PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

PghLady74
Mon, Oct-06-08, 19:17
Just got a membership after years of not belonging.
Tell me what YOU buy there.

Come on now....how many people actually look under this section? Plus I wasn't asking about low carb products specifically ;)

Lie2MeJL
Mon, Oct-06-08, 20:39
Emerald cocoa almonds, Davinci syrups, other nuts, sometimes eggs, heavy cream, meat (roasts, rib-eyes)- although I think their ground beef is NASTY!, berries, salads, dressings, Splenda...I know I find more there but I'm drawing a blank right now :)

CValentine
Mon, Oct-06-08, 21:41
I buy the institutional size cans of Ranch beans, Green Beans & Tomato products. I also buy the 5# slabs of bacon & the bulk fresh broccoli. I am feeding 3 adults - 1 teen -2 kids & a toddler, we eat alot! We save alot - I look insane walking out with a dozen huge cans everyother week, but I'm saving $$!!
~Cheryl

pecan
Tue, Oct-07-08, 01:52
Emerald cocoa almonds, Davinci syrups, other nuts, sometimes eggs, heavy cream, meat (roasts, rib-eyes)- although I think their ground beef is NASTY!, berries, salads, dressings, Splenda...I know I find more there but I'm drawing a blank right now :)

all of these items except dressing and meat plus

string cheese, mozzarella cheese, organic spring mix, avocados, garlic, onions, shrimp, salmon, crab; raw almonds, walnuts, pecans; portable pistachios, peanuts, cashews, atkins bars and shakes, zipfizz, canned asparagus and green beans, black pepper and other spices, lemon juice

and

dvds, magazines, computer paper and ink, markers/pencils/pens, laminating sheets, colored paper

of course, not all of this every time. still costs $100 each trip.

also, those emerald cocoa almonds are AMAZING..

BetsyJ64
Tue, Oct-07-08, 06:52
I always buy my heavy crem there - half the price that supermarkets charge.

joylorene
Tue, Oct-07-08, 08:45
I love their shredded lettuce - it just tastes better than if I try to shred a head at home oh and their shredded cheese and huge bottles of litehouse blue cheese dressing

MiaKea1
Tue, Oct-07-08, 11:53
I buy eggs, heavy cream, cream cheese, butter, shredded mozzarrella, and milk (for my hubby and daughter). I also buy my macadamia nuts, DV syrups, olive oil, coffee, and meats from Sams.

That just covers my LC stuff.....I also buy a lot of other things there because I just love Sam's prices!!

PghLady74
Tue, Oct-07-08, 18:50
Anyone else shop at Sams?

HalfPass
Wed, Oct-08-08, 04:07
I don't get there very often, but my main purchase is a big bag of whey protein. They have the lowest carb/best tasting, about 26.00 for a really huge bag.I also buy bulk veggies and sometimes things like cheese. It is just my husband and myself, so the quantities of most things are too large for practicality.
I am always astounded by the vast array of processed foods.

Annie1gi
Wed, Oct-08-08, 04:25
Olive oil, spices, salt and pepper mills, steaks, roasts, pork chops, cheese, toilet paper, paper plates, garbage bags, health and beauty stuff, cleaners, milk, cream, butter, their veggie section is great, nuts really good values. Salad dressings.....I could go on. :)

Huskerchic
Wed, Oct-08-08, 06:51
Bagged shredded lettuce, 4 lbs cans of Starkist Tuna (a lifesaver for me...), Atkins shakes/bars, LC Tortillas, 10 lbs rolls of hamburger.....

I LOVE Sam's !!

zorra_1
Wed, Oct-08-08, 07:15
I think everyone else mentioned what I get, but I think it's just amazing that what I've saved on the purchase of heavy cream alone (saved $2/qt) over the year I had my Sam's membership more than covered the cost of the membership. Plus, with Philly blocks (8 oz) pushing $1.59 here, the big log from Sam's (48 oz maybe?) at under $6 was a steal and for some reason it keeps really well (no spoiling if I keep for a while). Oh, how could I forget!! Tequila-Lime wings!

Every once in a while they have neat little seasonal/limited time things that interest me; SF iced tea mixes, hot cocoa mixes, Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes <- perhaps that shouldn't be included!

BetsyJ64
Wed, Oct-08-08, 07:56
Oh, I can add one more thing...BOOKS!! If you read a lot, you can't beat their paperback prices. I buy Christmas gifts there in the book section (hardcovers, too, for amazing prices).

Lie2MeJL
Wed, Oct-08-08, 08:06
Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes Do they sell sugar free frozen cheesecakes??

I have been looking EVERYWHERE to find a frozen SF cheesecake. I would be so thrilled if I could find one someday.

I feel like there has to be one out there somewhere (I always check trader joes) since it has to be one of the easiest SF desserts. On that note, I realize I could make one myself but I really just wanna have a convenience cheesecake on hand :)

Huskerchic
Wed, Oct-08-08, 08:13
I forgot..........I also get my Jack Daniels there as well....!!

WOO HOO !!

PghLady74
Wed, Oct-08-08, 09:04
I think everyone else mentioned what I get, but I think it's just amazing that what I've saved on the purchase of heavy cream alone (saved $2/qt) over the year I had my Sam's membership more than covered the cost of the membership. Plus, with Philly blocks (8 oz) pushing $1.59 here, the big log from Sam's (48 oz maybe?) at under $6 was a steal and for some reason it keeps really well (no spoiling if I keep for a while). Oh, how could I forget!! Tequila-Lime wings!

Every once in a while they have neat little seasonal/limited time things that interest me; SF iced tea mixes, hot cocoa mixes, Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes <- perhaps that shouldn't be included!

$1.59??? Ours is 2.09!!!! I DID find at Harry & David cream cheese for 2/$3 plus I get a mall discount. I actually like the H&D brand better! And they are right across the walkway from my store at the Outlet....don't know if that is good or bad! :lol:

PghLady74
Wed, Oct-08-08, 09:06
I forgot..........I also get my Jack Daniels there as well....!!

WOO HOO !!

:lol: Those of us in PA have to go to a state store to buy it!

PghLady74
Wed, Oct-08-08, 09:07
Oh, I can add one more thing...BOOKS!! If you read a lot, you can't beat their paperback prices. I buy Christmas gifts there in the book section (hardcovers, too, for amazing prices).

I don't remember seeing books...but then again I wasn't really looking! I will this time!

By the way, how can you reply to multiple messages in 1 on here?

cjan
Wed, Oct-08-08, 21:32
I love to shop at Sam's!!
I buy hamburger, roast, steak, pork chops, sausage, bacon, and I love their rotisserie chicken. I get the bags of broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots for when I make stir fry. It's the only place I buy my whipping cream, butter, & eggs. I would like to get my cream cheese there but I'm afraid it would spoil before it was used up. I buy most of the groceries for my family there. I also buy my laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, books, DVD's, and we use their pharmacy too. The only real problem I have shopping at Sam's is that I always spend too much $$$.

Duranimal
Wed, Oct-08-08, 21:51
I like the 4 pound bags of frozen brocolli, the frozen angus burgers one type fully cooked and the other type is not (both are great), also big bags of catfish, and can't forget the frozen fully cooked chicken breast, my daughter loves them, calls them chicken-steak.

Huskerchic
Thu, Oct-09-08, 08:45
cjan: I know what you mean........everytime I go it is AT LEAST $75.00.

BringIt
Thu, Oct-09-08, 10:21
Its because everything you touch is 10$ it seems. Go for a Case of Bottled Water and Leave with 5 things instead.. 65$! geeze

catsrus
Thu, Oct-09-08, 13:36
I don't get there very often, but my main purchase is a big bag of whey protein. They have the lowest carb/best tasting, about 26.00 for a really huge bag.I also buy bulk veggies and sometimes things like cheese. It is just my husband and myself, so the quantities of most things are too large for practicality.
I am always astounded by the vast array of processed foods.

I NEVER thought of looking for whey protein there. What section do you find it in?

catsrus
Thu, Oct-09-08, 13:42
Bagged shredded lettuce, 4 lbs cans of Starkist Tuna (a lifesaver for me...), Atkins shakes/bars, LC Tortillas, 10 lbs rolls of hamburger.....

I LOVE Sam's !!

How much are Atkins bars there?
And 4 lb cans of tuna?
DD has a membership & she gets my Splenda for me there.
I believe the primary things she gets and feels are a real bargin are salsa and cat litter.

Huskerchic
Thu, Oct-09-08, 14:38
The tuna is about $5.00 a can, I can't remember how much the bars were.

You can get the Whey Protein in the same place where they have the Atkins, Slimfast, etc stuff.

MizKitty
Thu, Oct-09-08, 15:08
My favorite product there is the big package of Hormel Black Label pre-cooked bacon. I think it's 72 strips. It's consistently delicious and I love having cooked bacon ready to grab in the fridge.

Member's Mark Exceed Dry Dog food
fresh Meat
lunch meat
Heavy cream
Rotisserie chicken
Cheese
Frozen Tequila Lime chicken wings
Eggs
Chicken salad - in a tub over in the refrigerator section - it's delicious

My Sam's stopped carrying President Butter - before that was the best price on premium butter I had found.

Sam's carries large bags of organic whole bean fair trade coffee. The brand is Marquis de Parva... that's the house coffee at my house, it's excellent.

Legal Diva
Thu, Oct-09-08, 21:27
Those of us in PA have to go to a state store to buy it!

This brought back memories for me. My aunt lives in Arkansas and wine down here in Louisiana (especially at Sam's) was much cheaper than in Little Rock. So when I would go up to see her I would go out to Sam's and buy several cases of her and her co-worker's favorite wine. Grandma who also lived in Arkansas loved onions and ate them every meal except breakfast until she passed away at 93.

One day I was heading to Arkansas so I went to Sam's and bought two cases of wine, a box of Vidalia onions, and the big honkin' packages of toilet paper. I turned down the aisle and ran smack into our preacher. I tried to carry on a conversation without causing too much attention to all the wine, the onions, and the toilet paper.

I wondered as I left Sam's what he mut have thought - that my plans for the weekend included gettin' drunk, eatin' onions, and going to the bathroom - a lot!

Huskerchic
Fri, Oct-10-08, 06:43
HMMMMM....I keep seeing "Tequila Lime Chicken Wings" as a thing a lot of people seem to buy at Sam's.

I may have to keep that in mind next time I go! Do you just bake them in the oven?

MizKitty
Fri, Oct-10-08, 08:15
Huskerchic, those wings are very good for a seasoned, ready to eat product. A 4 pc serving is 200 calories, 2 carbs, 20 g protein, 13 g fat.
Yes, they taste best baked in the oven, but they're not bad microwaved either.
The big thing is the price. Regular grocery stores carry these (they're by Tyson) in a much smaller bag for about the same price.

Legal Diva, funny story!

BetsyJ64
Fri, Oct-10-08, 08:28
For awhile at Sams they had these really good little pieces of chicken wrapped in bacon (I think they were supposed to be appetizers). 8 of them were a serving, and it was very low carb. Haven't seen them there in awhile, and they were really good! They were frozen.

MizKitty
Fri, Oct-10-08, 09:15
Betsy, my Sam's carries bacon-wrapped steak bites in the frozen appetizers section.... I buy them occasionally, they're really good too. Try them if you see them.

Samantha22
Fri, Oct-10-08, 09:35
We have a BJ's coming down the street..i can't wait.
I used to shop at sams but its just too far away...
The things i like to stock up on:
Chewing gum
Sweetener
Heavy Cream
Sliced and shredded cheeses
Chicken wings (frozern)
Tylenol and cold medicines, razors, shaving cream
They have beautiful live flowers that i love....for reasonable prices
Toilet paper, paper towels
Canned veggies
Frozen veggies
Frozen chicken breasts

zorra_1
Fri, Oct-10-08, 09:45
How much are Atkins bars there?
And 4 lb cans of tuna?
I think sometimes the prices may vary slightly regionally - here in the city, the prices are higher...

...but if you go to Sam's website and choose the Sam's that you'll be shopping at, you can see the exact prices on line. :thup:

Lickrish
Wed, Oct-15-08, 21:31
I love Sams!

I buy the BIG bag of Hormel Real bacon bits
The block of Philadelphia cream cheese
gallon of mayo (lol) I make my own salad dressings.
3 lb box ? of Oscar Mayer hotdogs
Tub of Sour Cream (Daisy)
Romaine Hearts
Tomatoes
Iceberg Lettuce
giant tub of pork rinds (have only bought them once. I use them for breading only)
mushrooms

check out the meats they usually have some marked down.

If I could get a shopping spree I'd buy more. ;)

Lie2MeJL
Thu, Oct-16-08, 07:49
giant tub of pork rinds (have only bought them once. I use them for breading only)

Your sams club has pork rinds?!?! Every time go there I think to myself... I wish sams club had pork rinds.

Huskerchic
Thu, Oct-16-08, 10:27
They used to those big tubs of pork rinds at the Sam's in Lincoln, but they quit !!!

They were Utz's brand and they were pretty good......I miss them !!

Lie2MeJL
Thu, Oct-16-08, 11:45
Maybe my problem is I usually skip the "snack" section. Is that where you found them?? Also, were they just the plain kind or did they have the spicy ones?? Old dutch spicy pork rinds are my favorite :)

Huskerchic
Thu, Oct-16-08, 12:46
They were in with the "snacky" stuff....cheeze balls, chips, etc.

The only kind they had were plain and BBQ, and I didn't want BBQ because sugar was listed in the ingredients.

Lickrish
Fri, Oct-17-08, 06:22
Your sams club has pork rinds?!?! Every time go there I think to myself... I wish sams club had pork rinds.

Ours has them by the bakery and loaves of bread. Not by the big bags of chips.

PghLady74
Sat, Oct-18-08, 04:18
WOW! Thanks to everyone my list will be a mile long! Thanks!!!

Annie1gi
Sat, Oct-18-08, 04:37
The quality of beef there is amazing.....I think I forgot about that, I have NEVER had a bad steak there! You know how sometimes you can buy "good" steak and it just sux, well, my Sam's has the best quality steak. Kind of surprising that my Walmart steak sucks! Seeing as they are related! I really hate the meat at my Walmart.

Cream.....I see it was mentioned, I forgot about cream and butter is soooooo much cheaper!

Diet soda's and diet Lipton iced flavored teas are so much cheaper there than anywhere, and coffee too! All are staples here......

MizKitty
Sat, Oct-18-08, 09:27
Annie, I agree! Sam's steaks are always delicious, better than a steak houses. But the Super Walmart I buy from is a close second. It seems the same, just not cut as thick and usually considerably more expensive per pound, too.

ILoveMyKit
Fri, Oct-24-08, 22:14
i need to start getting my cream cheese there it looks like.
and i keep hearing those steaks with bacon appetizer things... need to try them too

justducky2
Sat, Oct-25-08, 20:08
Do they sell sugar free frozen cheesecakes??

I have been looking EVERYWHERE to find a frozen SF cheesecake. I would be so thrilled if I could find one someday.

I feel like there has to be one out there somewhere (I always check trader joes) since it has to be one of the easiest SF desserts. On that note, I realize I could make one myself but I really just wanna have a convenience cheesecake on hand :)

Cheesecake Factory DOES sell a lo carb cheesecake...

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Oct-26-08, 12:07
I know but do they sell it frozen at grocery stores and places like sams club?? I ALWAYS look.

justducky2
Mon, Oct-27-08, 07:49
I know but do they sell it frozen at grocery stores and places like sams club?? I ALWAYS look.

No, I don't think that they do. It would probably be worthwhile to write and ask them to!!!

PghLady74
Wed, Nov-05-08, 09:22
Finally made it to Sams yesterday. I was excited to find the bacon wrap things till I got home and realized it was turkey I grabbed!!! Of course it says low fat and lean. Not what I want. BUT I am going to keep them and just have melted butter to dunk it in while I eat.

I also got a 5lb bag of green beans to make green bean fries.
Got a few bottles of DaVincis.
2 boxes of Slim jims (1 is for my boss)
24 pk diet green tea
Fuze
marinated artichoke hearts
regular artichoke hearts
thick cut baconpantene shampoo & conditioner
shaving gel
heavy cream
fish oil

equistar
Mon, Mar-09-09, 15:57
I love Sam's, I buy my corned beef ( I boil my with at least half chicken broth), packaged Carnitas (roasted pork microwaves in 10 minutes), Michael Angelo's Chicken Picatta (4 net carbs/serving), Salmon Fillets, fresh Haricot Verts which are tiny french snap beans (just cut the corner of the bag and nuke for 5 minutes then season as you like - they have a slight nutty flavor to them), Slim Fast Low Carb Shakes (2 net carbs), EAS Whey Protein (3 carbs), Edamame, Bigelow green tea (best iced or hot tea), most of my cheeses, Orange Roughy Fish (I toss them with S&P and olive oil cook in a non-stick pan on medium heat till golden brown on each side so they have a little 'crunch' to them, same with the salmon) and the steaks ( I always get filets) are very good quality considering Wal-Mart's filets were awful. Chicken is my least favorite meat but they have good prices on their chicken breasts, Oh yeah, I sometimes buy a case of canned green beans and some alfredo sauce so I can make a quick bacon, greenbean alfredo dish when I'm in a hurry (a little alfredo goes a long way).
Toni

equistar
Mon, Mar-09-09, 16:04
Well, I posted before I read everyone's post, you guys have some great ideas - I'll have to try the Tequila Wings among others. Great thread.

GrooveJock
Sat, Mar-21-09, 00:55
Update on Sams: We got amazing pork butt the other day. Broke it up in 3 massive servings. Threw one in the crock post last night with a few onion slices.. Cooked for 8 hours, drained the liquid and broke the pork up, added KC masterpiece SF bbq sauce. OMG.. Soooooo good.. Cost of meal for 2 with 3 big leftover servings: 6.23 each...