chocolate. In a little town called Granby.YIPEEEEEEE!

Greggor
Mon, Dec-15-08, 21:06
What can we do to get WalMart to start selling Calorie Countdown milks. I have asked many times. They assured me that they were ordering it but I have not seen it in months.

Greggor
Mon, Dec-15-08, 21:14
:rolleyes: I have asked my local WalMart to carry Hoods Calorie Countdown. I have waited for months. I have asked every manager I know there. I even asked the main guy. He said they had it ordered and it would be there soon. Well, that has been a few months ago. What is the deal? Has anyone has any success getting their WalMart to carry it?

Kisal
Mon, Dec-15-08, 22:17
The managers I spoke with at various stores in my city told me that they do order the Hood CC milk, but Hood continually backorders it. I guess there isn't much the stores can do if Hood won't ship the milk out here. http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

CarolynC
Mon, Dec-15-08, 22:35
I saw it at Wal-Mart yesterday. However, my local Publix has stopped carrying it.

Karen44
Sun, Dec-28-08, 07:20
My local Walmarts in OH stopped carrying it in August. When I asked why they said, "its a product supply issue, we can't get it now but in 2 months we may have the option of ordering it again", but they never did! I also noticed an increase in Soy Milks in Walmart, maybe they make more money on them. I went online to the Walmart and Krogers websites and started calling all the stores within 50 miles of me asking for Hood Calorie Countdown...I found a Krogers about 30 miles away with a GREAT Dairy Manager that orders it for me every month and I drive up to pick up the case! I have 2 Krogers in my home town and neither of them even offered to try to order it for me. Oh, also....this is crazy, I was paying 2.98 for the Hood 2% at Walmart. But now, Krogers is charging me 4.39 for it! Everyone thinks I am crazy for paying that, but I have been drinking it for yearsssssss and I don't want to switch. Regular milk does not taste good to me anymore, and I love that the Hood has a long expiration date, usually a month to 6 weeks away from expiration, which is good for us as we do not use alot of milk and it never goes to waste. :yum: Hope you get lucky with your search, it is still being made!, however their yummy LC eggnog was not available this year...that was sooooooo good, I wish I had frozen some when I found it 2 years ago! LOL

happygills
Fri, Jan-02-09, 14:14
Got this email from Walmart about CC:

Thank you for contacting us about Calorie Countdown by Hood that you would like to have available in your local store. While researching we have found that Calorie Countdown is no longer available.

We have forwarded you request to the appropriate area for review regarding possible furture purchases of this type of merchandise.

Again, than you for contacting us and y our continued business. If we can be of further assistance in the future please contacts us by phone at 1-800-WAL-MART or by email at www.walmartstores.com.

Thank you
Michelle
Wal-Mart Merchandising Team

:cry:

GrooveJock
Sun, Jan-04-09, 22:04
Got this email from Walmart about CC:

Thank you for contacting us about Calorie Countdown by Hood that you would like to have available in your local store. While researching we have found that Calorie Countdown is no longer available.

We have forwarded you request to the appropriate area for review regarding possible furture purchases of this type of merchandise.

Again, than you for contacting us and y our continued business. If we can be of further assistance in the future please contacts us by phone at 1-800-WAL-MART or by email at www.walmartstores.com.

Thank you
Michelle
Wal-Mart Merchandising Team

:cry:

I smell some BS here from Walmart...

Hood launch a website JUST FOR Calorie Countdown....

http://www.hphood.com/promos/caloriecountdown/default.aspx?id=1542

You can even print out a "petition" to give to the dairy manager at your grocery store...

ILoveMyKit
Sun, Jan-04-09, 22:35
i havent been able to find it around here in ages... might have to start looking... i havent had milk in a long time due to allergies... but i wanted to try the chocolate and see if i can tolerate it.... i can do cheese in small quantities but am not sure about milk anymore

happygills
Mon, Jan-05-09, 18:00
I smell some BS here from Walmart...

Hood launch a website JUST FOR Calorie Countdown....

http://www.hphood.com/promos/caloriecountdown/default.aspx?id=1542

You can even print out a "petition" to give to the dairy manager at your grocery store...

I agree, something is fishy! Sometimes when Walmart stops carrying a popular product, it's because they are replacing it with their own version. Maybe that will be the case. But I won't get my hopes up!

TarHeelMan
Tue, Jan-06-09, 12:49
I think something is fishy, too... Because when the Calorie Countdown disappeared, I noticed, as another poster already stated, an increase in a particular brand of soy milk. As of now I have to go to Lowe's Foods or Food Lion to get the Hood milk.

Wifezilla
Tue, Jan-06-09, 19:22
Yeah.....57 different brands and flavors of soy garbage and no more Hood. WTH???

y0u
Tue, Jan-06-09, 19:46
I am guessing that some Walmarts did not sell enough of it to merit it taking up shelf space. I worked in the grocery industry for over 15 years and the "liquid dairy/chill" section has a very low markup compared to other areas of the store, thus making shelf space extremely valuable.

It is certainly not a production problem because the company has become much larger since merging with a few others as the following letter will demonstrate.

The only other reason I can think of is that some Walmarts do not use a distributor that carries it. Changing distributors in a chain as large as Walmart is a huge ordeal.

There is an 800 number if anyone wishes to call them directly and ask why they may not do business with some Walmarts.

About Hood

Founded:

1846 in Charlestown, Massachusetts by Harvey Perley Hood. Although founded in New England, Hood has become a national company distributing dairy products throughout the United States.

HP Hood LLC Headquarters:

New Address as of 6/15/2007:

Six Kimball Lane | Lynnfield, MA | 01940
Tel. (617) 887-3000 or (800) 343-6592

Business:
In 2004, HP Hood became HP Hood LLC when it acquired New York-based Crowley Foods and Minnesota-based Kemps LLC, adding to Hood’s portfolio of national and super-regional brands as well as processing and distribution operations. Today, HP Hood LLC is one of the largest branded dairy operators with 23 manufacturing plants throughout the United States.

In Hood’s traditional home territory of New England, Hood branded lines of milk, creams, ice cream, cottage cheese and sour cream regularly rank number one in the six-state area. Hood also has national and super-regional franchise rights to process and sell extended-shelf-life products including LACTAID, Stonyfield Farm Organic Milk, Southern Comfort Eggnog and Hood Calorie Countdown reduced carb dairy beverages.

Hood maintains its own research and development operation, which has enabled us to maintain a more than 150-year-old tradition of successful product innovation.

HP Hood LLC Annual Sales:
Approximately $2.3 billion

HP Hood LLC Employees:
Approximately 5,000

Management:(Alphabetical Order)
Bruce W. Bacon, Vice President, Human Resources
H. Scott Blake, Senior Vice President, Operations
Lynne M. Bohan, Vice President, Public Relations and Government Affairs
Theresa M. Bresten, Vice President, Treasurer
Gary R. Kaneb, Chief Financial Officer
Jeffrey J. Kaneb, Vice President
John A. Kaneb, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer

James A. Marcinelli, Vice President, Controller

Paul C. Nightingale, Senior Vice President, General Counsel

Margaret A. Poole, Ph.D., Vice President, Quality Systems and Regulatory Affairs
Christopher S. Ross, Vice President, Marketing
Mike J. Suever, Senior Vice President, R&D, Engineering and Procurement
Francis V. Torgerson, Vice President, Operations Services
James F. Walsh, Executive Vice President, Sales

Products:
Hood produces a variety of branded, private label, licensed, and franchise products including milk, cultured foods, citrus, extended shelf-life dairy, frozen desserts, non-dairy and specialty drinks.

Customers:
Chains and independent retailers, convenience stores, food service channels and in New England, home delivery customers.

CooknCajun
Tue, Jan-06-09, 20:03
You're welcome, Liz! I have recipes for Evaporated Milk and for Sweetened Condensed Milk, too. I'll be happy to share if you're interested. :)

I'd greatly appreciate recipes for these, many thanks.

CC

Gypsybyrd
Tue, Jan-06-09, 22:13
I'd greatly appreciate recipes for these, many thanks.

CC

They are posted at the bottom of page 1 of this thread. :)

vettelvr
Sun, Jan-11-09, 18:38
I live in the middle Georgia area and we still have it at the Ingles supermarket.